Author Topic: Gust making a spiritual successor to Ar Tonelico: Ar no Surge

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
Re: Gust making a spiritual successor to Ar Tonelico: Ar no Surge
« Reply #210 on: October 05, 2014, 10:07:50 PM »
There are actually a lot of troll-ish responses available in this game.  I'm sort of curious what happens if you go full-out troll for the whole thing...

Zendervai

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 06, 2014, 10:46:53 PM »
Minor spoilers (Not entirely sure how to spoiler block on this forum.)

Well, I just beat the game and I got the Ion/Earthes True Ending. I want more! This game was amazing. Yeah, it was obviously low budget and there were romanization issues, but if the story of Ar Tonelico II could shine through that awful translation, this game just needs some polishing.

Oh, and the song Ra Ciel Reincarnation is one of the most gorgeous things I have ever heard.

I hope more of the EXA_PICO universe is planned.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 10:54:58 PM by Zendervai »

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 07, 2014, 01:55:00 PM »
I wonder what Ar Tonelico games would be like if Gust had Final Fantasy sized budgets... Would their games as a whole be as amazing as the soundtracks or would they spend most of it rendering panties to perfection?

raisel

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 07, 2014, 03:43:59 PM »
I'm pretty sure the games would have been a lot better if they had a larger budget and were allowed to have a longer development cycle, since as we've seen so far, they all have suffered from bugs and a general lack of polish since the very first game (the Misha bug in AT1, the infinite money glitch in the JP AT2, the dummied out content like a couple of puzzles in AT2 and AT3; and some tutorials and the possibility of revisiting Gaea during AT2's final Phase, the bug festival that Ciel nosurge was initially, and the progress-impeding bugs in Ar nosurge's initial release; leaving out the problems caused by the localizations). I have the feeling that Tsuchiya and his team actually know what they want to do, but their projects are far too ambitious or require more resources than what Gust/Koei-Tecmo is willing to invest in them, considering they always are getting eclipsed by the Atelier team.
Ma ki ga exec aulla ganna dand oz ee ciel. mAtyAy aje lyuma/.
N waw W an-pu kiu-wa-fen-ne miriu-du ahih=yeta-a;
QuelI-> { EXwI[cez]->{ic-p ciel}->{ic-b ciol};}->ExeC->{DW};

Cyril

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 07, 2014, 04:34:26 PM »
I agree.  I think the teams handle the situation rather well and release (mostly) completed products;  it never really feels like half of the game was cut, like in some other developers/games that I won't mention, so the cuts made were at least smooth.  I do feel like they understand their limitations and plan accordingly. 

That being said, to answer the above question, GUST has using more performer variety recently in their games, so I think that if they did have proper funding they would continue adding prominent singers or singers who just sound "different."  For example, chmod b111000000/n from AT3 was much lower than normal. I greatly appreciated it and find it a very interesting song because of it.  And ORIGA did a beautiful job in Ar no Surge.  In Atelier Shallie they've used, for example, matryoshka to create a really interesting effect.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 07, 2014, 04:41:13 PM »
I wonder what Ar Tonelico games would be like if Gust had Final Fantasy sized budgets... Would their games as a whole be as amazing as the soundtracks or would they spend most of it rendering panties to perfection?

For one, they might want to be their own company again rather than a subsidiary of Koei Temco.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Zendervai

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 08, 2014, 02:14:28 PM »
Looking at the openings for the Ar Tonelico trilogy, I noticed something interesting in the translations. All three have a bit at the beginning where they reference separating the listener from one world and showing them another. Did they have the idea for the meta stuff all the way back there? Ar Tonelico Qoga even has a program command line at the beginning.

Cyril

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 08, 2014, 02:29:08 PM »
Edit: Meh, nevermind.  Have a neat song related to your observation above instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_JyfRQc1B0
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 02:39:40 PM by Cyril »

raisel

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 08, 2014, 09:57:33 PM »
Looking at the openings for the Ar Tonelico trilogy, I noticed something interesting in the translations. All three have a bit at the beginning where they reference separating the listener from one world and showing them another. Did they have the idea for the meta stuff all the way back there? Ar Tonelico Qoga even has a program command line at the beginning.

That only applies to the openings for the first and second games (and their remixes), as the opening for AT3 is only a retelling of Ar Ciel's story. As for what these summoning lines mean, here's what Tsuchiya himself explained on the Ar Portal about the remix for the AT1 opening:

"This is the same as the opening lines in Harmonics EOLIA. This is like an invitation, asking us to come from our world (reality world) to visit Harvestasya's world. You can consider it like a "summoning" spell."

So it's more like "come and see what the world that song comes from is like" instead the feeling of "we summon you to help us" the Ar nosurge opening has, which even includes REON-4213 command lines in its lyrics made specifically for that purpose.

As for the program command line in AT3, do you mean the FLIP=>TOWER_OF_AR_TONELICO_III TARGET=>TYRIA_ANSUL_HARVESTASHA from the video?
Ma ki ga exec aulla ganna dand oz ee ciel. mAtyAy aje lyuma/.
N waw W an-pu kiu-wa-fen-ne miriu-du ahih=yeta-a;
QuelI-> { EXwI[cez]->{ic-p ciel}->{ic-b ciol};}->ExeC->{DW};