Author Topic: Misc. Gaming News Topic

Hathen

• View Profile
Re: Misc. Gaming News Topic
« Reply #2265 on: January 23, 2019, 02:58:27 AM »
True to how Langrisser usually is, it's more "RPGish" than Fire Emblem is, with the equipment slots, all kinds of character upgrades, flashy numbers and the like, so I'm under the impression this is one of those cases where they'll probably lean harder into straight numerical powercreeping (FEH does that too but from what I understand FEH's actually one of the more lenient in those terms). This game also has PvP but it's probably going to be even more whale-dominated than FEH is, so I say just take the game casually and don't stress about keeping up-to-date with whatever stupid meta forms. I pretty much have only fought Beginner matches and it looks like I can get the standard weekly rewards just doing that.

Also it has the Masaya logo on it, but is supposedly developed by some Chinese company. I honestly know jack about the Chinese gaming industry so I have no idea where Zlongame fits in here and if this is supposed to be standard Chinese mobage quality, but putting all that aside it does feel unpolished UI-wise. The first thing everyone points out is that there's a public chat box that's basically always on and can't be hidden, and by default they have that niconicovideo style crowd-yelling floating text thing toggled on for whatever reason. The latter is easily toggled off, but I don't even understand why the former exists- a single line from the general chat channel probably is rarely going to do me any good, and it can get in the way of some other UI elements (Using iPhone SE FTR).

There's a lot of pretty tiny buttons (but to be fair, not much smaller than some of the icons in Dragalia Lost for example) which makes all the menu flipping kinda annoying. Also lots and lots of menus in menus in menus. Someone should clean this shit up.

By far the worst part of the UI though, is how dialogue boxes work- for some reason dialogue rolls in and there's no speed control, and if you touch the screen while the dialogue is rolling in it will skip the line instead of just displaying it all immediately as most games do. The single dialogue speed is actually decently fast so it's not unbearable to sit through or anything, but I've had several cases where I accidentally skipped lines either through fatfingering or just muscle memory.

Speaking of the dialogue, the translation is pretty shoddy in many parts, but I'm not going to be too hard on it. I spotted a few goofed line placements and Engrish, but it wasn't enough that I didn't know what was happening (though I'm already familiar with Langrisser's story so that might contribute).

Finally, the most unpleasant map I've done so far is the spacetime fold thingy sending me to that one chapter in Langrisser II where you're running away from the fire at Jessica's house. On this map if Jessica dies, you lose, but if you don't clear enemies in the back before charging forward to escape Jessica just decides she wants to stand in the fire to do 5 damage to that stupid Falcon Knight I left behind and then die immediately.

Anyway tl;dr is: Having some fun, probably won't get too invested though. Hopefully generates interest in the series and we'll get that proper I&II remake ported.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: January 23, 2019, 07:14:21 PM »
^ this. The last sentence at least.  Though I won't get my hopes too high up.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: February 01, 2019, 05:30:56 PM »
My complaints fall along similar lines, @Hathen . I'm enjoying it for what it is (and I find the battles are actually quite fun), but it isn't without flaws. The menu-flipping is particularly annoying when trying to upgrade or equip characters. But I also hope that it will do well enough to generate even the smallest possibility that the Langrisser 1 and 2 remakes will be released outside Japan.