Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #7470 on: August 14, 2017, 12:36:52 AM »
Set Darksiders 2 and FFXII:TZA aside as I try and catch up on the Neptunia games in anticipation of Cyberdimension (Yes, I 've reached peak garbage gamer when it comes to that series... Er... I mean... No, YOU'VE watched the new trailer 5 times)

Currently on Chapter 4 of Re:Birth 3. The game is a great entry, but there are WAY too many characters in the PC version with all the included DLC (Hell, there's both a standard and young version of IF and Compa, which is REALLY FRIGGIN' WEIRD!) and the fact that a lot of both mundane and useful features are locked behind the game's "Challenges" makes for some really annoying moments. For instance, in order to unlock "Menu Voices" for each character, you have to win a fight with low health 20 times. Now, this pretty much occurs naturally for characters you use a lot, but it's also a really tough thing to do intentionally (The game doesn't count it unless you lost majority of your health in that fight... so no going around farming at low HP). Which means for a good chunk of the game you have the same one or two characters quipping the same lines every time you open the menu (Well, I guess you could just not use the Menu Voices Plan, but... shut up.)

But I'm still having a lot of fun with it. I love how this series can get super serious (for lulz of course) about everything being canon simply because it's all meta nonsense anyway. Some of the new areas (finally!) have been kinda neat conceptually, like the grasslands made to look like a hex grid from a strategy game. And while I normally couldn't care less about the music in Neptunia games, the villain theme in this game is a really fun listen. Thematically it's a bit like a cross between Enigmatic Scheme from Unlimited SaGa and that pirate theme from Shadow Hearts 3.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7471 on: August 14, 2017, 12:41:55 AM »
XBCN3DS: Welp. The Frontier Village/Alcamoth two-hit combo has struck again and now I'm trying to clear out a bunch of sidequests I stuck on the backburner. Given that this is the end of my summer vacation, my time for gaming will become very short in the near future, and its unlikely that I'll get out from this for awhile to come.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #7472 on: August 14, 2017, 01:39:56 PM »
Tales o Vesperia [Xbox 360] - Zaude has risen from the oceanic depths... It's good to have Ba'ul and Estelle back. I hate it when games make you go without your main healer for a while. I get that it's about mixing it all up, and presenting a different challenge, but that doesn't make it any less annoying.
I admit I consulted a FAQ for the solution to the angel statue puzzle while in Zaphias castle. I've disliked the layout of said castle ever since going there in the very beginning of the game, and I wasn't looking to spend any extra time there.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #7473 on: August 17, 2017, 04:23:40 AM »
So since Thracia 776 doesn't really have a good translation patch (apparently a better one is being worked on right now), I'll hold off on playing it for now. I guess I could just open some translation script on the internet or even brush up on my Japanese skills, but I'm feeling lazy. Decided to instead replay FE6, but I figured I might as well do something different so I'll try playing with the crappiest characters possible. Far as I can figure is:

Shoe-ins: Gwendolyn (Wendy), Cath, Sophia. Roy technically belongs here because he's probably the worst Lord in the series, but he's forced on you anyway.
Probably: Wolt, Ward, Lot, the other two Armors, Hugh.
Definitely Not: Any of the Cavaliers/Paladins, Dieck, Rutger, Shin, Melady, Niime, Yoder.

I'm open to suggestions.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7474 on: August 17, 2017, 11:08:33 AM »
So since Thracia 776 doesn't really have a good translation patch (apparently a better one is being worked on right now), I'll hold off on playing it for now. I guess I could just open some translation script on the internet or even brush up on my Japanese skills, but I'm feeling lazy. Decided to instead replay FE6, but I figured I might as well do something different so I'll try playing with the crappiest characters possible. Far as I can figure is:

Shoe-ins: Gwendolyn (Wendy), Cath, Sophia. Roy technically belongs here because he's probably the worst Lord in the series, but he's forced on you anyway.
Probably: Wolt, Ward, Lot, the other two Armors, Hugh.
Definitely Not: Any of the Cavaliers/Paladins, Dieck, Rutger, Shin, Melady, Niime, Yoder.

I'm open to suggestions.

You're gonna want to head towards Illa for Juno then. You'll also probably want to grab Bartre and Elffin as well if for no other reason than to do things differently than the usual extra Gonzalez levels plus Larum and Echidna. Garret should also be on your list for breaking the looks convention harder than Gonzalez (on top of being another Axe using prepromote). In fact, try to stick to Axes and you should do fine for bad units. And I wouldn't underestimate the stank of some of your mounted options in this game. Marcus and Zelot are really bad past their expiration dates, and Cecilia also has a really bad start (although I suppose she is trainable if underwhelming). Elen's pretty bad as well if you need to resort to a Staffbot (and you will given all the Status Staves floating around). If you want to use Hugh either be as cheap as possible or buy him for full price then immediately permabench his ass.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7475 on: August 18, 2017, 03:01:03 AM »
Played most of the way through Okami in the past week. I made it to Kamui after about 13 hours of play, which I think is probably the fastest I've ever played through this game so far. Of course, that's mostly because of the new game plus feature, but even then I've never played through it so quickly. I should be able to finish it up this weekend.

I'm also kind of laughing somewhat because Capcom is releasing a port of Okami HD for the PS4 in December. This game must be just a solid money maker for them if they keep releasing it on each new system that comes along. And I'll probably be the sucker who buys it again. Oh well.

Anyway, the semester has started. I still have some free time over the weekend, but won't have much after that, so I may not be as active on the forums when that happens.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #7476 on: August 18, 2017, 07:26:10 AM »
You're gonna want to head towards Illa for Juno then. You'll also probably want to grab Bartre and Elffin as well if for no other reason than to do things differently than the usual extra Gonzalez levels plus Larum and Echidna. Garret should also be on your list for breaking the looks convention harder than Gonzalez (on top of being another Axe using prepromote). In fact, try to stick to Axes and you should do fine for bad units. And I wouldn't underestimate the stank of some of your mounted options in this game. Marcus and Zelot are really bad past their expiration dates, and Cecilia also has a really bad start (although I suppose she is trainable if underwhelming). Elen's pretty bad as well if you need to resort to a Staffbot (and you will given all the Status Staves floating around). If you want to use Hugh either be as cheap as possible or buy him for full price then immediately permabench his ass.

Yeah, I'll probably use both Ellen and Clarine. Clarine's on a horse but I've honestly never found her that good because of her dinky Mag stat, whereas Ellen's a borderline case. Saul's the meta choice for healer so I'll skip him. Late-game there's way too many Berserk and Sleep staves flying around and without Restore staves the safest way to deal with it is to just wait the turns out before advancing (unless you're using all the gamebreakers, in which case you can probably just rush through map with your horses and fliers), which is just wasting time in the end.

Gonzales is a pretty decent unit even on the B route IIRC, and Bartre's a pretty decent prepromote too (though not as useful as Echidna), so I'll probably skip both of them. Trying to decide whether I'll allow myself to use Elffin. Lack of a dancer/bard would be cruel but necessary if I want to go all-in on torturing myself. I've actually never used Garret before so I suppose that'll be a nice mixup (though it'll suck needing to bring Lilina to recruit him when she'll probably be level 1 as I consider her a pretty solid character and inappropriate for this run).

Also yeah, Hugh will be bought for minimum price, of course. Anything else is not bad enough!

Der Jermeister

• Journey of the Cursed Fur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7477 on: August 18, 2017, 01:44:33 PM »
I beat Stick of Truth. Good, but not great, since the fart / puzzle mechanics were somewhat esoteric, and I noticed a glitch where the messages telling you how to use skills became garbled, and necessitated that I quit and restart the game.

I'm up to the one-hour mark in Dragon Quest VIII 3DS, and I'm a little lost but still having fun. Like how they actually show how many skill points are necessary to get new skills when using skill points from leveling.

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 71 Purple-cosmo-ninja-ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7478 on: August 19, 2017, 02:09:34 AM »
I am still sick as sin!!!! This is the longest I have ever been sick and it is seriously inhibiting my ability to game, post or, ya know.. DO ANYTHING AT ALL. I think the plague is finally leaving my body based on the fact that every gland or node I have is swollen.

Anyhooooo...

Persona 5-- Finally polished off the 2nd palace and am in the longwinded "in between stuff happening" phase. I don't know what to say about this anymore but clearly I am gonna keep playing it until I either end up loving it or finish it still waiting to love it.

As an interesting aside I've developed a profound interest in actually reading tarot cards.

Plants vs Zombies 2-- I think I am starting to not entirely suck at this. At the very least I am starting to actually get kills in multiplayer and not rank at the bottom of every match. At the end of the day though it doesn't matter so long as I rack up coins for more unlocks (obsession)
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #7479 on: August 19, 2017, 10:22:04 PM »
Just hit chapter 8 of HD Neptunia Rebirth 3. Really happy the game is a bit shorter than 2. With CD Neptunia changing from Winter 2017 to October 10th, I've got a bit of catching up to do still in not nearly as much time as I thought. Still think I can make it so long as my homework load next month doesn't end up being overwhelming.

As for the game itself, the last chapter or two had WAY too many boob jokes (I mean, most of the time, any boob jokes are too many, but these just went on forever), but that's just something I know I have to deal with when it comes to this series. Just too many fun moments to let the awkward ones ruin my enjoyment. I mean, to me Neptunia is junk food gaming at its finest.

Draak

• View Profile
« Reply #7480 on: August 20, 2017, 08:22:33 PM »
- Mass Effect Andromeda

The intro is horrible; no wonder it left the worst impression possible on people who played early and that's not even getting into the animations conundrum. Thankfully, once you explore the first planet, the pace begins to pick up. It's been basically a rehash of ME1, very similar plot points. The whole "why did we leave the Milky Way" reasoning is extremely contrived. I'm just rolling my eyes and applying huge doses of suspension of disbelief else I risk permanently ending up like the Jackie Chan meme.

Combat feels weird, doesn't flow well due to the open zones. Can't compare much to the original trilogy since I haven't touched it since 2012. The enemies are very samey and uninspired, I think ME1 had more variety even during the initial Citadel visit. Maybe it gets a tad better later on.

Dialogue is an unhealthy mix of okayish and cringey. I'ven been spared of most of the drivel by choosing serious interactions in general. I'm trying to play a no-nonsense Ryder and it's been working alright. At times it is better than the Paragon/Renegade system.

The companions might be the second worst bunch I've had the displeasure to interact with, losing to Dragon Age II. Salvageable ones are Drack and Cora, so far. Peebee isn't halfbad if you do not let her go on her oh-i'm-so-loony antics.

Animations were improved but there are still many instances of pingu effect and I've seen a couple of t-poses. Not much point onf dwelling on it, it is what it is, unfortunately.

Overall, I'm liking it, in spite of all the faillings. It is a very flawed game. Worse yet, it has wasted potential written all over it. Imagine what kind of product we would've gotten if Bioware had put those past 5 years + 40 million dollars to good use.

- Edit:

Forgot to mention, while the open world is ye old mmo-style, it is way better than the one in Dragon Age Inquisition. The are quests other than "go gather 10 space chickens."
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 08:30:13 PM by Draak »

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7481 on: August 20, 2017, 09:30:27 PM »
Yeah, compared to DA:I, it's definitely the better game in most respects...but not by much, and I still don't feel much urge to go back to it. The companions were obnoxious as well, to the point where I wanted to go solo for most missions...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #7482 on: August 21, 2017, 10:20:10 AM »
Started Wild Arms 2  for the first time ever. Seems to be a bit of an improvement over Arms 1 overall. The 2D portions are of course excellent, while the 3D is laughably bad. The music stands out in a great way, just like in the first game.
Anyway, I've finished all 3 intros. I'm currently at the point where the blue haired boy and the magic girl go to meet meet the fancy crippled noble guy,  who is recruiting them for ARMS.
... Can't believe I had to look up how to catch the damn cat on the roof earlier in the game. I see part deux is sticking to the vague answers style of the first. Also, the puzzle box intro for the magic girl is tedious horse shit.
These gripes aren't deal breakers. It's still a solid 90s RPG.

Der Jermeister

• Journey of the Cursed Fur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7483 on: August 21, 2017, 01:21:39 PM »
I definitely prefer WA2 to say, Chrono Cross, but the translation is definitely bad at times, particularly regarding Liz and Ard.

I've been gaming more lately, and have put about ten hours into Dragon Quest VIII 3DS. I have a full party now and got my horse and carriage back from Red.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7484 on: August 21, 2017, 02:18:35 PM »
Started Final Fantasy Dimensions while on vacation.  Pretty solid all the way around!  Not huge on the JP and Job Levels mechanic, but that's my only complaint so far.  Only about... 10 or so hours in.  Really enjoying the way they split up the main characters and the whole "Dimensions" hook to the plot.  It's very cool, and made moreso by being in a classic FF style.  It almost feels like playing a "lost" classic FF title.  Really enjoying it.

But now that I'm back, I'll be re-focusing on TZA and Trails 3.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons