Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #8265 on: March 19, 2019, 05:17:01 PM »
Yeah, the APC is easily one of the best, most useful things in all of VC4.  That said, I'm 100% in support of taking your time on maps and enjoying the gameplay. :)
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8266 on: March 22, 2019, 01:34:49 AM »
In older SRPG haps, I continue with my FE1 playthrough. Currently on Chapter 8 where the game finally starts to bear its fangs. Although I have a blessed Caeda who's puttin' in work. Funny how she doesn't even need a busted Prf to bust ass at this stage of the game as long as she can proc her Str/Def growths once or twice (she's got more than enough Spd to double thieves with a Javelin). Marth is of course incredibly busted in this version, but that's par for the course given his utter lack of competition and just the game's general design (he'll be less busted when I start having to drag him all over creation to pick locks and visit villages). I'm still using Axe users despite losing most of their relevancy by this point, but I can start phasing out the rest of the starting losers like Draug and Gordin next chapter. I should probably use Wendell more, but I don't want to bust the game too hard right now (also, I haven't been able to find any new magic tomes for him nor Merric up to this point, although this also changes by now).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Der Jermeister

• Banninated
  • Mission Accomplished
    • View Profile
« Reply #8267 on: March 22, 2019, 07:09:53 PM »
I tried Feudal Alloy on the Switch and thoroughly enjoyed it. One of my first favorite games of the year.

Working on Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition also on my Switch, and think it's great, but not wonderful. There was an error in the synopsis saying that a mansion was east of a city when in actuality it was west, so definite points off for that.

Slowly working on Grandia Xtreme and have mapped the water ruins all the way to what I think is the boss chamber.
Public Blog
LiveJournal
RPG Reviews
DeviantArt Gallery

Every man is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts.
-Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #8268 on: March 29, 2019, 02:23:33 AM »
Taking a break from FE1 because it suddenly dawned on me that I have legal access to the better part of the worthwhile part of the FDS library now. So I promptly beat out a Zelda 1 playthrough, FDS style (unfortunately I don't know how, or if I was even able, to use the Player 2 microphone which meant that I had to beat Pols Voices the hard way; as the Arrow weakness was added as a concession for the NES localization).

While I was at it, I double checked, and you can sequence break Level 8 as your first level if you don't want the Magical Key (or your second level if you do), and you can of course sequence break Levels 1, 2 & 3 due to their relative difficulty levels and lack of progress locking tools, but the rest generally need to be played in order (can't complete Levels 5, 6 or 7 without the Stepladder; can't complete Level 7 without the Recorder either due to a keenly placed Digdogger; 5 and 6 can be completed in either order though as there's no Digdogger fights in Level 6).

That was for the first quest of course, the second quest is even more rigid since Level 2 has the Recorder which you need to beat an early Digdogger in Level 4 which holds the Raft needed to get into 5 to get the Bow necessary to defeat the Gohma Boss of Level 6 while Levels 7 & 8 both have need of the Stepladder (with L8 being physically inaccessible without it); so your only options are Levels 1, 2 or 3 and eventually Levels 7 and 8 as nothing requires the Red Candle or either of the Boomerangs (and hell, you have to go out of your way for the Magical Boomerang due to its placement behind a "Grumble Grumble" Goriya).

Der Jermeister

• Banninated
  • Mission Accomplished
    • View Profile
« Reply #8269 on: March 29, 2019, 10:25:19 AM »
Close to the end of Vesperia on my Switch. Has sort of lost its luster, but it's still good.

Also started the original Red Dead Redemption, and I've enjoyed it thus far, though I've only played an hour.
Public Blog
LiveJournal
RPG Reviews
DeviantArt Gallery

-Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Greganox

• View Profile
« Reply #8270 on: March 31, 2019, 11:57:34 PM »
Started South Park the Fractured but Whole today. I'm still early in the game but so far I like the grid based combat system. I recently won the battle at Raisins and met up with Mosquito.

Der Jermeister

• Banninated
  • Mission Accomplished
    • View Profile
« Reply #8271 on: April 01, 2019, 09:03:33 AM »
Beat Vesperia. I found out a few hours before I beat it that I could change the right analog stick function to cancel instead of confirm ally item use, so my end impression was somewhat positive. Wasn't great, but definitely a good game.

Still haven't made any more progress in Red Dead Redemption.
Public Blog
LiveJournal
RPG Reviews
DeviantArt Gallery

-Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #8272 on: April 16, 2019, 01:48:45 AM »
Now that I'm done with my tour of available Famicom Disk System games, I'm back to FE1 and now on Chapter 12(~ish; I've yet to seize the castle in Ch 11). Barst has now engaged his growths and is making the dough through having double digits on most of his most important stats and nearly 30 HP to boot. Dude's the original Donnel and it sucks that he didn't get treated as such in FEH (although I'm glad he's at least in and one of the ever valuable Reposition fodder so he kinda washed on this).

Also, looking ahead through some guides and goddamn I hope I wasn't planning on using Lena as anything more than a staffbot because promotion items are really goddamn rare in this game (yes, I know they're buyable, but only so in Chapter 23 of 25). Fortunately, so are stat boosters, so its a moot point. I keep forgetting that class specific promotion items always sucked (and the DS remake going to Master Seals was one of the few legit good changes that game made).

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8273 on: April 26, 2019, 08:34:27 PM »
My brother lent me his Nintendo Switch as a Birthday present, though so far I've only played the Smash Bros game he already installed on it. I did unlock all the characters on my own account now, though, so the real fun can begin! It's crazy how there are so many characters, and most of them are reasonably fun to play, save for a few weird ones like Wario or Olimar. I'm still not very good at it, of course, but it's kept me entertained. Hopefully the classic mode will give me a sense of how much (or how little) I'm improving.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #8274 on: April 27, 2019, 01:01:48 AM »
All I've got left for SSBU are some classic mode runs, shopping for the Alts of Fighter Spirits, clearing out the last of Spirits' Summon pool and whatever gaps are left, and grinding fucking Online for the last 66+ random matches which is eating my soul.

As for FE1, I'm currently on Chapter 15, aka the Desert Chapter (thankfully nothing needing to be dug up, but there are Mages everywhere and the reinforcements start up early this map; also Gharnef, but he'll keep to himself, which is good because I can't touch that right now). Also, still not close to anyone actually promoting yet (not that I can promo more than 1 Merc and Cav right now; also 1 Archer, but that would require having an Archer over level 10 and neither of them are there yet because they both suuuuuuck). I'm starting to wish I could at least drop items because I've got more Horseslayers than I could ever want and I'm running out of inventory space (I'm going to have to start pulling losers off of the bench just to have them hold my beer Horseslayers).

Greganox

• View Profile
« Reply #8275 on: April 28, 2019, 06:13:29 PM »
I started playing Wargroove this weekend. So far it's been a quality Advance Wars substitute. I like some of the things if does to stand out such as letting your commanders participate in battles. Most recently I fought my first battle against vampires and that map was quite a difficulty spike but I still managed to get an S-rank.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #8276 on: April 29, 2019, 08:41:12 AM »
DQ XI - Jade and the old man (forgot his name) just joined the party. About to pass through the gates to the wider world. I love how this game reminds me of how I would feel when playing some RPGs back in the day... Like I'm going on a real adventure. Not just jumping through plot hoops.

SSBU - Unlocked all of the fighters. Assuming I'm close to the end of Adventure mode (just completed the Zelda/Hyrule portion).

Just Cause 3 - I've liberated roughly half of the world map at this point. I may have had more done by now, but it's way too easy to caught up in grappling hook-related antics... Especially when you unlock the mods that strengthen said hook.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8277 on: April 29, 2019, 02:06:59 PM »
DQ XI - Jade and the old man (forgot his name) just joined the party. About to pass through the gates to the wider world. I love how this game reminds me of how I would feel when playing some RPGs back in the day... Like I'm going on a real adventure. Not just jumping through plot hoops.

This.  This is important.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Greganox

• View Profile
« Reply #8278 on: May 18, 2019, 09:08:50 PM »
I received Baba is You for my birthday a few days ago. So far I've beaten enough levels in the second world to advance to the third. It's an interesting puzzle game due to the fact you constantly have to change the rules. Some of the puzzles had me stumped for quite a while.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #8279 on: May 21, 2019, 09:32:17 AM »
^ Excellent Avatar. ...Got any cheeseburgers?

DQ11 - Just got the magic key. Time to do some (hopefully fruitful) back tracking. Also, damn the "tragic" mermaid arc. Ended up with more feels than expected.

Just Cause 3 - Liberated most of the map at this point. I've mainly been doing side stuff: Searching for vintage parts and stunt jumps; participating in challenges; etc. I'm trying to get Rico as strong and tricked out as can be before really tackling the story missions.

Banished - This game quickly and easily ate several hours of my weekend. Dangerous.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes