Author Topic: The tri-Ace General Discussion (& Star Ocean 5) Thread

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
Re: The tri-Ace General Discussion (& Star Ocean 5) Thread
« Reply #900 on: August 21, 2017, 10:07:53 PM »
checkers is wearing a firefighter hat?

Nah man. Fire Fighters wouldn't be caught dead with the wings on that thing.

Because seriously, those things would get hooked on all sorts of things, and god help you if one of those things was a badly damaged support beam struggling to bear the load of half of the ceiling to the room you're standing in.

It feels like Star Ocean is becoming a running gag.  Every time, we get hyped up on the potential the franchise has and the hope/promise that it will be an epically interstellar space opera and not, well, pretty much everything we've gotten so far.  The Star Ocean franchise has so much potential, but it just squanders that potential every time.  I want to believe in the franchise, but not when it keeps crying wolf.

Becoming? It was a running gag the moment SO3 decided it really wasn't going to do that whole outer space thing after all. SO1 was a goddamn bait and switch as was 2 but was still novel enough at the time to get away with it. SO3 did the same as well and didn't even have the novelty anymore to get away with it (it did have a fairly early, for a JRPG, PS2 era release instead). SOs 4 & 5 were trainwrecks everyone should've seen coming.

To use a musical metaphor, the Star Ocean series is like one of those one-hit wonder bands that actually put out a lot of stuff, but are only remembered for their one song that didn't suck. Whenever they announce a new song, people immediately assume its going to be like the one-hit wonder because that's all they know of/associate with that band, instead of paying attention to the full body of the band's work which the song will most likely adhere to.

It feels like Star Ocean is becoming a running gag.  Every time, we get hyped up on the potential the franchise has and the hope/promise that it will be an epically interstellar space opera and not, well, pretty much everything we've gotten so far.

Star Ocean 3  had the potential to get there, then that boneheaded, cop out of a twist came.

Case and point.

You remember the twist, but forget that well before that point, you spent the bulk of the game on a string of fetch quests that amounted to nothing more than a colossal waste of time and effort with an incredibly cheap effort to force melodrama into the proceedings by making the principle character of that arc a replica of the girl on the back of the box (complete with a lover who's doomed to die 10 minutes after he's introduced). Meanwhile much of what transpires before the fetch quest chain involves escaping one generic JRPG planet to another JRPG planet where you then escape the evil empire through a series of mines and tunnels before embarking on a massive fetch quest, which occur predominately within mines and tunnels, while everything after the twist is largely more castles, ruins and tunnels before the Moonbase and the rather barebones 4D space.

And in fact, barring the twist, SO3 is basically like every other SO game in that its a bunch of random ass fetch quests on whatever generic JRPG planet you wind up on that amounts to little to nothing achieved due to dumb twists or assloads of random/unbeatable boss fights that exist to hamstring you into whatever plot twist comes up next, and ultimately leading to fighting random Demons, Angels, the Devil (because nothing screams Sci-Fi more than western religious mythology). The twist itself is basically the equivalent of going from Expel to Nede in SO2 or from the Future to the Past in SO1 (and really, the twist itself isn't any more dumb than FE:Fates' Hyperbolic Time Chamber Babies, FFVIII's "We're all from the same Orphanage and most of our backstories don't amount to shit!?" or Bravely Default's Endless Eight Five).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: August 22, 2017, 08:56:33 AM »
checkers is wearing a firefighter hat?

I have literally never looked at her hat.

I don't understand.  Star Ocean 2 is so. Good.  I don't get how they can't recapture that feeling.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: August 22, 2017, 01:56:29 PM »
It feels like Star Ocean is becoming a running gag.  Every time, we get hyped up on the potential the franchise has and the hope/promise that it will be an epically interstellar space opera and not, well, pretty much everything we've gotten so far.

Star Ocean 3  had the potential to get there, then that boneheaded, cop out of a twist came.

Pffft, it squandered a lot more potential than that. The series basically peaked at 2...no wait, that's the only Star Ocean I haven't played yet...by my measure, SO4 is the best in the series until I I finally boot up SO2. I mean, even Star Ocean 1 was a freakin' joke, IIRC. This series is beyond frustrating for me, since yeah: I had been hyped up for (including the remakes) all of the odd-number entries thus far, and came out sorely disappointed. I think the only reason I liked 4 was because my expecations were rock bottom, and I ended up with a B-Movie plot that didn't overstay its welcome, gameplay that was more fun than the previous entry, and pretty much every much every option I had been screaming for while I was playing SO3: The ability to mute individual characters, getting the TL;DR when skipping cutscenes, a dash ability (particularly in the overworld...though, correct me if I'm wrong about that being missing from SO3), faster combat with easy mid-battle character-switching, simpler item creation, and a more reasonable length. Seriously, it actually felt like a few lessons were learned from the previous entry, unlike SO5, oddly enough. If being even slightly better than one of the most disappointing RPGs I've ever played was enough to make me like it, then all SO5 needed was to be a little better than that...
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 01:59:10 PM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: August 22, 2017, 06:06:28 PM »
Please tell me you agree that disc 1 of SO3 is really good.
I mean, it really is (to me)...

The base idea of SO is amazing. High tech people stuck for some reason on a low-tech mysterious world(s) trying to solve their problem but being caught up in some huge event.
You could use this to make something incredible but somehow they ended up making SO5 and crushed my soul.

Chronix112

• Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi
  • Unlimited Insomniac Works
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: August 22, 2017, 07:20:01 PM »

The base idea of SO is amazing. High tech people stuck for some reason on a low-tech mysterious world(s) trying to solve their problem but being caught up in some huge event.
You could use this to make something incredible but somehow they ended up making SO5 and crushed my soul.
Despite some of the points in Aeolus's rant I was enjoying the game game up to the twist. One of the few time I legit raged at a plot twist, after cooling doen I still beat the game out of obligation, but it was found a new home in EBworld right after. (I have hundreds of games. Rarely do I ever trade in or sell games because I am collector, and a tendancy to be a pack rat.)
All is well in the end because Mass Effect latter came, and did the whole space opera thing 100 times better then Star Ocean series could ever hope to.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: August 22, 2017, 07:59:42 PM »

Oh, heavens no. I didn't even make it to disc 2 (ducked out on yet-another-medieval-planet, which might've been a different part of the same planet, but it was hard to tell because of how same-y everything had been since the first crash-landing). The fact that a lot of people are telling me that it gets worse just sealed it as a giant waste of time to me. I already saw enough insane plot twists to make head hurt, the combat was dull, traversing the overworld had some nice ideas with the trophy system that later became a standard part of video games, but often didn't feel worth it because of how many fights you get into and I got tired of running circles around enemies just to fill up the map. Not to mention the item creation was way too convoluted, a lot of the combat mechanics just seemed unnecessary, if not outright broken; the cutscenes dragged on, yet skipping them could mean becoming completely lost for hours at a time (as in spacially. I never had a good grasp of the story); none of the characters were even the least bit interesting - and my standards back then were pretty low compared to what I've experienced since.

(EDIT: I forgot that Aeolus aready had a better rant earlier in the thread. But hey, at least I got to take crack at it.)

And to top it all off...it was ugly. Actually, that's the thing I remember the most that no one really brings up. I had seen enough PS2 RPGs that looked better, had better-animated cutscenes, and a lot more flair to them that SO3 could've really used. Instead, the whole game just felt lifeless to me. I mean, now that I think about it, despite my complaints with SO1, I could at least say it was visually impressive. I haven't played SO2, but I've seen enough footage to say with certainty that it looked really good, for the most part. At least in line with its contemporaries. Now it's consistantly one of the uglier games in their release periods. What the heck happened?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 08:04:19 PM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Artimicia

• View Profile
« Reply #906 on: August 25, 2017, 11:04:49 AM »
Edit: Yes

In other news I got SO5 the other day, because it's really time to play this thing.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 11:07:19 AM by Artimicia »
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
    • my backloggery
« Reply #907 on: August 25, 2017, 11:14:18 AM »

In other news I got SO5 the other day, because it's really time to play this thing.

^ it's never time to play SO5.

That's more or less what this entire thread is about isn't it?

Artimicia

• View Profile
« Reply #908 on: August 25, 2017, 11:20:15 AM »

^ it's never time to play SO5.

That's more or less what this entire thread is about isn't it?

And that is simply why I must play it.

Well and it's super cheap now.
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: August 25, 2017, 11:38:46 AM »
I own SO4.  Need to push that up the List.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #910 on: August 25, 2017, 03:58:12 PM »

Because you don't like playing good games? O.o I'm really not sure how else to take that statement.

I would take the position that that is not something needs to that happen. Live your life in blissful ignorance!

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: August 25, 2017, 04:02:40 PM »
As long as it's not the 360 version, SO4 is pretty great as long as you ignore the story

...and don't mind traipsing through ginormous environments with fuck all in them.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
    • my backloggery
« Reply #912 on: August 25, 2017, 04:03:59 PM »

Because you don't like playing good games? O.o I'm really not sure how else to take that statement.

I would take the position that that is not something needs to that happen. Live your life in blissful ignorance!

^ cosigned.  SO4 is a cringe worthy waste of time.  2 of the top 5 worst JRPG characters ever.

Which is a shame because the battle system was so much fun. 

Buuuuuuuuuuut so was UNLIMITED SaGa's...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 04:05:39 PM by Rucks »

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: August 25, 2017, 04:04:44 PM »

^ cosigned.  SO4 is a cringe worthy waste of time.  2 of the top 5 worst JRPG characters ever...

I heard the battle system is excellent, though

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
    • my backloggery
« Reply #914 on: August 25, 2017, 04:05:15 PM »
^ see edit!