Author Topic: The NEW New Star Wars [s]Trilogy[/s] Thread

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW New Star Wars [s]Trilogy[/s] Thread
« Reply #180 on: January 05, 2018, 12:44:44 PM »
I don't have much to add that others haven't already said. While I enjoyed watching it in theaters, when I went home and thought about it for a few days I decided I didn't really like it. The aforementioned unnecessary hacker plot, Snoke coming out of nowhere and dying before there was any explanation, and some more recycled plot elements from the original trilogy.

I mostly liked Luke's portrayal, but thought they kind of messed it up a bit in the scene with Kylo at the Jedi Temple. This is the guy who thought Darth Vader could come back for goodness' sake! I get it, a moment of weakness can often add depth to a character, but I think this was the wrong way to do it. While I loved the showdown at the movie's climax, I don't really like Luke's ultimate fate as a result. The hero of the galaxy deserved more, imo.

I did like Leia, Poe, Rey, and Finn's portrayal and character arcs at least (even if I disliked Finn's side-plot).

Anyway, I'll check out the Han Solo movie, and episode IX, but if those also disappoint then that will be it for me. I'll just stick with the original trilogy.

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #181 on: January 05, 2018, 01:20:19 PM »
And we haven't even discussed the burning-est burning question of all.  Did Chewbacca eat the porg? 

I'm of the mentality that he most certainly did. 

No amount of amount of sad-eyed guilting the porgs tried could stop a hungry wookie from chowing down on some fingerlicking good fowl.  In the great circle of life exists a food chain which Chewie is pretty high up on.  I mean, look at those teeth.  Chewie's chompers are clearly the chompers of a meat eater.  (It could be argued that he's an omnivore like a bear, but bears have big canine teeth too and certainly eat plenty of meat as well as plants.)  And maybe because the porgs couldn't fight back, they took their revenge on Chewie by nesting in the Millenium Falcon and being a nuisance.  Though I'm sure after the initial annoyance wore off, Chewie thought, "Okay, more meat and eggs for the ship's larders and I don't even have to hunt.  Thanks for the buffet!"  And when Chewie punched that howling porg off the dashboard, he was probably all like, "Shut up you chicken mcnugget!" 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 05:10:13 PM by Dincrest »
Okay, so you have 5000 friends/followers/etc. on social media.  But how many of them will help you move?

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 05, 2018, 01:48:18 PM »
LOL, well said Din!

Did you guys hear the story that the porgs were originally just CG'ed puffins that they had to film around?  Hilarious if true.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #183 on: January 05, 2018, 05:06:22 PM »
I did not hear that aspect of it.  I just read that porgs were based on and inspired by the puffins that populated the islet they filmed on.

I've also read somewhere that smoked puffin is a delicacy in Iceland. 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 05:08:24 PM by Dincrest »
Okay, so you have 5000 friends/followers/etc. on social media.  But how many of them will help you move?