Author Topic: Whats the haps?

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the haps?
« Reply #20130 on: December 22, 2017, 01:29:37 PM »
I'm hoping that's the case, but you'd think there'd be SOME kind of follow up, if that were the case...
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Marshmallow

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • OH NO OH NO OH NO
    • View Profile
« Reply #20131 on: December 23, 2017, 02:32:04 PM »
Maybe go see it by yourself?  Then you'll be free to geek out about it whenever you want.

I'm seeing Star War on Christmas because I don't have anything else to do, and I don't care about the series enough to have seen it earlier. 

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Electricb7

• View Profile
« Reply #20133 on: December 25, 2017, 02:29:12 AM »
Merry Christmas.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #20134 on: December 25, 2017, 03:29:35 PM »

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20135 on: December 30, 2017, 05:35:33 PM »
Merry Christmas!

Here are some dudes picking a fight with a Christmas tree and losing.

They just had a little too much Christmas Spirit. That tree doesn't look so tough. I mean, just look at those twigs!

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20136 on: December 30, 2017, 10:43:12 PM »
Looks to me more like they had a little too much Christmas spirits.

...I'll show myself out.

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20137 on: December 31, 2017, 07:40:30 AM »
Happy New Year's Eve!  Who's partying tonight?  Whoever is, stay safe because it is bitterly cold out there.  And you know the cops will be out in full force tonight, just like every New Year's Eve. 

Tonight I'm going to... read my book and go to bed early.  I'm old.  If I stay up even a few minutes past my bedtime (I go to bed between 8:30- 9:00 PM), I'm useless in the morning.  I get up at 5AM every day and I like it! 
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #20138 on: December 31, 2017, 07:52:03 AM »
Outside sounds like a warzone, so I'm just going to stay inside, make soup, drink tea and eat mandarin oranges.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 08:04:47 AM by Tomara »

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #20139 on: January 04, 2018, 03:25:13 PM »
The owner of the bow I'm currently using has second thoughts about selling it.

Second thoughts are gone! I'm going to buy that bow.

At first he still didn't want to, saying that bow was too large for someone my size. Which is sorta true. My arms simply aren't long enough to draw it to full power. Then one of the more senior member stood up for me (it was his idea to use that bow in the first place) and pointed out that I'd made great progress and was fully capable of handling the power I can get from it. Because I'm stronger than I look.

I feel pretty okay about myself right now.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20140 on: January 04, 2018, 04:11:02 PM »
Congrats, Tomara!  I am very proud of you. :)
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20141 on: January 04, 2018, 04:54:55 PM »
Whatever tool inspires your craft is the one you should have, naysayers be damned. 

I've caught some flak because I'm experimenting with a 6-string bass.  I've gotten the classic "Jaco/Flea/Geddy Lee/whatever famous bassist only needed 4 strings!" argument.  While that is true and I keep a 4-string bass in standard EADG tuning (mostly for slap), I am not Jaco, Flea, Geddy, or whomever.  I respect them as absolute master bassists, but I'm not trying to be them.  I'm trying to be me and the kind of music I enjoy and/or want to experiment with needs extended range.  I enjoy metal music that often uses low tunings (hence why I need the low-B string) and I also enjoy a lot of classical, jazz, and progressive music that relies on chording (something I want to get better at) and the high-C string facilitates that.  I've also experimented with 4-strings in alternate tunings, but I'm very right-brained in my approach to playing music so my brain is hardwired to scales and chord progressions in standard tunings.  So, I like using my 6-string bass, it inspires my craft, makes me want to get better at it, and I'm playing for my passion and not to be validated by others.  (My 6er was a flat out steal and is easily the best bass I've ever owned and probably ever will own.) 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 04:58:46 PM by Dincrest »
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20142 on: January 04, 2018, 05:03:48 PM »
"Jaco/Flea/Geddy Lee/whatever famous bassist only needed 4 strings!"

"No one should ever try new things or be different!!"

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20143 on: January 04, 2018, 05:18:55 PM »
Exactly!  That sentiment sounds like "fist in the air, head in the sand" folks like my oft-mentioned friend who still whines that FF7 isn't "real" Final Fantasy, it ruined the series, etc.  I'll take experiment over stagnate any day. 

Semi-Tangent: My all time favorite bassist (Alphonso Johnson- one of the most skilled and prolific jazz players out there on both electric and upright, was in Weather Report before Jaco, and perhaps the nicest person I've ever met) is clearly a bassist with old-school roots.  However, he was an early adopter of 5-string basses, basses constructed with composite rather than wood necks, and innovative instruments like Chapman Stick.  I was fascinated by his dichotomy of being a cutting-edge-minded guy with old school roots.  I met him when I was 16 and first starting out, so he had a huge impact on me. Easily the best bassist I've ever met and likely ever will meet. 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 09:09:33 PM by Dincrest »

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #20144 on: January 08, 2018, 02:20:15 PM »
In my case I also just think it'd be a waste to not use it and let it sit in storage for another decade. Or worse, add it to the bows we use for events. It'd just end up like 'The Red One'. Long story short, an old member gifted his old recurve bow to the guild, but it was a freakin' Hoyt and outclassed everything else. Of course this meant nothing at the short range we use for amateurs, but was so popular, some people refused to shoot unless they could use The Red One. Good old Red is gone now, but the senior archers still tell its tales.

(There's actually another bow among the event bows that's better and easier to use than the other ones, but it has this horrible baby shit green colour, so it's not nearly as popular and only a few people know its secret.)