Author Topic: Whats the haps?

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the haps?
« Reply #19605 on: August 19, 2017, 09:53:04 AM »
It's sorta random but like does anyone think of RPG Fans as normal people I certainly would be surprised by that.

I don't think there's anything odd about a gathering of gaming enthusiasts in this day and age.
One of my regular groups of friends I only became friends with through video games, specifically Destiny. I mean yeah most of them were friends already and it turns out I have connections to some of them through old friends, and we all live in the same 15 mile radius more or less....but yeah...friends via video games.

TASTY!

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #19606 on: August 19, 2017, 11:02:17 AM »
I need to complain about my brain for a bit. Especially its habit to ruin perfectly good dreams. Like, last night, me and some friends were Pokémon trainers staying at some hotel and the bath was kinda yuck so we were like, hey, let's visit the hot springs that are on this island. So we start walking and have this discussion about the difference between Pokémon and animals or something like that. The route takes us along a beach and that's were everything turns to shit. We discover that someone is trying to ruin the local ecosystem by burying poison in the sand. We spot the criminal, chase after him and end up at his underground hideout. We're searching this well hidden room, and suddenly hear the door closing. Being locked. Being nailed shut. There's this suddenly realisation: we are going to die. And then we died, in the dark, with no way out.

And then it gets worse.

The perspective switches and I'm now a police detective being carefully lowered into a dark hole. It resembles a well. They suspect there might be some sort of old criminal hideout down there, but all other entrances have been buried. And then I find my own several months old corpse.

That's when I woke up. It took me two hours to get back to sleep again. WTF, brain? Why would you do that? I admit it doesn't look so bad in plain text, but the sound of the door being locked, the despair, the smell of death, it all felt very real ;_;

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19607 on: August 19, 2017, 12:46:38 PM »
NEW HAPS!!!
Dentist visit done.

2 wisdom teeth broken, need extraction
1 molar broken, needs filling or crown
Cavities, need to be fixed.
1 baby tooth that never fell out and no adult teeth to replace it...???

Dr. said for the amount of time since my last trip (20+ years), and the worry I came in with, my teeth were not as bad as they could have been by a longshot. A few followups and a surgery plus some cleanings and I oughta be good as new. Hooray!

TASTY!

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19608 on: August 19, 2017, 02:10:33 PM »
A large chunk of people are defending Nazis right to be Nazis and everything is insane

fin
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 02:13:18 PM by Rucks »

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "glad I don't have the bloops"

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19609 on: August 19, 2017, 02:12:40 PM »
double post

which is also insane

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "glad I don't have the bloops"

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #19610 on: August 19, 2017, 02:29:49 PM »
NEW HAPS!!!
Dentist visit done.

Congratulations!

Wait, is that the right word for this? In any case, I'm glad you went and the news was relatively good. You were starting to worry us with those horror stories D:

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19611 on: August 19, 2017, 02:41:19 PM »
NEW HAPS!!!
Dentist visit done.

Congratulations!

Wait, is that the right word for this? In any case, I'm glad you went and the news was relatively good. You were starting to worry us with those horror stories D:
I have a knack for detailed descriptions.

Thanks Tomara, I appreciate the good will!

TASTY!

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #19612 on: August 19, 2017, 09:51:36 PM »
Ugh this week. So my AC problems have returned. Hurray! Guy came out and apparently I have a leak in my inside unit...and it is a non-standard unit, so it will take them several days to get a replacement. And it is going to cost a lot to replace it. So I get to put up with ridiculous temperatures for nearly a week and be out a good chunk of money. Hurray for home ownership.

In good news, I ordered a fancy new uber powerful TV because I probably need a new one and I can afford to not go for bottom of the barrel store brand like when I got my current one.

I need to complain about my brain for a bit. Especially its habit to ruin perfectly good dreams. Like, last night, me and some friends were Pokémon trainers staying at some hotel and the bath was kinda yuck so we were like, hey, let's visit the hot springs that are on this island. So we start walking and have this discussion about the difference between Pokémon and animals or something like that. The route takes us along a beach and that's were everything turns to shit. We discover that someone is trying to ruin the local ecosystem by burying poison in the sand. We spot the criminal, chase after him and end up at his underground hideout. We're searching this well hidden room, and suddenly hear the door closing. Being locked. Being nailed shut. There's this suddenly realisation: we are going to die. And then we died, in the dark, with no way out.

And then it gets worse.

The perspective switches and I'm now a police detective being carefully lowered into a dark hole. It resembles a well. They suspect there might be some sort of old criminal hideout down there, but all other entrances have been buried. And then I find my own several months old corpse.

That's when I woke up. It took me two hours to get back to sleep again. WTF, brain? Why would you do that? I admit it doesn't look so bad in plain text, but the sound of the door being locked, the despair, the smell of death, it all felt very real ;_;
I have to be honest, I have never had a dream quite like this. My subconscious is too ingrained with the shonen idea of you can overcome every problem with guts and determination, so whenever things take a negative turn in dreams, my reaction is that this turn of events is a minor annoyance at best.

Big bad wolf when I'm 4? I'm going to kill it.
Tomatoes that explode when you touch them? Didn't I deal with this last year?
Someone accidently summoned a demon one room over? Now I have to waste time resealing it because they didn't follow instructions.

Congratulations!

I believe the proper phrase here is "Oh thank god." So yeah, I am glad you are finally getting your dental issues taken care of Agent D. Some of them honestly scared me. Although what probably scares me worst is that the dentist seemed to imply that they have seen worse. That is one profession I would never want to see horror stories from. *shudders*

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #19613 on: August 19, 2017, 10:56:08 PM »
They say that horror writer H.P. Lovecraft derived some of his stories from his dreams.

^That is quite reminiscent of some of his work.

I rarely remember my dreams, but when I do, there usually isn't much of a plot.  I'm just travelling through labyrinthine areas (sometimes familiar places, but with drastically changed layout and upgraded architecture).  It's not often anything significant happens.

I'm not going to post about my Strudel nightmare.  That still makes me cringe.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 10:58:09 PM by ironmage »

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #19614 on: August 20, 2017, 04:23:53 AM »

I have to be honest, I have never had a dream quite like this. My subconscious is too ingrained with the shonen idea of you can overcome every problem with guts and determination, so whenever things take a negative turn in dreams, my reaction is that this turn of events is a minor annoyance at best.

Oh, I have to more shonenlike dreams with a lot of fighting too. Those are fun. ... Until the zombies I'm fighting turn out to be my siblings. Or, like, I'm fighting man-eating giants and I find out I'm some random character who is more like 'essen' than a 'jeager'. Also, I should mention this happened long before attacking titans was cool, so I'm not even sure where my brain got this from.

On the upside, years of fiction have made me basically omnipotent when I realise I'm dreaming. I have ALL the super powers. Well, all the good ones anyway. Plus magic. That said, just destroying the dream world and building a new one is a lot more convenient than trying to fight whatever is ruining it.

They say that horror writer H.P. Lovecraft derived some of his stories from his dreams.

[...]

^That is quite reminiscent of some of his work.

Being familiar with Lovecraft's life and work, that does not make me feel better :(

Now you have to post it.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #19615 on: August 20, 2017, 07:20:12 AM »

Oh, I have to more shonenlike dreams with a lot of fighting too. Those are fun. ... Until the zombies I'm fighting turn out to be my siblings. Or, like, I'm fighting man-eating giants and I find out I'm some random character who is more like 'essen' than a 'jeager'. Also, I should mention this happened long before attacking titans was cool, so I'm not even sure where my brain got this from.

On the upside, years of fiction have made me basically omnipotent when I realise I'm dreaming. I have ALL the super powers. Well, all the good ones anyway. Plus magic. That said, just destroying the dream world and building a new one is a lot more convenient than trying to fight whatever is ruining it.
...yeah I don't really have negative turns like that. Worst dream I can recall off the top of my head was I was on Normandy (well a battlefield that made me think of it) and someone next to me was being shot at. Time stopped, I could see the bullet that was going to hit them, but there was nothing I could do to stop it. Whole thing was a giant metaphor for either "you can't fight time," or something along those lines.

Sadly I have had 0 luck when it comes to lucid dreaming. Last time I recall having a lucid dream, I tried to summon fire from my hand. It didn't work, somehow within the context of the dream that caused a security guard to show up, so I decided to nope out of that dream by forcing an adrenaline rush to force myself awake rather than deal with the security guard.

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #19616 on: August 20, 2017, 02:41:19 PM »
Being familiar with Lovecraft's life and work, that does not make me feel better :(
Sorry (>_<).  Some of Lovecraft's earlier writing relied on a sudden twist at the end, and he had several stories which centered on discovering things underground; that's what that section reminded me of.

You seem like a pretty un-Lovecraftian person in general (Lovecraft surely never dreamt of anything cute like Pokemon), so as long as you don't start roaming the streets at twilight in search of antiquities, you're going to be okay.

Now you have to post it.
...I honestly don't know if I actually wanted anyone to call me out on that, or not.

This is hard for me to write about, partly because it's just so ...mundane.  It not proper nightmare material at all.  I had this dream while I was under a fair bit of stress at work, and it was affecting my health.

When the dream starts, I'm driving alongside the river, but this transitions into walking.  A woman appears and takes me by the arm.  We seem to know each other.  Maybe she's my girlfriend?

It's summer, and there's some sort of festival going on near the river.  We go to a food stand, and she hands me a plate with some strudel on it.  But my hand starts to shake, and the shaking gets so bad that I have to put the plate down on the ground to keep from dropping it.  I start to explain to her that this is because I'm stressed at work, and then

I wake up in a state of panic.  Heart pounding, cold sweat.  Just because I had to put down a plate.

What bothers me is not the dream itself, but that I reacted so severely to it.  Even now, something in my brain fights back when I try to analyze it.  What am I repressing?  Have I not come to grips with my own mortality?  Is my job really causing that much damage?  Better not to think about this too much.  It's just a dream.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #19617 on: August 20, 2017, 03:45:46 PM »
Haps

-I finally registered for my fall charity cycling events.  One is an autism benefit ride in September.  It's only 50km, but it has a monstrous hill about 6-7km in.  The other is a 40km Parkinson's ride in October.  Normally, I'd do the longer 65km ride, but real life has thrown me several curveballs this summer (not the least of which are inexplicale intestinal that have been suddenly hitting me every 3 weeks or so) so I haven't been training on the bike as much as I'd like to.  I'm keeping up with my gym workouts, though. 

-Earlier this month, I spent a long weekend in Colorado with my cousins, though mainly to see my uncle.  This uncle is my late father's elder brother and it was important for me to see him.  I hadn't seen him since before my dad died, and my uncle has been taking the tragedy harder than any of us.  I like to think that my visit to him revitalized him somewhat, that there is a light of hope at the end of the tunnel.  I do hope that when he returns back to India, he will convey a positive feeling to my grandmother.  It's interesting that my uncle and cousins know me but don't "know" me, so at first they weren't sure what the dynamic would be.  My dad had a very strong personality and often brought a very tense dynamic with him.  So it was important for the family to see the new dynamic, that there's a new sherriff in town, and he's bringing a different dynamic.  It was also amusing that most everywhere I went in Colorado, everyone kept trying to convince me to move there.  My cousins were trying to sell me on Colorado (since they know I like outdoorsy stuff like bicycling, hiking, and camping), the proprietors of a comic book store noticed I was wearing a Philly bike-a-thon T-shirt and were not shy about saying to me, "You like cycling, you have this great comic book store here, you should move our here, man!" 

-Unfortunately, I will not be moving to Colorado, despite my love of mountains and the fact that the place is so bicycle friendly.  With my dad gone and my mom having health issues of her own, there is no way we can afford the mortgage and upkeep of the family home.  So, we're getting the ball rolling on downsizing.  We love the family home and neither of us particularly wants to go through the stress of another move, but it's the best financial decision for the family.   
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 04:07:25 PM by Dincrest »
"There are no happy endings, because nothing ends."
     -Schmendrick (The Last Unicorn)

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19618 on: August 22, 2017, 03:03:31 PM »
*sigh*

So the dude who asked me to join him for the plane pull has completely dropped, leaving me a week from the registration and 3 weeks from the minimum donation deadline with nothing...fun stuff.

Here's hoping crowdfunding works better for a charitable cause, because I'll be making a gofundme later for this and crossing my fingers I can scrounge up 1200 bucks by septrmber 15th without just paying it all out of pocket or giving up entirely.

I hate to be one of those guys who begs everywhere shamelessly, but I'll be full of shame when I put my gofundme link up later on and start begging.

TASTY!

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19619 on: August 22, 2017, 03:12:09 PM »
At least you're doing it shamefully.  Good job.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons