Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
Re: Anime/Manga Journal
« Reply #4590 on: August 14, 2017, 09:42:14 PM »
Another kinda newbie question for y'all, but... if I were to be interested in possibly checking out the FATE series', is there an order that would work best to view them in? Or at least one you'd recommend starting with before the others?

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4591 on: August 14, 2017, 11:46:40 PM »
I think I would recommend starting with the Unlimited Blade Works TV series (2014/2015).  Fate/Zero is a prequel so you could watch that first but it's the kind of prequel that I feel you would get more out of if you're already familiar with the main story.

Ignore the Studio Deen TV series.  It's not even worth watching at this point.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #4592 on: August 15, 2017, 12:07:06 AM »
I think I would recommend starting with the Unlimited Blade Works TV series (2014/2015).  Fate/Zero is a prequel so you could watch that first but it's the kind of prequel that I feel you would get more out of if you're already familiar with the main story.

And once you're done with that, all that's left is to watch Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4593 on: August 15, 2017, 06:22:05 AM »

And once you're done with that, all that's left is to watch Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya Carnival Phantasm.

Fixed that for you.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #4594 on: August 15, 2017, 09:45:55 AM »

And once you're done with that, all that's left is to watch Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya Carnival Phantasm.

Fixed that for you.

Not that I disagree (Carnaval Phantasm was great) but he'd need to either watch or play Tsukihime before that.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #4595 on: August 15, 2017, 10:23:42 AM »

Fixed that for you.

Not that I disagree (Carnaval Phantasm was great) but he'd need to either watch or play Tsukihime before that.

True dat. I forgot about the whole Nasuverse thing it has going on. You're probably gonna want to bone up on that and and Kara no Kyoka (or whatever its called), which got an excellent set of movies, before taking a trip on Nasu's Wild Ride.

But then again, that's kinda the Nasuverse experience in a nutshell, one of these things will suck you in and then you're in for the long haul until you're so inundated by the in-jokes and callbacks that you're watching and quoting Carnival Phantasm (the alternative outcome is Battle Moon Wars). At least you don't need to mire yourself into Fate/Grand Order or the Imageepoch + successors games as CP/BMW predates those.

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #4596 on: August 18, 2017, 10:17:43 PM »
I'm in backlog country.

Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 (26 episodes, finished):  For some reason, I liked this, even though it was bad in almost every respect.  The mechanical and monster designs were poor, the characters were flat, the animation was mediocre, and the premise was unoriginal.  But something about the tone, the deliberately paced dialogue, the music, and the cyberpunk setting resonated with me.  Perhaps it was just nostalgia, for when the Space channel still showed crappy cyberpunk anime movies late at night on weekends.  (I don't think they show sci-fi anything anymore.)

Hellsing Ultimate (4-episode hold):  I gave it a try, but this just didn't work for me.  I liked the first Hellsing better.  Although the production quality is higher, this is ultraviolence for its own sake.  While the original Hellsing managed to creep me out, this seemed more intent on grossing me out, while not giving me enough reason to care about the characters.  Still, I'm kinda hoping it gets better later, so I may yet resume it when I'm more in the mood.

Romeo x Juliet (2-episode drop):  It's apparent the writers of this didn't have the slightest understanding of Shakespeare.  Or of how to write a romance story, for that matter.  Nice OP, though.

Chrono Crusade (5-episode drop): At the beginning, I thought to myself "Slayers, but with exorcists in the 1920s!"  But a few episodes in, I was either having trouble staying awake, or the show was becoming increasing incoherent, and I guess I didn't care which.

In progress: Spice and Wolf.  I'm only three episodes in, but I think this is going to be okay.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4597 on: August 19, 2017, 12:55:54 AM »
@ironmage Hellsing was always kind of a waste of good art, IMO. I don't even mind the ultra-violence, but the fact is that aside from the main group of villians (whom I think you've already met by now? I could've sworn they showed up by episode 4, but I could be wrong), a lot of the characters just aren't that interesting. Heck, I actually found Alucard beyond disturbing, and I came in expecting a violence-craving lunatic...I agree that the first Hellsing anime was better, though I haven't seen it since...2010, I think? Geez...and that wasn't exactly new back then either. Also, the villains! I guess might only be interesting in comparison. I liked how over-the-top they were, at least. Better than Sir "I have more adjectives in my name than character bio" Integra,  Creepy-Uncle Alucard or "I'm French" Pip Bernadotte (I had to look his name up...), and definitely more interesting than "Police Girl"...their motivations are beyond stupid, though...I'll let you fund out what, either by watching it or looking it up...your choice...

...Walter was cool, though...and that creepy priest guy...I should've remembered his name, but after the Youtube Abridged series called him Judas Priest, I could not longer call him anything else...

Also: That Romeo X Juliet OP is a japanese cover of "You Raise Me UP"...just wanted to point that out since that's actually kind of cool, plus it's one of my favorite songs...
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 01:04:32 AM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #4598 on: August 19, 2017, 08:54:34 AM »
@ironmage Hellsing was always kind of a waste of good art, IMO. I don't even mind the ultra-violence, but the fact is that aside from the main group of villians (whom I think you've already met by now? I could've sworn they showed up by episode 4, but I could be wrong), a lot of the characters just aren't that interesting. Heck, I actually found Alucard beyond disturbing, and I came in expecting a violence-craving lunatic...I agree that the first Hellsing anime was better, though I haven't seen it since...2010, I think? Geez...and that wasn't exactly new back then either. Also, the villains! I guess might only be interesting in comparison. I liked how over-the-top they were, at least. Better than Sir "I have more adjectives in my name than character bio" Integra,  Creepy-Uncle Alucard or "I'm French" Pip Bernadotte (I had to look his name up...), and definitely more interesting than "Police Girl"...their motivations are beyond stupid, though...I'll let you fund out what, either by watching it or looking it up...your choice...

...Walter was cool, though...and that creepy priest guy...I should've remembered his name, but after the Youtube Abridged series called him Judas Priest, I could not longer call him anything else...

Anderson was probably the best part of that series just because he turned every scene he was in into a Shit-Eating Grin Off and was a bigger ham than Crispin Freeman (although CF really didn't bring his Albedo game and everybody was at least nomming the scenery if not snarfing it down like one of those eating competitions), and yes, Judas Priest is amazing and fits him to a tee.

I also have to give a special mention to the nazi guy right up until he was revealed to be a Robot (as that was kinda boring/lame), especially for breaking into that musical number that at least had shades of 'Springtime for Hitler' to it.

As for your other shows @ironmage, Chrno Crusade was indeed really boring and generic (to the point where even the anime couldn't even be bothered to get the name right), and Spicy Wolf can best be described as "Come for the moe, stay for the dissertation on ancient Japanese economics."

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #4599 on: August 19, 2017, 09:49:33 AM »
Aw... Don't be mean to Romeo x Juliet... It's a enjoyable fantasy series as long as you pretend it's a JRPG for the 90s that just uses Shakespeare as a motif. It even had music by Hitoshi Sakimoto.

Speaking of Romeo x Juliet, I rewatched the series recently after buying a €12 boxset. And it's a good thing I did, because it answered a question my memory had been struggling with for a while: what does Fire Emblem Echoes remind me of?

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #4600 on: August 19, 2017, 09:55:38 PM »
...and Spicy Wolf can best be described as "Come for the moe, stay for the dissertation on ancient Japanese economics."
Sounds like an endorsement to me.  I tend to enjoy anything that exposes me to new subject matter.

Aw... Don't be mean to Romeo x Juliet... It's a enjoyable fantasy series as long as you pretend it's a JRPG for the 90s that just uses Shakespeare as a motif. It even had music by Hitoshi Sakimoto.
A couple months ago, I watched Orson Welles' 1951 production of Othello, and it sorta skewed my expectations for Shakespeare adaptations.  I probably wouldn't have been happy with anything below the level of Jin-Roh.

I'm a Sakimoto fan, though, so I should probably hunt down the soundtrack.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4601 on: August 19, 2017, 11:52:44 PM »
...and Spicy Wolf can best be described as "Come for the moe, stay for the dissertation on ancient Japanese economics."

Wait, ancient Japanese economics?  First of all the setting is vaguely medieval Europe-esque, not Japanese.  But more importantly (because really that's just window dressing), the principles discussed are still very much relevant today.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #4602 on: August 20, 2017, 12:53:02 AM »

Wait, ancient Japanese economics?  First of all the setting is vaguely medieval Europe-esque, not Japanese.  But more importantly (because really that's just window dressing), the principles discussed are still very much relevant today.

Yeah, I got that wrong. Hell, even I spotted it well after making that post (but by that time I had already been quoted and my mistake immortalized in the annals of the database). And speaking of living in the database, once you're done with Spicen Wolf ironmage, you might want to check out Log Horizon. "Come for the trapped in a videogame powerfantasy, stay for the dissertation of MMORPG social economics. Whooah"

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4603 on: August 20, 2017, 01:15:42 AM »
^Just want to say: I loved the first season, but Second season of Log Horizon really grated on me. I hear that was mostly because it got Deen'd, though. I might try to push through it so I can finally take it off my Crunchyroll queue...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4604 on: August 20, 2017, 05:16:43 AM »
Having read the Log Horizon novels I would say that the second season got worse because the source material got worse...