Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal

Hathen

• View Profile
Re: Anime/Manga Journal
« Reply #4605 on: August 20, 2017, 09:10:36 AM »
I watched both seasons of Log Horizon just a few months back and I've already forgotten most of it. All I remember is that the few things brought up that I actually found interesting were often mentioned just once and then never followed up on. Like I think at one point there was this city council meeting sort of thing where one guy brought up how people stuck in the game were having a hard time adjusting needed help from others and the initial reaction was something along the lines of "why should we help them if they won't help themselves". I think it was given like two lines and then never expanded upon even though you'd think it'd be a big fucking deal if they're trying to settle down for the long term in this world.

Also never liked it when "stuck in a video game" stories try to talk about game mechanics, which Log Horizon got a bit into. It's mechanics to a video game I'll never play, why would I care?

Also also like a bunch of other shows it just...stopped. I guess they want me to read the novels but I don't really care enough to.

I've said this before but I'm probably in a minority that really likes .Hack//SIGN because of how "boring" it was. It wasn't about action, it was largely a very personal story about escapism and how these people perceived themselves in an online world versus an offline one, which to me was a proper use of the concept. It probably could've used some serious trimming down but I like that pretty much all the characters were playing the game to get away from something, and the final reveal about how Tsukasa got stuck into the game was also (arguably) related to someone trying to escape reality.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #4606 on: August 20, 2017, 09:14:54 AM »
I've said this before but I'm probably in a minority that really likes .Hack//SIGN because of how "boring" it was. It wasn't about action, it was largely a very personal story about escapism and how these people perceived themselves in an online world versus an offline one, which to me was a proper use of the concept. It probably could've used some serious trimming down but I like that pretty much all the characters were playing the game to get away from something, and the final reveal about how Tsukasa got stuck into the game was also (arguably) related to someone trying to escape reality.

I don't think that's a minority opinion? SIGN is a beautiful character-driven narrative that seems to get a lot of respect in the community.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #4607 on: August 20, 2017, 09:19:53 AM »
I dunno, I guess I don't hang around anime communities often enough, because a ton of people I talk to think the show is way too slow paced and they can't get themselves to finish it. I'd say that's also reflected in how things like Sword Art Online are just more popular...but I suppose that would be like saying Evangelion is more popular than Lain or something despite some similarities, the action just makes casual viewing more enjoyable.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #4608 on: August 20, 2017, 10:30:39 AM »
I dunno, I guess I don't hang around anime communities often enough, because a ton of people I talk to think the show is way too slow paced and they can't get themselves to finish it. I'd say that's also reflected in how things like Sword Art Online are just more popular...but I suppose that would be like saying Evangelion is more popular than Lain or something despite some similarities, the action just makes casual viewing more enjoyable.
I'm curious as to how many of those people who "can't finish it" only tried to watch it when it was originally airing. I did a rewatch of it a few months ago. I remembered it being very slow from when I watched it on Cartoon Network back when it first aired, but on rewatch the show is not as slow as I recalled it being. I think it is just better suited for binging than it is for weekly watching.

Really I consider .hack to be the king of the "stuck in a video game" genre. I mean they have a bad track record when it comes to animes (2 out of 3 are bad), but they have done some really interesting stuff across the overall series and I love most of it. God damn it, waiting for Last Recode is torture. x_x

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #4609 on: August 20, 2017, 02:45:30 PM »
I watched Log Horizon a few years back, but, like Hathen, forgot most of it.  According to my notes, the first season was "entertaining fluff", but the second season had very slow pacing, and lacked an interesting conflict, so I dropped it.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4610 on: August 20, 2017, 03:48:42 PM »
I liked the "Game mechanics" bit, actually...but only because it gives me insight into parts of MMOs I'm too shy to be a part of, like Guilds and Party coordination...I only ever party-upped once, and we disbanded after one dungeon...otherwise, I always solo...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 04:09:51 PM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #4611 on: August 20, 2017, 04:01:31 PM »
I liked it as well. Unlike Sword Art Online, it's not hard to imagine Elder Tales as an MMORPG actually play. The economics, the strategies, even the use and abuse of the game mechanics - it really feels like a game being played by people. Log Horizon might not be fast-paced, but it does spend a decent amount of time on world-building.

Meanwhile, Sword Art Online just focuses on Gary Stu, his deus ex machina powers and the harem he somehow manages to build despite having a girlfriend. Not too mention that most characters in the series are just very bleepin' stupid and/or annoying. Really, the only good way to experience the series is to watch the parody that actually manages to fix a bunch of the gaping plot holes.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #4612 on: August 21, 2017, 12:10:52 AM »
Finished season 1 of Little Witch Academia. Really enjoyed it. The animation/art style in particular makes the whole thing too adorable for words. The only bit I'm not crazy about is Diana as a sort of rival character, because there's no real rivalry moments that add anything to the show, except to maybe sometimes hint at a back-and-forth jealousy. Except even that doesn't really fit because Diana can go from stoic to pompous to inspiring in a single episode.

Anyway, instead of going straight to season 2 I'm keeping things fresh and checking out Angel Beats. Not exactly my typical anime fare, but I really enjoyed the first episode. They did a great job creating a world that is just normal enough to be creepy. I only hope the show calms down a little on the whiplash between comedy and drama/action.

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4613 on: August 21, 2017, 10:31:28 AM »
I finally started watching Dragon Ball Super a week or two ago. I'm about twenty episodes in and am enjoying it so far. I've been surprised by its humor. In fact, the show has thus far been more humor-centric than action-centric, which is like the original Dragon Ball, but less so DBZ. That said, the episode where Goku and Beerus finally go all out is everything I could have hoped for in a contemporary Dragon Ball series. I mean, I saw Battle of Gods, but still nice to see that action.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4614 on: August 22, 2017, 03:44:49 AM »
I finally started watching Dragon Ball Super a week or two ago. I'm about twenty episodes in and am enjoying it so far. I've been surprised by its humor. In fact, the show has thus far been more humor-centric than action-centric, which is like the original Dragon Ball, but less so DBZ. That said, the episode where Goku and Beerus finally go all out is everything I could have hoped for in a contemporary Dragon Ball series. I mean, I saw Battle of Gods, but still nice to see that action.

Did you watch the Japanese dub with subtitles, or is there an English dub available, finally?

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Chronix112

• Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi
  • Unlimited Insomniac Works
    • View Profile
« Reply #4615 on: August 22, 2017, 06:50:29 AM »

Did you watch the Japanese dub with subtitles, or is there an English dub available, finally?
It comes on adult swim during the weekends.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4616 on: August 27, 2017, 11:52:23 PM »
^Ah, right. That might actually explain why I can't find it streamed...damn Cable Monopolies...

Anyways, I binge-watched all of Overlord last night. It was...okay? I definitely expected a lot more out of it, at least. There's definitely potential to it, but having never read the light novels, the general impression I got was that it spent too much of the middle setting up an arc how amazingly verbous the meta-game in this victional MMO us instead of developing its genuinely intriguing cast, while the final arc was just pooly executed in every way possible. You can tell this got canceled befored the planned end - it was rushed, the character turn came out of nowhere, involved events that we never got to see, implied an imotional pay-off involving characters that we know nothing about, yet the characters talk at length about all these past events...I wanted to know more about the NPCs and their creators, and I loved the dicotame between the Overlord's human side, and the overblown personality he puts own to fullfill his role. That he's playing. Because he had been playing a role-playing game that turned into real life or something...I don't know, they barely got into that.

I think that's the problem I keep seeing in these "other world" shows, they effectively have to expand upon multiple worlds and try to develop at least the main characters and how they acted in both worlds while usually only focusing one world. In this case, however, they had to develop three worlds, one of which we never get to see, and another we're only shown a very little bit of. Like, I've never been in a guild, so I have no idea if the whole game is about building dungeons or whatever for all I know. I've certainly never heard of that before. Really, I know nothing about how this game works, despite everything being talked about with that game as a reference. It's unnecessarily dense as it is, yet they were somehow supposed to condense that into 13 episodes? I doubt they could've fit a satisfying plot that complex in 26 episodes. :/ Perhaps this was a difficult and/or sloppy adaption?

Whatever. As it is, it was a fun watch at first that ran out of steam. The finale in particular could not have been less anti-climactic now that I've taken it into context: I went in expecting something silly or light-hearted, but it wasn't. Ot at least it was enough to justify all the elite hax0r bullcrap and the fact that the PVP fight ultimately came down to freemium item mechanics. How was I supposed to take any of this seriously? Nothing was resolved, too many questions were brought up, and I don't care enough to find the answers.

...didn't this studio make the latest Berserk adaption? Talk about hind-sight, huh?

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Chronix112

• Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi
  • Unlimited Insomniac Works
    • View Profile
« Reply #4617 on: August 28, 2017, 01:18:37 AM »
...didn't this studio make the latest Berserk adaption? Talk about hind-sight, huh?
No,  Madhouse studio did  the adaptation to overlord. Studio Gemba did that CGI atrocity of a Berserk adaptation. Overlord was a rather bad adaption, I mean it can be serviceable,  but it really is a shameless  Cliff notes: buy the light novel adaption. As for Aintz's final battle
Spoiler: show
 well he flat out states his character wasn't  built around being good at pvp, and that there were plenty of people out there stronger then him based on skill/ build set ups . He made up for this somewhat by being a hardcore cash shop player. The only reason why Aintz won that battle was that his opponent was a moron, and he knew her personality well. If  Aintz had to fight her 10 times he would lose 9/10 times because she is an absolute hard counter to his class, so Aintz really had to go ham with all the P2W hax,  the batman level bull shit, and everything had to go his way on top of all that in order for  him to win.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4618 on: August 28, 2017, 01:38:06 AM »
He never says any of that, though. Ever. I've seen the final battle 3 times in both languages, it's never really set up. :/

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4619 on: August 28, 2017, 02:19:44 AM »
As for Aintz's final battle
Spoiler: show
 well he flat out states his character wasn't  built around being good at pvp, and that there were plenty of people out there stronger then him based on skill/ build set ups . He made up for this somewhat by being a hardcore cash shop player. The only reason why Aintz won that battle was that his opponent was a moron, and he knew her personality well. If  Aintz had to fight her 10 times he would lose 9/10 times because she is an absolute hard counter to his class, so Aintz really had to go ham with all the P2W hax,  the batman level bull shit, and everything had to go his way on top of all that in order for  him to win.

And thus we arrive at the moral of this story, in that Whales always prosper and you should go be a Whale too, lest you get sucked into Gacha Hell as a pitiful and undignified F2P scrublord.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.