Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 02:19:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341030 Posts in 13938 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Zeboyd's made it big: Penny Arcade Episode 3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Zeboyd's made it big: Penny Arcade Episode 3  (Read 5991 times)
Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
Contributing Editor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2012, 04:34:40 PM »

Whoops, I totally meant July.  My B.  I'm excited too. 

Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2012, 05:36:25 PM »

Yeah, we're really excited that the game finally has a release date.

The game is already fully playable - we're just doing some last minute checking for bugs and making little improvements here and there right now. i.e. when RPGFan meets up with us at E3, the build we'll be showing off will probably be the build that we're planning on actually releasing come July 10th.

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2012, 02:34:21 PM »

I know it'll be pretty different from the first two, but I enjoyed them.  (Evidence here.)  Definitely planning on picking up the new game.  Best of luck with the release!

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
Contributing Editor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2012, 04:23:39 PM »

Release date has been pushed up (!?) to June 25th. No complaints here - I know what I'm playing after I wrap up Purse-Owner 3.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2012, 12:54:02 PM »

Just read the review. Sounds like it's more like the previous games than it should be, with shallow gameplay but great writing and humor. I'll still get it, provided it's not more than 800 ms points, but I guess I gotta "keep my expectations in check."

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2012, 02:48:52 PM »

Weird that it sounds easier than BoD/CSTW. No random battles? That's like a trademark!

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2012, 04:27:03 PM »

Surprised that the RPGFan reviewer didn't like the game since the reviews elsewhere have been very positive.

1Up, RPGamer, and Gamesradar all loved it.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2012, 05:41:09 PM »

While I haven't played it yet, I'll admit it did at least sound sorta harsh. I'll find out soon enough whether or not I'll agree. The review was still positive, though, at least from what I got out of it.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
Contributing Editor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2012, 06:22:30 PM »

DLed, will play it later tonight.

Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
Contributing Editor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2012, 11:17:07 PM »

This game is solid.  I'm currently in Chapter 6.  My expectations and preferences are definitely different from the RPGFan reviewer's, because I love it so far. 

Rain Slick 3's an extremely streamlined RPG with HP and MP management only taking place in battle and the class system in place leveling everything simultaneously.  Equipment is kinda bare-bones, but the class system allows for great team customization while still making characters feel distinct (each character has a base class and two secondary class slots, selectable from around a dozen).  Combat is turn-based, with speed represented by a meter with moving character icons.  Looks like a SNES game, but has too many modern ideas to be from the 90s. 

But most of all, Rain-Slick 3 is hysterical.  The dialog's extremely entertaining, and is absolutely consistent with the Penny Arcade comic strip and the first two Rain-Slick games.  The plot is similar to the first two (oddly arbitrary tasks mixed in with RPG conventions and Cthulhu-esque lore), but it plays like Final Fantasy V mixed with Grandia II.  Plus it costs only five bucks (US$), and if you pick it up on Steam  this week you get the other two Zeboyd RPGs for free.  That's a pretty good deal. 

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2012, 11:50:56 PM »

That's enough to sell me - even were I to decide that I hated this game, the others would make it worth the purchase price.  I hope I like this one, though. :)

—Kurt Vonnegut
Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
Contributing Editor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2012, 07:56:42 PM »

I apologize for updating such an old topic, but I feel it's justified.  Call me a tool if I'm wrong. 

First, of all, Rain-Slick 3 was recently made available on iOS, Mac, and Android platforms.  Coinciding with that mini-launch was a new wave of DLC Source here

Secondly, that free DLC brings up Rain-Slick's total suite of post-launch content to three optional costume palette swaps (furry, gender-swapped, and undead) and a new post-game dungeon called Lair of the Seamstress.  I thought the LofS was kind of easy, mostly because the tricky enemies leading up to the boss are easily wiped out with item attacks.  The boss battle was fun and the class you get is pretty dope, though. 

Thirdly, Rain-Slick 4 is coming out "early next year" according to one of Robert Boyd's tweets.  There has been talk of world maps, refinements to the class system, and the usual sequel adjustments.  Here's the pretty bitchin' battle theme for Rain-Slick 4, revealed earlier today.  Zeboyd is my favorite indie developer, so I'm feeling some hype! 

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2012, 09:11:37 PM »

I finally started playing it just yesterday, after apparently buying it in June.  I'm playing it on easy because I'm more interested in the story than I am in struggling my way through to the end.

—Kurt Vonnegut
Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
Contributing Editor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2013, 09:35:02 PM »

Uh, this is already old news (RPGFan's news page already had it up over a week ago), but Rain-Slick 4 lands in 9 days. I'm excited - this looks like their best game yet. 

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2013, 10:48:34 PM »

Having taken the journey with them this far, I definitely plan to play episode 4.

—Kurt Vonnegut
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: