Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 08:32:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334704 Posts in 13708 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Disgaea 4
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: Disgaea 4  (Read 15985 times)
Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2011, 10:25:07 PM »

I'm more concerned about the story/humor than the gameplay.  Disgaea 2 fell really flat with me in that category, partly cause the main characters didn't have funny personalities

It fell a bit flat for me too..... the humor just didn't do it for me like D1 or D3.. or Makai Kingdom for that matter.....

On a different note, I just went to gamestop and yes they do have it.... they let me hold it... drool over it.... and then denied me an early purchase after I proposed slipping them a 100 bucks, hahaha!...... The sad part is I was truly trying to bribe them into letting me get my copy although it came across in jest....

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 02:30:24 AM »

Playing through D3 during the waiting period I have to say I really, really, REALLY hope they went back to the old way of learning weapon skills. In the old games if you wanted a Thief with an axe of doom; you could do it. If you wanted an archer with a speak; you could do it. It would take you longer than normal to learn the skills associated with that weapon but you could do it.

D3...you have to be in the specific class with an affinity for that weapon and the higher weapon skills are locked out unless you're using the higher tier version of that class.

It feels like a very unrewarding chore to have to grind up a basic fighter several times over just so I can reincarnate a cheerleader into its highest tier just to eventually change her back only for the sole purpose of giving her special attacks that hit more than three squares. XP

If D4 fixes that I'll be quite happy.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2011, 01:19:13 PM »

Just got my box. Unless there are some hidden ones I have to say, after flipping through the art book and having checked the Disgaea wiki, that I am rather disappointed by the sheer amount of humanoid classes that got dropped. :-\ Counting M/F versions of each class D3 had 27. D4 seems to have only 20, most of them returning classes and some of my favorites totally did not make the cut. Why do I have that irksome feeling that certain classes are going to be DLC content? XP

Gripe aside; I'm totally rushing to finish D3 tomorrow so I can get started on this beauty right away.
Zyco
Hope I'm not the old guy!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2011, 08:37:54 AM »

I still havent picked up Deus Ex and now Disgaea4 and Resistance3 are coming out on Tuesday! Im going to have to just chose one and play it until my free time expands in a month or so.
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2011, 04:55:03 PM »

It looks like Disgaea 4 has almost the same humor level as Disgaea 2 has. Disgaea 1 has a high humor level like Disgaea 3. However, like Disgaea 2, Disgaea 4 has the same dramatic feeling to it. MOREOVER, its opening theme is as beautiful as Disgaea 2's.

I see a pattern here.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 07:07:35 PM by AuraChannelerChris » Logged

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2011, 05:02:59 PM »

Yeah, I'm not finding the game particularly funny, the "Sardine" obsession is just terrible, but there have been a few parts that have amused me - but not so much as D1 or D3.  Fenrich is my favorite character by far, which surprises me.  Desco is adorable, but I don't understand the appeal of Fuuka.  My opinion might change later, I'm only about 1/3 through the main game.

Disgaea is almost more of a puzzle game than a SRPG at this point. Not that I'm complaining, I prefer the added emphasis on terrain effects and Geo Blocks.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2011, 05:09:28 PM »

Personally I hate Geo Puzzles; at least in the main story anyway. They only slow combat down and create false challenge through unfair enemy advantage. I'm fine with them as a gimmick in the Item Worlds. But when I'm trying to advance the story only to have to spend 10 minutes on a map with only 6 enemies backtracking across it 6 times to fetch blocks intentionally scattered at opposing points in order to kill invincible enemies while they snipe me with Turbo'd magic x 3? (D3) ...yeah, not fun, at all. XP

...the "Sardine" obsession is just terrible...

Haven't played the game yet but out of context it actually sort of makes sense. Referencing an episode of Doctor Who; a plasmavore was suffering from salt deficiency because she hadn't drank fatty blood in a while. Maybe Vampires, in the D universe, only drink blood for the salt content. So if a vamp is staving off feasting on blood then a super salty fish would be a pretty good substitute. XD
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 05:15:47 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2011, 05:14:37 PM »

I still havent picked up Deus Ex and now Disgaea4 and Resistance3 are coming out on Tuesday! Im going to have to just chose one and play it until my free time expands in a month or so.

I'd go with Deus Ex. Undoubtedly going to be the best of the three, and if free time's a concern it'll take you way less time than Disgaea would. Well, maybe you tore through Disgaea as fast as you could it'd be a different story, but it seems like half the point to the series is ridiculous amounts of grinding for ridiculously high leveled challenges.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2011, 05:23:53 PM »

, but I don't understand the appeal of Fuuka. 

Also; tsundere school uniform wearing school girl with a prinny hat. It's Japan; 'nuff said. XP

Personally going into the game I have rather high hopes for her and Vulcanus(?).

Fuuka because her snippet on the website presents a rather interesting character to be had. A prinny who was someone at a relatively innocent age in life with no memory of committing any sins? In the Netherworld? My "potential dark content ahoy" bells are a ringin'. Alas it being Disgaea I'm trying to keep them in check.

Vulcanus(?) just because I'm anxious to see if this plays out like I think it will. With Flonne apparently an Archangel now I'm willing to be she reincarnated Vulcanus as a girl as some form of punishment. Then again the name could just be a red herring.

Can't wait til Tuesday. Even though I have the game I'm waiting to play it til I get my FA Flonne DLC code for use.
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2011, 06:47:00 PM »

I got Deus Ex and I ordered Disgaea 4 so I made my choice,I plan to get R3 next week.

Zyco
Hope I'm not the old guy!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2011, 07:07:25 AM »

Disgaea 4 is getting fantastic reviews and I am really going to have a hard time picking later today when I go out for one of those games, I think Deus Ex is in 3rd place for me right now tho I really feel a price drop is coming even tho I would look for the Augmented Edition. So far Resistance 3 and Disgaea 4 seemed to get really high marks 9.0s+.. looks like this fall will have a ton of good games!
Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2011, 10:42:43 AM »

Well guys, this is it.... I sit drinking my morning coffee on THE day..... What day? Well the single most important day on this year for me of course, the release of Disgaea 4!!!!..... A little background...... I got sober the year Disgaea 3 came out, and when I say sober I mean I put down some very heavy chemicals that were near and dear to me for a LONG TIME, rendering me for months (literally) quite worthless..... Not only did I put down chemicals, I moved, got a new job and really hit "reset" so to speak.... Disgaea 3 was played through all those agonizing hours and then more so as the pastures became a bit greener as time went on..... Disgaea became more than a game I loved, but rather a symbol for me of sorts that I draw strength and inspiration from.... Now what does this have to do with anything? Why am I sharing this, and who might care? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING AND PROBABLY NO ONE!!!! BUT I AM TOO FREAKIN' EXCITED TO CONTAIN MYSELF!! I simply needed to express that.....

But in all seriousness, I'm going to pick up my copy now.. I worked double-time yesterday to dedicate the full day to this event and I fully intend to marathon this title today..... I well be reporting back this evening with my impressions.... Surely someone will be far more interested in that rather than my sobriety...HAHAHA!

Thanks for putting up with my non-sense here, I haven't been this excited since I was a kid..... Come to think of it, the only release that could hold a candle to this for me would be if Yoshitoshi Abe got on board with original staff to release another season of Lain or something.... Lain and Disgaea = the best things that have ever happened in entertainment for me :)

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Themadcow
RPGing since '84

4 groups of 99 Berzerkers

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2011, 11:33:39 AM »

Good story. Certainly there's an adictive quality to the Disgaea games that ranks up there with drugs and booze!

Hopefully this one is a new pinacle for the the series. Hour/Afternoon of Darkness were brilliant on PS2/PSP (Uber Prinny Baal cleans my boots) but the rest of the series so far hasn't hit the same heights, despite 3 having a good stab at it.
SquarePenix

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2011, 11:58:45 AM »

I'd go with Deus Ex. Undoubtedly going to be the best of the three, and if free time's a concern it'll take you way less time than Disgaea would. Well, maybe you tore through Disgaea as fast as you could it'd be a different story, but it seems like half the point to the series is ridiculous amounts of grinding for ridiculously high leveled challenges.

Your free time will expand in a month or so?  Isn't that about the same time Skyrim comes out? :)
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2011, 12:03:04 PM »

Good story. Certainly there's an adictive quality to the Disgaea games that ranks up there with drugs and booze!

I don't know. People aren't starting cartels to move copies of Disgaea because their client base will vomit and shit uncontrollably or commit violent crimes to get their fix.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: