Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 06:15:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338004 Posts in 13838 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Disgaea 4
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: Disgaea 4  (Read 16383 times)
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2011, 12:04:32 PM »

Good story. Certainly there's an adictive quality to the Disgaea games that ranks up there with drugs and booze!
because their client base will vomit and shit uncontrollably or commit violent crimes to get their fix.

Have you ever been to the NIS forums?

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2011, 12:19:52 PM »

Point taken.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2011, 06:45:42 PM »

Well, it's official; NISA has taught me never to buy games from anyone other than Gamestop ever again. NISA had the "brilliant" idea of deciding to E-mail the codes to the promised Fallen Angel Flonne DLC "today" instead of just including them in the box your game came it. Well; it's nearly 6pm here and no email. From what I had been reading; FAF starts at level 1 with your party instead of typical like how typical DLC characters work. So I really, really don't want to start my game without her. I paid the extra shipping to ensure my game got here on time (which it did, early in fact) but all that was wasted money seeing as how I could've ordered from Gamestop and gotten the same thing + the codes for FAF like...3-4 hours ago. :-\ NISA seriously dropped the ball.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 06:47:27 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2011, 07:29:34 PM »

Got my copy just now.Still need to finish DX HR first however.

Demon_Princess_Kay
Banninated

AnarchKay
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2011, 07:39:17 PM »

Well, it's official; NISA has taught me never to buy games from anyone other than Gamestop ever again. NISA had the "brilliant" idea of deciding to E-mail the codes to the promised Fallen Angel Flonne DLC "today" instead of just including them in the box your game came it. Well; it's nearly 6pm here and no email. From what I had been reading; FAF starts at level 1 with your party instead of typical like how typical DLC characters work. So I really, really don't want to start my game without her. I paid the extra shipping to ensure my game got here on time (which it did, early in fact) but all that was wasted money seeing as how I could've ordered from Gamestop and gotten the same thing + the codes for FAF like...3-4 hours ago. :-\ NISA seriously dropped the ball.

Sometimes the codes from gamestop don't even work right away though. I tried putting in the code i got with NMH paradise and it didn't work until two days after I had already gotten it. I wouldn't trust gamestop either.

TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2011, 07:52:42 PM »

It looks like Disgaea 4 has almost the same humor level as Disgaea 2 has. Disgaea 1 has a high humor level like Disgaea 3. However, like Disgaea 2, Disgaea 4 has the same dramatic feeling to it. MOREOVER, its opening theme is as beautiful as Disgaea 2's.

I see a pattern here.

exactly what I didn't want to hear.  oh well I should be getting it soon

Well, it's official; NISA has taught me never to buy games from anyone other than Gamestop ever again.

I thought I read that wrong at first.  Usually I see people say they AREN'T buying from gamestop again (and I'm one of those).
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 07:54:55 PM by TiamatNM » Logged
Zyco
Hope I'm not the old guy!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2011, 08:22:19 PM »

I still havent picked up Deus Ex and now Disgaea4 and Resistance3 are coming out on Tuesday! Im going to have to just chose one and play it until my free time expands in a month or so.

I'd go with Deus Ex. Undoubtedly going to be the best of the three, and if free time's a concern it'll take you way less time than Disgaea would. Well, maybe you tore through Disgaea as fast as you could it'd be a different story, but it seems like half the point to the series is ridiculous amounts of grinding for ridiculously high leveled challenges.

Your free time will expand in a month or so?  Isn't that about the same time Skyrim comes out? :)

LOL.. yeah I know.. and Dark Souls too! I really think this will be one of the better fall release seasons in recent memory.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2011, 08:53:26 PM »

Sometimes the codes from gamestop don't even work right away though. I tried putting in the code i got with NMH paradise and it didn't work until two days after I had already gotten it. I wouldn't trust gamestop either.

I've been floating forums in the downtime just to see what other people are saying in general about the game and I know the GS codes have been working for a while now. From the looks of things the FAF data was put into the PSN before today's update; as some people accessed it earlier today. So this is a rare case of GS actually being a much more responsible and cost efficient provider than the actual producers themselves.

Nearly 8pm and the code STILL isn't emailed.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2011, 03:05:57 AM »

More NISA shenanigan fun: Well, not only has NISA failed to deliver the promised DLC by the promised date (launch day is now officially over by PST time); but it appears a few people are getting "glitch" emails form NISA that claim to have the DLC code but only have "{Codeset}" where the actual DLC code should be.

*sigh* This plan was not very well thought through it seems. XD
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2011, 11:45:22 AM »

Sorry to hear about all the code troubles, but Fallen Angel Flonne or not you should give this a shot. She does start at lv.1 but just drop a few on some exp. potions and dedicate a Exp +100% map or two to her and she'll catch up before your microwave dinner cools down!

I marathon-gamed as much as I could yesterday and I absolutely adore this title!! I had really high expectations too so I'm quite surprised...... Anyone who has been reading my poorly worded posts over the last few months of me joining this lovely community may realize I'm REALLY nit-picky.... Bottom line for me this game delivers in all the respects Disgaea should, or any JSRPG in my oppinion.

Despite the claims, I haven't found the use of geo puzzles over-bearing at all, though obviously I have to reserve that judgement until I am finished with my first playthrough.

Also in regard to the humor we were oh so concerned about being too "Disgaea 2" for our tastes.... I have to completely disagree that there is any similarity.... Maybe a paralell could be drawn between the motivations of the characters to some degree, that is the M.C's both work from angles that could seem morally sound for humans as opposed to anti-logic of demons demonstrated by Laharl and company (the "bad" is "good" stuff), but other than that I've actually found the humor of this title MORE appealing than 3 to me.... certainly more than 2..... with a somehow vague feeling of the first game to me.... Long story short, I love the writing.... nuf' said.

To be honest, if I had to really wrack my brain for a complaint in any respect, it would only be the greater emphasis placed on monster type characters for battle.... which really isnt all that "great" just more advantagous than in previous titles.... The design of the base you do your thing at in between battles.......

I reserve expressing anymore oppinions about it til I play further, but for now I just want to report to those (like myself) with super high hopes coupled with extreme skepticism this is the first title I've played in a LONG time that honestly has not really let me down in some game-experience-retarding-fashion.....

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2011, 02:16:54 PM »

I don't think the Geo Puzzles are overbearing, but I do think they're definitely more frequent. There's one or two particularly interesting ones, especially later on.

I've been playing with the Online features a bit. I like Map making, but Pirating feels almost worthless.  The Foreign Minister idea is great, and I've gotten some great Bribes.  My Senator keeps killing people and voting Nay.

That said, my (working) DLC code arrived from NISA today, so it's not like they've not sent it out at all.  I think Zilton is being a bit melodramatic.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2011, 03:51:25 PM »

Alas my suspicions over the low job count have proved to be true:

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/09/05/kinos-journey-artist-made-a-new-downloadable-job-for-disgaea-4/

Lovely, DLC Job classes... >.< *sigh*

That said, my (working) DLC code arrived from NISA today, so it's not like they've not sent it out at all.  I think Zilton is being a bit melodramatic.

When you pay an extra $12ish for a produce over retail price (the cost of Overnight Shipping) you expect all of the promised product to arrive on time and with minimal issue. So really it's not an unreasonable stance to take. Why bother ordering from NISA and paying the extra money (to make sure the game arrives on launch day) when I could get the exact same product from a local retailer without any of the hickups? I paid extra for convenience; but said convenience was not given. Ergo it has proven to be a waste of money.

Additionally; due to the limited amount of E-Mails NISA can send out my code still hasn't arrived yet and, judging from the timing of who got their fake E-Mail when, it is unlikely to arrive for two more hours. With my work schedule this is pretty much TWO days of gaming lost by ordering it from the publisher rather than ye olden Gamestop. *shrugs*

Granted I'm not trying to say "Burn NISA at the stake" here. They're not Capcom; I'll still buy from them. XD But keep in mind this is my first non-GS preorder and as far as first impressions go this one royally blows.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 03:58:59 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2011, 04:55:55 PM »

Are you living in the US?  Amazon had release day shipping for $1.  Couldn't you have just paid the Flonne DLC and saved money by using Amazon?  Or was it a special thing for preordering at certain shops?

To be honest, if I had to really wrack my brain for a complaint in any respect, it would only be the greater emphasis placed on monster type characters for battle.... which really isnt all that "great" just more advantagous than in previous title

I hope they went away from Magichange weapons as much.  Wasn't a fan of them in D3 and they were eventually the best weapons.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2011, 05:44:59 PM »

Yeah, US resident. I decided to pick it up straight from NISA itself on their site; plus the FAF DLC is one of those things you only get either from Gamestop of NISA Store. One of those "exclusive" DLCs. XP
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2011, 01:34:15 AM »

Finally started playing, got in a little bit of play time; enough to get into Chapter 2. I'm starting to get flashbacks to Wild Arms Xfire; especially since this is the first Disgaea game that's killed me so early on. Like Xfire the challenge seems to be less in the strategy combat and more in following the specific tactic required for each map. Throw in the fact that the general power level of your characters has been toned down a few notches and the enemies have been turned up... (Boss character 1-shotting my level 9's in the first chapter for example, and not the rank and files either but the Mains.) It's a mixed bag; I like challenging games but I'm not too fond of the "figure out which vaguely circular log is the exact cut to fit through this very picky vaguely circular hole to advance" style of difficulty.

And now that I've played it I can agree...Valvatorez goes just a "bit" too far with his sardine gags. But over all I'm enjoying the game. Not quite sure how I feel about the whole "online interaction" component though. It was quite strange using a Cell Phone only to have an AI Lv 67 Desco pop up on a Chapter 2 map and pretty much annihilate everything for me.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: