Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 02:08:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341233 Posts in 13945 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Disgaea 4
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: Disgaea 4  (Read 16766 times)
Themadcow
RPGing since '84

4 groups of 99 Berzerkers

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2011, 05:18:42 AM »

Yeah, US resident. I decided to pick it up straight from NISA itself on their site; plus the FAF DLC is one of those things you only get either from Gamestop of NISA Store. One of those "exclusive" DLCs. XP

On the positive side, you could live in the UK and have to wait until it's October 28th release date (or get it shipped from the US, but I tend to avoid importing if possible).
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2011, 07:29:54 AM »

Only at the end Chapter 3 so far. I died again fighting
Code:
DESCO
but beat her on what is now my third cycle. Not really liking the new difficulty curve at all. It's slowing down the progress to about one new chapter a day. :-/ On the plus side I really love the Online Downloadable Maps feature; mostly because there are awesome designers who basically put every monster in the game on a single map at level 1; this way you can unlock the base form for any monster you want without having to wait until more than half the story is over to get the critter you want to start raising.

Mechanics aside; I'm kinda torn on where I would rate this Disgaea so far. It's better than 1 & 2, but 3 gave me more laughs. Conversely 3 gave me more facepalms and groans as well; and 4 has become much more tolerable now that Valvatorez doesn't yap about sardines every single map anymore. Fenrich is quite the humorous character; I was about to write him off as a Geoffery clone but he's proven to have a bit more of his own thing going on now. Fuka so far is...meh. But DESCO is unexpectedly adorable. Although from what little of the story I have this horrid hunch that (just in case)
Code:
Fuka and DESCO were like Magical Girl and rival Enemy respectively somehow.
Not sure how I'll react if that's really the case. Really looking forward to seeing Vulcanus(?) next chapter and learning how I feel about that character. Funny how so far Vulcanus(?) and Vulcanus seem to be having the same agenda with different emotions behind it. (Vulcanus went behind the Seraphs back out of spite for demons where Vulcanus(?) seems to be doing the exact same thing to Archangel Flonne more out of reverence.)

And btw...Emizel can go die in a fire. Self centered, hoodie wearing, "gansta" talkin' brat cliche...voiced by Brianne Siddall? Even Kefka can't produce enough "hates" to bury that character. (Brianne Siddal's a good VA and all but that voice with that character type pushes my irritation button.)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 07:32:17 AM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2011, 05:46:21 PM »

Mechanics aside; I'm kinda torn on where I would rate this Disgaea so far. It's better than 1 & 2, but 3 gave me more laughs. Conversely 3 gave me more facepalms and groans as well; and 4 has become much more tolerable now that Valvatorez doesn't yap about sardines every single map anymore. Fenrich is quite the humorous character; I was about to write him off as a Geoffery clone but he's proven to have a bit more of his own thing going on now. Fuka so far is...meh. But DESCO is unexpectedly adorable. Although from what little of the story I have this horrid hunch that (just in case)
Code:
Fuka and DESCO were like Magical Girl and rival Enemy respectively somehow.
Not sure how I'll react if that's really the case. Really looking forward to seeing Vulcanus(?) next chapter and learning how I feel about that character. Funny how so far Vulcanus(?) and Vulcanus seem to be having the same agenda with different emotions behind it. (Vulcanus went behind the Seraphs back out of spite for demons where Vulcanus(?) seems to be doing the exact same thing to Archangel Flonne more out of reverence.)

Agreed on all accounts.  I thought Fenrich would be horribly boring, but he ended up my favorite character.  I find Fuka to be dull and I have a hard time empathizing with her; after a while she started to grate me, but she doesn't get enough screen time to make me hate her. DESCO is absolutely adorable - she's probably the cutest character in the series.  Val gets even better near the end.  He's not as crazy as Mao and Laharl, but he's not so "good" like Adell, either.  They hit a good balance of "Demon" and "not-obnoxiously selfish" with him.

Vulcanus(?) is going to be interesting for you!  I'm not going to say anything, but I'm not sure if I like her or not.

That said, none of the jokes really made me laugh, which is a shame.  I thought D3 was the funnier game, but there was one point where Fenrich called a certain character a hypocritical bitch that had me giggling.
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2011, 10:24:37 PM »

People often blame VAs for voicing the characters. However, they never, ever get the idea that those voices have personalities for each character and thus accuse the VA when it's the personality. I think Emizel's voice is well done, portraying a bratty child.

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2011, 10:31:26 PM »

People often blame VAs for voicing the characters. However, they never, ever get the idea that those voices have personalities for each character and thus accuse the VA when it's the personality. I think Emizel's voice is well done, portraying a bratty child.

It's a common problem with dubbing. There's many other factors that aren't always considered as often as they should be, like the VA director, how rushed production was, or simply the fact that the base material may either not translate well to English VA (as the case seems to be here) or is just plain terrible (as the case is for SO4; the translators and VA staff are too damn good outside of that wreck).
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2011, 11:45:32 PM »

It's a common problem with dubbing. There's many other factors that aren't always considered as often as they should be, like the VA director, how rushed production was, or simply the fact that the base material may either not translate well to English VA (as the case seems to be here) or is just plain terrible (as the case is for SO4; the translators and VA staff are too damn good outside of that wreck).
True, true.

And that's why many English speakers choose Japanese VAs without even thinking. I don't pick them over English VAs unless the voices are pretty bad.

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
OkamiGeisha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2011, 02:39:58 PM »

I think Emizel's voice is well done, portraying a bratty child.

Do you know who the VA is? 

I though "Beat" in Eternal Sonata by Mona Marshall was fantastic with the bratty little boy role.. even though she's a middle age woman.  Awesome career: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mona_Marshall
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2011, 06:26:23 PM »

I hear Speed is the king stat again in Disgaea 4 once you get 3/4th of the way through the main game and then post game.  I honestly hated that about Disgaea 3 because it made tanks somewhat worthless, healing was next to useless, items/def/res useless, etc.  Blah.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2011, 12:41:00 AM »

I think Emizel's voice is well done, portraying a bratty child.

Do you know who the VA is? 
Your answer was a few posts above mine but whatever. He's done by Brianne Siddall. You know, the woman who gave young Mithos Yggdrassil his voice.

ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2011, 01:12:09 AM »

The problem is Brianne's and not the directors or anything; at least to me personally. Her voice has...more often struck out with me than hit home. About the only role of hers that doesn't agitate me is Jim Hawking from OS but that's probably because it was my first experience with it. Since then every role I've heard her do she pretty much clones that voice. Jr. from Xenosaga got on my nerves, Emizel's...sorta still on my nerves; he's getting better due to finally taking a back seat, and probably her worst crime was Pamela from MK 1...that voice choice still gives me nightmares.
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2011, 01:56:43 AM »

The Chief of Bureau's voice is the worst voice I've heard.

ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2011, 02:40:50 AM »

I'll have to let you know what I think when I get that far (unless you meant the information bureau). I just started Chapter 6 but am planning on some serious level grinding on 5-2 now that I have Vulcanus.

On a side note: Please tell me I'm not the only one here who has created a succubus named
Code:
Catherine
. XD
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2011, 10:21:52 AM »

Yee, the woman of the information bureau.

ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2011, 11:50:41 PM »

That one was a rather...odd choice. Kinda reminded me of the same "voice does not match the face" situation Disgaea 3 had with the leader of the PTA's VA.
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2011, 03:44:36 PM »

Not to rewind the nature of the discussion here but I gotta say something about the difficulty.... This game is FREAKIN' HARD! By far the most challenging main plot of the disgaea series. I just had my ass handed to me at the end of the 3rd chapter... INCREDIBLE!!! I have to say though that by no means is this a bad thing. Disgaea is one of the few games were grinding is enjoyable for me and I felt one of the greatest flaws of the first 3 was how quickly you could zip through the main stories only to be dwarfed upon entering post game optional maps.....

I do have one additional gripe though.... whoever thought it was a good idea to handicap the shoe makers by way of only allowing them to walk straight lines is purely sadistic..... quite honestly one of the most annoying handicaps I've ever dealt with.....

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: