Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 11:01:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341148 Posts in 13943 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  DLC. Is it going too far?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: DLC. Is it going too far?  (Read 4936 times)
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2011, 06:22:44 AM »

shit just gets hard to recognize.
I think that's a positive, it SHOULD be harder to spot a guy wearing camo in the bush.

I can't even say how many tmes I've ran right by someone or they by me in bad company 2 because people weren't paying enough attention.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2011, 07:54:40 PM »

That makes sense for something like OFP but not for something like Quake 3.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2011, 03:47:04 AM »

shit just gets hard to recognize.
I think that's a positive, it SHOULD be harder to spot a guy wearing camo in the bush.

We're not talking about someone dressed in camo hiding in the bushes but meat heads firing a rocket launcher while charging at you.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2011, 12:54:42 PM »

http://www.dorkly.com/video/18620/dorkly-bits-if-classic-games-had-dlc

Sise-Neg

Conquerer of the Cosmos

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2011, 01:42:51 PM »

If a company is going to release DLC it has to offer a lot to be worth me spending money, not just a theme or a weapons pack or something like that. But if its entirely new levels or quests then I'm okay with it.

But then when they come out with later editions of a game that includes the DLC already in it for the same price as the original game...that ticks me off (i.e. Fallout 3 GOTY Edition has all the DLC included on it for no extra charge)

Admin of The Legaia Wiki: legaia.wikia.com

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2011, 10:17:30 PM »

(i.e. Fallout 3 GOTY Edition has all the DLC included on it for no extra charge)

That's not exactly true though, those versions usually cost more than the now-discounted core game, as you can see on Steam with Fallout 3 being $20 and Fallout 3 GotY being $30. Even if it costs the same or less it's usually either because of dumb retail pricing or because it displaced the normal version months or a year after it came out, so waiting in and of itself was your price. It's not really a new trend anyway, even back 10 years ago (if not more!) we had these kinds of releases for PC games with expansions.

Last one is best.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 05:01:31 PM by Eusis » Logged
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2011, 11:24:33 PM »

EDIT: I am an idiot and hit Quote rather than Edit last night. I'm only keeping this here so Mesh's post makes any sort of sense.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 05:02:23 PM by Eusis » Logged
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2011, 11:24:47 PM »

What was the menu sound during Pitfall?

(i.e. Fallout 3 GOTY Edition has all the DLC included on it for no extra charge)

That's not exactly true though, those versions usually cost more than the now-discounted core game, as you can see on Steam with Fallout 3 being $20 and Fallout 3 GotY being $30. Even if it costs the same or less it's usually either because of dumb retail pricing or because it displaced the normal version months or a year after it came out, so waiting in and of itself was your price. It's not really a new trend anyway, even back 10 years ago (if not more!) we had these kinds of releases for PC games with expansions.

Last one is best.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2011, 07:42:01 AM »

hehehe, I like the knife

Everything's Eventual
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2011, 09:01:30 AM »

Oh man, the sonic one was awesome.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2011, 11:17:30 AM »

hehehe, I like the knife

Oh man Silent Shout is one of my favorite albums.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Murdoc

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2011, 01:12:48 AM »

Actually, nothing really pissed me off more than Fallout 3's DLC. I don't mind the new content, but the fact that you need it to level to 30 was outrageous. The first perks I got were the ones that gave you extra experience (because as any experienced rpg'er knows, those are the first abilities you should purchase) I hit level 20 about 3/5ths through the game and the rest of the game just felt pointless. Every mutant I killed, every lock I picked, nothing. I didn't even bother with the sidequests, and half of the map is left unexplored. I mean, how hard is it to just add those levels if for no other reason than to be thorough? I was a pretty unstoppable killing machine at level 20, but shit, I like to become death incarnate when I play RPGs. Every ultimate weapon, high level, sidequests done to get super armor, whatever. And I want to work at it, even if there is a level cap, not halfway through the game. Top it off with Bethesda's horse armor, and their 30 dollar shivering isles pack? Money grubbing douchebags.

Someone also made the point that it's stupid to charge 7 dollars for something that you can only buy for ten. It just seems another way to squeeze more money out of us. Why not just let us purchase however microsoft points we want? Most of these things would be easily fixed, but they keep them in place because we don't have any other choice.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2011, 01:59:21 AM »

Actually, nothing really pissed me off more than Fallout 3's DLC. I don't mind the new content, but the fact that you need it to level to 30 was outrageous. The first perks I got were the ones that gave you extra experience (because as any experienced rpg'er knows, those are the first abilities you should purchase) I hit level 20 about 3/5ths through the game and the rest of the game just felt pointless. Every mutant I killed, every lock I picked, nothing. I didn't even bother with the sidequests, and half of the map is left unexplored. I mean, how hard is it to just add those levels if for no other reason than to be thorough? I was a pretty unstoppable killing machine at level 20, but shit, I like to become death incarnate when I play RPGs. Every ultimate weapon, high level, sidequests done to get super armor, whatever. And I want to work at it, even if there is a level cap, not halfway through the game. Top it off with Bethesda's horse armor, and their 30 dollar shivering isles pack? Money grubbing douchebags.

Oh boy...

First of all, they didn't intend for you to reach level 30; the perks added are kind of a giveaway about that given how they're either mostly (if not completely) useless, ridiculously overpowered, or just ridiculous. It's really more an innate flaw in how they balanced the game anyway that you could hit the EXP cap that quickly, you were much harder pressed to hit that cap in Fallout 1 while 2 would've required an insane amount of grinding if not straight up cheating to hit it, while in 3 it's not that hard to hit 20 or even 30 (much of the world unexplored for me and one and a half DLCs to go, and I have a character who's level 26 or 27 now), and even then the intent may have been to start over trying different builds and tackling quests you ignored the first time around. Similarly, despite what experience might tell you that actually makes the higher EXP perk one of the most useless ones to pick, though that's getting sidetracked. Shivering Isles is even more inane to target, it's an Expansion Pack. Morrowind had two, both undoubtedly debuting at $30 themselves as did the Baldur's Gate titles, plenty of FPSes in the 90s had them, pretty much every Blizzard game that wasn't on SNES had them, and they were even around in the 80s going by the Wikipedia link. It's a very, very old concept and getting angry about that specifically is like getting angry when you suddenly realize you can't just put a 360 game into a PS3 and expect it to work.

Not arguing about horse armor though, but while Bethesda's been good after that who knows how much stupid little transactions for avatar clothes and whatnot could've changed that.

Someone also made the point that it's stupid to charge 7 dollars for something that you can only buy for ten. It just seems another way to squeeze more money out of us. Why not just let us purchase however microsoft points we want? Most of these things would be easily fixed, but they keep them in place because we don't have any other choice.

More ideally you wouldn't even be buying points, you'd straight up pay in cash with no fake money getting in between. I think that's mostly just a lack of foresight though, before I would've had to pay for 500 or 1000 points, and pay something like $6.25 or whatever it was, even though most games were sold for 400, 800, or whatever points. Note how you CAN straight up pay for Games on Demand titles and anything on GfWL.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2011, 02:25:53 AM »

Well using points standardizes their prices for things across several markets. So someone in new zealand or milwaukee still spends 200 points for a horse armor or something. Also, at that level they don't have to mess w/ taxes since you already did the taxes when you bought the card.

The larger downloadble titles probably vary between markets so the prices can be set based on where you are.

I prefer the "fake money" because I already had account/cc problems once w/ xbla and I'm not confident in giving them my CC directly.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2011, 02:32:39 AM »

I prefer the "fake money" because I already had account/cc problems once w/ xbla and I'm not confident in giving them my CC directly.

That's really not a solid counter though, at least for why points should be used instead (taxes and regional consistency are different stories.) EVERYONE sells $20 cards or whatever as either gift cards or credit to use on one of these DD services, so you'd simply get your $20 card and use the code just as you would a 1600 point card.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: