Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 11:06:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327606 Posts in 13412 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  new xseed psp game, Corpse Party.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: new xseed psp game, Corpse Party.  (Read 5650 times)
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2011, 08:10:26 PM »

Great game, extremely immersive, and among the scariest games I've ever played, but it had the most depressing, soul-crushing ending imaginable.
Glad to see someone who agrees
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 09:10:27 PM »

This game is right up my alley, but I wish it was released on UMD as well. I can't connect my systems up to the internet, and I'm not sure how soon I'll have it fixed. Bummer.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2011, 10:26:15 PM »

I hardly play my PSP but I'll check this out. How much is it?
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2011, 11:18:06 PM »

I hardly play my PSP but I'll check this out. How much is it?

$20. I was expecting $30, but I guess it's hard to pull that off if it isn't notably high end and on PC.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2012, 04:12:02 PM »

Started to watch a Let's play of Corpse Party and I'm wondering if is has multiple endings. I doubt that I'll watch everything with the way the guy I'm watching is playing, so maybe I end up buying it anyway when I get around to get a Vita.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2012, 04:45:06 PM »

There are technically 4 'proper' endings (not counting every single Wrong Turn). True Ending, two 'extra' endings, and apparently one of the 'Wrong Turns' is considered the canon path from what little I know about Corpse Party: Book of Shadows.

This is a game that has to be played to be fully enjoyed so I say by all means, get it. Personally I think it ranks better than 999 when you take into account some of its limitations/designs come from the fact that it was originally designed for a PC-98.

Kinda blows my mind that no one on the site has bothered to review this little hidden gem.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 04:51:42 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2012, 04:58:50 PM »

Thanks. I guess I'm going to watch until the end of Chapter 2, the guy playing is really starting to annoy me.

Though, the only pronlem I've had with the game from what I've seen is that is shows you in the main menu that it has 5 Chapters... knowing how long a game like this it is not cool. But what can I do anyway.

Also I've seen 3 deaths so far. Pretty amazing how the game manage to make you feel sick by reading the notes that other have victims left around, not to mention that the moe style that they went with makes the experience better.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2012, 05:16:49 PM »

I think you'd be surprised. Just knowing the total amount of chapters won't quite give you a proper 'feel' for the length of the game. Discounting backtracking due to Wrong Ends you'll likely have a time or two when you go to save your game and realize 'Holy crap, I've been playing for how long?' It's not super long but you get a surprising amount of bang for your buck; especially considering the later chapters (individually) can go on for longer than even a $60 console game's entire length these days (I wish I was making that up).

Depending on which deaths you've seen I think it's safe to say you've only seen the tip of the iceberg. There are a few mid game that delve been into '...that is somehow both awesome and disturbing at the same time.' and one in particular I refuse to sit through again due to the combination of sounds and descriptions. So much so that I rebooted my Go rather than letting it play out to the load screen. This coming from someone who's sat through the Saw movies more than twice. It's that squirm-inducing.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 05:18:54 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2012, 05:39:24 PM »

Yeah. I think that I just end up watching Chapter 2, saw two more deaths and so far one these scenes is pretty brutal but is presented in a very clever way that more than scary it makes you feeling all kinds of emotions at once. Not many games can do that.

What I'm really fascinated with this is that you really wanna see everyone getting out alive, but it really seems to be no way out no matter how much they search for an exit. If anything, the more you explore and keep reading notes things gets worse.

Since Amnesia: The Dark Descent that I haven't seen a good survival horror title. Though, don't know how I feel about the fact that you have to show really nasty stuff nowadays to get people a bit scared... I blame the Internet. :p

Also Corpse Party was originally released in 1996. Makes you wonder what would have happened if it was ported to the Saturn and PlayStation for the West at that time.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 11:58:25 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2012, 09:36:17 PM »

I am also impressed by how creepy and grisly this game can get. Its not just the graphic and violent images (although there are some), but in the way it presents things you DON'T see and lets your imagination fill in the rest.

The con though is that sometimes its almost impossible to figure out on your own how to get all the endings (bad endings AND the path through the chapter), and if I wasn't able to look it up on GameFAQs, I'd be playing the same chapter (with no skip or speedy option) over and over! Radiant Historia has some replay to it but at least it has a fast-forward button and more "start points" throughout. I almost wished that there were 15 chapters to the same length game - so I could start over at the relevant point.

ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2012, 09:45:53 PM »

If you make multiple save files it should be more than enough to alleviate the problem. The most I ever had to go back was about 15 minutes worth of dialog skipping in Chapter 5 because the only thing I couldn't figure out on my own was a very stupidly placed story trigger switch that makes no sense.

Code:
I looked at the big thing in the sheet and suddenly I'm locked out from the true ending, really? :-P
Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2012, 01:23:27 AM »

True, but its not always obvious - who would have thought peeking would have locked you out? Or reading something you weren't supposed to read was the right thing to do? Or when you try to trigger a bad ending and the trigger is at the beginning of the chapter? And then you have to play through the whooooooole chapter to get to the ending.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2012, 11:00:09 AM »

Just a bit annoying yes. XD

With amusement I browsed over the GameFAQs forum for this game and realized that people with no understanding of Schrodinger's Cat won't understand the ending of this game at all.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2012, 11:42:01 PM »

I got a Vita and this is my favorite game so far.  I'm only on chapter 3, and it has already been quite a ride.  The end of chapter 2 violated me a bit much... up til then, I was curious enough about the plot that the horror stuff wasn't going to stop me... its not like it was some insanely horrible thing that happened there... just that the way events were unfolding were hinting towards a different type of ending...

I don't care that I was wrong, I just feel violated because I fell for it, and was caught completely off guard by what actually happened.

This is praise, by the way.

I just read about Schrodingers Cat, and already have a few guesses as to what the ending could be, or at least what the haunted school's (or whatever) intentions are.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2012, 01:02:47 AM »

Anyone who owns a PSP, and even remotely likes good horror should play this game. I can't praise it high enough.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: