Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 01:31:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335183 Posts in 13725 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Dragon Quest X Online: Rise of the Five Tribes
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Dragon Quest X Online: Rise of the Five Tribes  (Read 13563 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: September 05, 2011, 04:07:15 AM »

1up story here, I'll add RPGFan's when that goes up. Here it is, and with tons of screens!

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 04:49:21 AM by Eusis » Logged
Demon_Princess_Kay
Banninated

AnarchKay
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 04:46:10 AM »

I'm really not sure how well a console based MMO with a monthly fee will even work on the Wii. The idea seems kind of crazy to me. Why not just wait scrap the Wii version altogether and just wait for the Wuu vers. I'm also wondering if this means Square is giving up on FF14 and just focusing on this instead.

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 05:12:34 AM »

This must have been the online project from SE that was mentioned sometime earlier. I'm surprised I didn't think of the DQ series sooner- this is a pretty natural evolution for it given the general gameplay of the series anyway.

Really, this sounds a bit like DQ9 with online capability, which is something that game was screaming for ANYWAY.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 05:14:08 AM by Hathen » Logged
Jonathan Ingram
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 05:54:57 AM »

Why not just wait scrap the Wii version altogether and just wait for the Wuu vers.

Because the WiiU`s success is not a sure thing. It may fail miserably for all we know and SE doesn`t want to risk that. The Wii on the other hand already has a fairly large install base. Still, I don`t know why anyone would want to put their big MMO project on the systems with the worst online infrastructure.
Demon_Princess_Kay
Banninated

AnarchKay
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 05:58:32 AM »

Either way it's a huge gamble. I know DQ10 was being developed for Wii to begin with, but with the switch to an online game, I think it would be a more wise decision to just go with making it Ps3 title.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 06:24:03 AM »

I think it has more to do with the fact that the Wii U hasn't been around that long compared to the development of the Wii version and they didn't want to scrap as much as they would've needed to in order to make use of the Wii U's capabilities.

Beyond that though, a subscription fee is understandable, but on the Wii's dinky WiFi? WTF!?

This just screams of Squeenix trying to maintain their coveted MMO position with something other than FFXIV and with new hotness over the old busted FFXI.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 08:28:19 AM »

It doesn't look bad but I doubt that I'll buy this if is released in the US.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 08:47:30 AM »

If this was on PS360 I'd play the fuck out of it. I was always interested in FF11/PSO but I never had the means to play them when they were big.

Screw the Wii
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 09:47:36 AM »

I'm also having second thoughts on this. I'm not even much of a DQ fan but if this game turns out like FFXXI or XIV I'm sure I don't anything to do with it.

I also wondered why this game was silent for so long. The answer is because they're doing it "in-house". If it were Level-5 it would probably have been released already. Well, at least it looks good, as good as DQVIII.

If this game comes to US & Europe I think like Monster Hunter Tri in Japan, Square won't try to charge people for it, considering it's not an MMO. If it is, then my hopes for this game being good (to me at least) is all lost.

Jonathan Ingram
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 10:37:07 AM »

I wonder if this change in direction for Dragon Quest is due to Monster Hunter`s huge success in Japan. MH encompasses many of the things that people like about RPGs(tons of loot, strong sense of progression etc) but completely ditches the story component and puts a heavy emphasis on cooperative play. Not that Dragon Quest was lacking in popularity as is, but maybe a more multiplayer oriented experience is what Yuji Horii feels the series should strive to be from now on.

Well, at least it looks good, as good as DQVIII.

Based on the video, it looks like it runs on DQVIII`s engine, which isn`t surprising. The folks in charge of Dragon Quest are a resourceful bunch. They used DQVII`s engine as a base for DQIV-VI remakes for PS1, PS2 and DS. And I have no doubt in my mind that in the next decade they`ll remake the same games again, only using DQVIII`s engine this time.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 11:17:12 AM »

If it's being developed in-house, I wonder what the means for the quality of the game?  Their other developers have generally done a good job with Dragon Quest.  I don't know shit about how games are developed and how the relationship between pub and dev are, but I'm pretty curious how it's going to turn out with with SE developing it.

Also, since it has an offline portion, couldn't it be hacked with a hacked wii to make some high level character with legendary armor like PSO?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 11:21:19 AM by Akanbe- » Logged

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Jonathan Ingram
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2011, 11:33:42 AM »

Also, since it has an offline portion, couldn't it be hacked with a hacked wii to make some high level character with legendary armor like PSO?

I think it`s not yet known if the game has an offline mode. SE did say that you could play DQ solo by recruiting AI partners, but this doesn`t necessarily mean there`s an offline mode. There are MMORPGs out there that let you play with AI partners instead of teaming up with real players.
Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 01:19:15 PM »

If there's no subscription this could be a major reason for me to buy a Wii U when it eventually surfaces. The Dragon Quest series is one of my all time favourites but I don't have the time to really invest enough time into a game to bother with subscription fees *sniff* I still miss you WoW

lavarock

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 01:24:13 PM »

Screw the Wii

Screw the Wii
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 02:43:16 PM »

http://support.jp.square-enix.com/fa...aqtop&c=4&sc=0

"When you start the game, the first few hours can be played offline. To play all of the game you will require an internet connection."

That's disappointing.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: