Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 08:27:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338766 Posts in 13865 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Dragon Quest X Online: Rise of the Five Tribes
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: Dragon Quest X Online: Rise of the Five Tribes  (Read 13793 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2011, 09:18:18 PM »

I don't see the need to be concerned. PSO ran for how many years again? Sure, the Wii is at the end of its lifecycle, but people do still buy them. I think we can reasonably expect eight years or so, which, considering how many other games will get released in that time period, is not a bad number.

PSO was wrecked in a month by hacking, and the PSU was even worse off due to sharing servers with the PC and not beign able to go all the way there. Being unable to adequately patch a game can definitely kill it when it's an online game.

Pardon how much of a pedant I may be being, but is there any indication that this game is actually an MMO and not just something like PSO or Monster Hunter with the town being a glorified lobby? I see people calling it an MMO and wonder if I missed something or if it's just people having a far looser definition of that sort of thing than myself.

That's what I was suspecting, until I saw that the gameplay footage included what looked like a LOT of other players surrounding the party and watching them celebrate their victory in a fight. If it's not an MMO it's damn close.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2011, 09:37:53 AM »

Frankly, there IS cause for concern that it may limit itself on the Wii in the long term (unless this is meant to be a "runs only a few years" MMO or something) given that FFXI is being held back by the PS2 actively, though the fact the game apparently comes with a USB memory stick, combined with 8 gb ones being extraordinarily cheap now, means that it actually might not limit itself on the patching side like PSU did by having to deal with 8 MB cards exclusively.

I don't see the need to be concerned. PSO ran for how many years again? Sure, the Wii is at the end of its lifecycle, but people do still buy them. I think we can reasonably expect eight years or so, which, considering how many other games will get released in that time period, is not a bad number.

The game will persist into the Wii-U, allowing people to login (log in) to their same accounts they used on the Wii.  The life of the Wii itself doesn't matter.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Solstafir

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2011, 04:34:09 PM »

Pardon how much of a pedant I may be being, but is there any indication that this game is actually an MMO and not just something like PSO or Monster Hunter with the town being a glorified lobby? I see people calling it an MMO and wonder if I missed something or if it's just people having a far looser definition of that sort of thing than myself.

That's what I was suspecting, until I saw that the gameplay footage included what looked like a LOT of other players surrounding the party and watching them celebrate their victory in a fight. If it's not an MMO it's damn close.
Interesting. Suppose we'll just have to wait for more concrete details at this point.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2011, 09:09:45 PM »

The life of the Wii itself doesn't matter.

or...

the Wii itself doesn't matter.

Hmm.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2011, 01:12:54 AM »

I understand missing the news in a huge thread with multiple pages per post, but this isn't too long yet and Lard DID post that on the very first page.

Oh, yeah, and looking more I see 16 GB thumbdrives are under $20, so as long as SE doesn't skimp in size they can probably get MORE than enough space for a dedicated thumb drive to be bundled with the game.

Nah. That was my bad. When I first heard the news, the way it was worded was that there was a solo campaign that you could clear without having to fuck around with the internet like in DQIX. What I posted simply clarified that to not be the case instead stating that you can't complete anything without first giving Squeenix extra moneys for content that not all of us are interested in. I suppose I should've checked other news sites and/or Lard's links beforehand.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2011, 08:05:16 AM »

After watching this video I think the game may not be as bad as I thought it would be.

One thing I surely hate about DQ games, a little less on DQVIII, are these horrible menus. They were nice for the NES but for some time they've been cumbersome to say the least. They're ugly as hell and it takes so long to select anything. Just like the priest needing to asking you a thousand question before you save.

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2011, 08:49:40 AM »

After watching this video I think the game may not be as bad as I thought it would be.

That doesn't look half bad. But my deciding factor on this game is whether or not I'll have to pay to play.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2011, 08:55:44 AM »

I wish it wasn't turn based.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2011, 03:48:21 PM »

I wish it wasn't turn based.

Well, at least they seem to let you move between turns. That's...something.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2011, 06:27:25 PM »

I think the movement is just for show. Like in 9 your guys just hopped around automatically to make it look like they were doing something.

As for turned based, well it's something different. Rather than a MMORPG it comes off like a RPG that happens to be online with a ton of people. I don't think turn based is a model that can successfully keep you playing for years, but it can still be fun while it lasts.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2011, 11:51:41 PM »

Adriasang has some new screenshots and by the looks of it they are from the Wii (not Wii U) and the environments look pretty nice.

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2011, 11:56:59 PM »

TGS trailer http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2011/2211.html

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2011, 10:56:03 PM »

That link is not good anymore.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2013, 09:34:22 PM »

So apparently the Wii-U version is a genuine bomb, unlike Tomb Raider.

http://www.destructoid.com/dragon-quest-x-wii-u-opening-sales-are-really-bad-250722.phtml

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: