Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 03:47:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318867 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Fire Emblem 3DS
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 43 Print
Author Topic: Fire Emblem 3DS  (Read 51919 times)
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2012, 08:20:04 PM »

It's possible to get through the FE games by grinding, just like any other RPG.

My point wasn't that it was or wasn't good strategy but that FEDS1 isn't the only game in the series with bullshit access requirements.
I agree; but in other games they weren't so absurd, in my opinion. Finishing under a  specified number of turns or doing something specific in battle makes much more sense than killing off your teammates. I just dislike the concept, is all.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 08:23:21 PM by Leyviur » Logged

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2012, 10:49:47 AM »

If you let someone die in FE7 your survival rank goes down. Completely different strategy mechanics.

I suppose it must be hard for your average RPG player to figure out strategy, skill, and scoring systems when they mainly play games that have no scoring systems and reward grinding.

Unless I'm mistaken that only counts for people within my own team. If the person in question is still a green NPC when he inevitably dies due to being horribly under powered and stuck on the other end of a map loaded with Dragon Riders, Ballistas, Shine equipped monks, and a couple of Silver equipped prepromotes plus a mobile boss in the midst of a long fog of war map, then I assume the game will treat it like it treats all NPC deaths. Besides I don't think it counted my accidentally killing Uber Spear equipped Vadia during my first run through either so I'm pretty sure I'm good to let this one go as well.

And really it's not so much lacking strategy as it's simply lacking the means to do anything about it due to lack of foresight (or foreknowledge really since I didn't quite expect him to show up so far away from my starting position).

Also I don't think advocating the expenditure of a large quantity of resources (and units) just to save one potential recruit counts as good strategy either. My assumption then was that the best strategy at that point was to let my bench go without one more warmer (thanks HHM for your low loadout limits, and besides using Generals is generally speaking a bad idea for meeting turn count ranking requirements anyways) and I'll continue to stand by that decision now, thank you very much.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2012, 10:56:11 AM »

my problem with both DS FE's is that they were way too faithful to the originals and seemed to make the assumption that the player doesnt care about any individual unit. as if they are merely chess piece's to the player.

edit: i just did some reasearch and ill be shocked as hell if this game comes to the states.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 11:01:52 AM by Alisha » Logged

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2012, 11:05:41 AM »

I think for a lot of FE fans that were first exposed through FE7 it's become one of the marks of the series to have each unit be a character, whether they were important to the story or not. Only like 5 of the characters in FE7 were actually important to the plot, but you wanted to keep the other guys alive because you liked them as characters (You'd get bonus scenes if you kept certain ones alive, too, like Matthew). With FE11 the game was designed to be the exact opposite of what I came to love in the series- having a lot of the characters be inconsequential to the story so you don't feel as irritated when they get killed off (Class changes also added to that), and then you fill in that roster with a bunch of stand-in characters. This is without taking into considering the fact that they removed a bunch of gameplay mechanics from the series without replacing it with anything interesting.

If I wanted to just have a bunch of pieces I don't care about for a strategy game to use as sacrificial goats I'd play Advance Wars or Starcraft or something.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2012, 07:23:57 AM »

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/02/10/fire-emblem-awakening-makes-you-a-main-character/

Let's just hope that this time the game's MU doesn't break the game in half like FEDS2's did....Oh who am I kidding, we've already got a free roaming overworld, what's a team full of shit kickers being led by a God Tier MU and a fairly one-sided support defend/attack mechanic plus a skill system more flexible and in depth than even FE10's was going to do to balance that?
Code:
Limit us to 20 recruitable units max, that's what. Calling it now, this game's going to be more boring than FE8 was.

Edit: The only way this is going to get any more broken is if they include something akin to FE3 Book 2's Star Shards or FE5's Scrolls. Load as many as you can on a character and watch them ram all the caps. All of them.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 07:38:42 AM by Aeolus » Logged

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2012, 07:44:33 AM »

Unless I'm mistaken that only counts for people within my own team.
That's how it works in FE7. I believe FE12's survival rank counts potential recruit deaths against you, though. In any case, the issue is how the game mechanics and rules are designed, the difference in strategy involved, and how gamers are likely to dismiss mechanics without understanding them.

Let's just hope that this time the game's MU doesn't break the game in half like FEDS2's did....Oh who am I kidding, we've already got a free roaming overworld, what's a team full of shit kickers being led by a God Tier MU and a fairly one-sided support defend/attack mechanic plus a skill system more flexible and in depth than even FE10's was going to do to balance that?
MU didn't break FE12, at least on the hardest difficulty. It was the Rainbow Potion that reduced difficulty the most. First of all, we don't know if there is support defense, or whether enemies can use support attacks or not. There might still be a very difficult mode for skilled players, as Nintendo has been doing very well lately at catering to a wide range of skill levels. So not only are you making ignorant statements about MU in FE12 and making wrong claims about FE: Awakening, but you're waving the e-peen "too easy" flag around.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2012, 10:12:44 AM »

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/02/14/do-you-want-your-fire-emblem-characters-to-die/

Lunatic and Casual (i.e. no perma death) modos confirmed. No mention of any Reverse Lunatic modos or Gaiden chapters that require the player to be under a certain threshold of units.

I should probably complain about something else to get another hilarious rise out of MJ-rpgfan, but :effort:. Maybe a comment on what the MU would get as a prf/prf legendary to offset Krom!'s (not?)Falchion.

Edit: Story Details
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 10:14:57 AM by Aeolus » Logged

mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2012, 11:08:19 AM »

Yes, just claim you were trying to troll, that always works.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2012, 05:20:25 PM »

To be perfectly fair, I do have my misgivings when I see developers start stuffing gameplay systems from every previous game in the series into their latest creation. It didn't work at all for Sword of Mana and the more I see of this and consider the twelve games that came before it, the more I worry that'll turn into a clusterfuck of gameplay systems.

That and I seriously wasn't expecting you of all people to call me out on being an elitist prick. It's almost worth badgering you now.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2012, 10:22:34 PM »

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/02/14/do-you-want-your-fire-emblem-characters-to-die/

Lunatic and Casual (i.e. no perma death) modos confirmed. No mention of any Reverse Lunatic modos or Gaiden chapters that require the player to be under a certain threshold of units.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2012, 10:53:05 PM »

mjrpgfan, your antagonistic remarks towards people whose opinions you don't agree with is generally frowned upon. Consider this your second warning.

AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2012, 11:13:15 PM »

I agree. This game is just so unforgiving in later difficulties I'm using no perma death.

Hell, I'll play HARDER difficulties with no perma death. Death is what keeps me away from doing Hard Mode.

Kupo'ing to Victory! ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2012, 11:38:12 PM »

mjrpgfan, your antagonistic remarks towards people whose opinions you don't agree with is generally frowned upon. Consider this your second warning.
What "antagonistic remarks" are you talking about? My language has been entirely mild considering the usual level of discourse on this board by yourself and others.

To be perfectly fair, I do have my misgivings when I see developers start stuffing gameplay systems from every previous game in the series into their latest creation. It didn't work at all for Sword of Mana and the more I see of this and consider the twelve games that came before it, the more I worry that'll turn into a clusterfuck of gameplay systems.

That and I seriously wasn't expecting you of all people to call me out on being an elitist prick. It's almost worth badgering you now.
Stuffing gameplay systems from every previous game? There's nothing of the sort going on. It's Sacred Stones with a few extra gameplay options from FE: Heroes of Light and Shadow. Sounds like more baseless worrying that will turn out to be wrong. And yes, keep admitting that you are trolling while insulting people as "elitist pricks".
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 12:24:55 AM by mjrpgfan » Logged
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2012, 12:58:54 AM »

Aeolus made a post about FE (whether that post was ill-informed, I don't know, I don't play much FE anymore), then you started with the "e-peen" stuff that led to his 'trolling.' Aeolus can be annoying sometimes, but he made a statement about a game, and you answered with a passive-aggressive statement against his person. This all stems from your inability to allow others to make any sort of negative remark about games you like. If you're going to post your implied insults and passive aggressive attacks, I'm going to tell you to cut it out. This has nothing to do with your language - rather, it has to do with your general attitudes towards others' opinions - that is, you attack them if their opinions are not in line with yours. Implicit or explicit insults towards others for statements they make about a game annoy me deeply, regardless of the person who says it.

Note that I have not insulted you at all in this post. I am describing the problem that your posts consistently have. You could be my best friend in the whole world and I'd still tell you to stop. So stop, please; debate game mechanics if you desire but don't insult others if they don't agree with what you say. I don't see what part of 'don't insult other people for their opinions on games' is supposed to be hard.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 02:37:05 AM by Leyviur » Logged

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2012, 03:45:12 AM »

my problem with both DS FE's is that they were way too faithful to the originals and seemed to make the assumption that the player doesnt care about any individual unit. as if they are merely chess piece's to the player.

And that is exactly why I like the DS FEs. Of course with no permadeath, I suppose I wouldn't mind having characters I actually cared about, if that's even possible.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 43 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: