Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 06:04:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334723 Posts in 13708 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Fire Emblem 3DS
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 44 Print
Author Topic: Fire Emblem 3DS  (Read 71372 times)
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: September 20, 2012, 03:36:26 PM »

I might actually give the series a second chance with this one since they're making permadeath optional.

Same here. Actually, this'd be the zillionth chance I've given it. Permadeath just makes me overthink everything, and even then I still screw up a lot. It's just not fun.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: September 20, 2012, 05:07:34 PM »

found a list of dlc characters.
http://serenesforest.net/fe13/recruit_spotpass.html
im speechless...not just the sheer amount of characters but look at the last character in each category in case some dbag would consider that a spoiler.
Oh wow that looks amazing. Almost all of my favorites are there. Sad to see no Azel from Genealogy Gen 1, but oh well. The most important thing is that Ira is recruitable. Woot!

And that list doesn't even include the set released today (in Japan of course) which have a bunch of villains that weren't covered by the previous sets. Also the DLC that's been released so far.

And speaking of genealogies and the eugenics that tends to follow in such games, who would you guys pair together and for what reasons?

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: September 20, 2012, 06:53:25 PM »

I'm wondering what trick they'll pull out of their hats for the next FE. They already threw almost every notable character from previous games into this one. And forget about balance or difficulty.. it's pretty much a broken sandbox a-la FFT/TO at this point with all the DLC released.
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: September 20, 2012, 07:47:59 PM »

I'm wondering what trick they'll pull out of their hats for the next FE. They already threw almost every notable character from previous games into this one. And forget about balance or difficulty.. it's pretty much a broken sandbox a-la FFT/TO at this point with all the DLC released.

http://andriasang.com/con0c7/fire_emblem_iwata_asks/

I wouldn't be surprised....

Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: December 05, 2012, 01:32:39 PM »

I put on my cloak and wizard hat and go double-necro-bamp....

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/12/05/fire-emblem-awakening-awakens-in-u-s-this-february/

....with US release date of Feb 4th and a EU release of sometime in April plus DLC being confirmed.

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: December 05, 2012, 04:56:59 PM »

Hooray.  Glad I'm asking for a 3DS for Christmas then.  I'm surprised it's coming this early.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 05, 2012, 05:42:41 PM »

Hooray.  Glad I'm asking for a 3DS for Christmas then.  I'm surprised it's coming this early.

Game came out in April in Japan, so from that angle it's an average localization time, maybe a bit slow by modern expectations when it's not licensed to someone else.

From a perspective of announcement to release... Well, I believe they did indicate it'd be out early 2012, but admittedly Nintendo tends to announce much closer to the actual release than most publishers would.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: December 05, 2012, 06:02:13 PM »

Well, I'm extra glad I bought my American 3DS now! :D

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: December 05, 2012, 09:15:13 PM »

Crazy excited for this now. The videos and screenshots look great, and the DLC actually looks pretty decent.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: January 05, 2013, 05:29:38 PM »

With this coming out in under a month, how exactly is it?  Anyone import?  I didn't see much actual talk about the merits/demerits of the game in the few previous pages I read.  I definitely want to pre-order this as I haven't played a Fire Emblem in awhile and they are usually the type of SRPGs that I enjoy.  Anyone read anything interesting about the game, besides the optional perma-death?

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: January 05, 2013, 07:12:35 PM »

It's a lot like sacred stones. Open world, imbalanced/easy, endless grinding, and dating sim/procreation stuff.
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: January 05, 2013, 08:08:26 PM »

With this coming out in under a month, how exactly is it?  Anyone import?  I didn't see much actual talk about the merits/demerits of the game in the few previous pages I read.  I definitely want to pre-order this as I haven't played a Fire Emblem in awhile and they are usually the type of SRPGs that I enjoy.  Anyone read anything interesting about the game, besides the optional perma-death?

They basically threw everything short of the kitchen sink into this game. They've got a world map and alternate promotion choices ala Sacred Stones, they've got a generational/eugenics/incest aspect ala FE4, they've got an improved version of the customizable skill sets ala Radiant Dawn, they've got a similar support function ala the GBA era FE games, they've got forging and online shops ala the DS remakes, they've got a 'everybody's room' for miscellaneous character building and random items, they've got a customizable avatar unit ala FEDS2. The only things they're missing are FE2 & 8's trainees and FE5's capturing mechanics and that's just the old stuff. The new stuff includes having multiple class options per character, as well as the option to class down to visit a different prepromoted class for its skills, and the option to have units 'double' up which allows two different characters to function as one as well as providing additional stat boosts for the character in the lead, plus units adjacent to, or 'double'd up onto, other units can participate in battle by either pitching in an additional attack or blocking an incoming attack, and when you're done with the main game you can take on side quests for extra characters, download DLC missions (both free and not so free) which tend to offer extra classes, skills, characters, and challenges, and connect to other players playing the game to either challenge or recruit their team.

As for the other things like story, plot, music, character designs, ect..., from what I've learned the story's okay, the music's great, the character designs are ehh (especially the DLC ones), and the challenge varies from cakewalk (normal with DLC during the main story) to "unless I can somehow bum rush the win condition in 2-3 turns I am completely fucked." (lunatic+ during main story without grinding).

And though I haven't imported or played it yet, I did spend a rather unfortunate amount of my unemployment purgatory sperging out over it (I wanted to figure out who would be the best parents for the best kids and well now I know that, and the worst parents, and what to do if I make my avatar female instead of male, as well as which class is statistically the best, what path I want to take to optimize my skills (both in the main plot as well as afterwards), which class is statistically the worst, what classes to take to optimize my stat gains per level, who I want to download for my DLC party (you can download anybody, including other players' avatars, and even have multiple copies of either but you can only have 20 available on your deployment roster at any given time with everybody else needing to be released back into the cyber aether of your downloaded roster), and so on....).

mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: January 05, 2013, 10:11:19 PM »

"The only things they're missing"

They're also missing things like game balance, a scoring system, or a difficulty mode that isn't easily broken. Before you ask, yes there were a couple of FEs that had scoring systems.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: January 06, 2013, 02:58:22 PM »

Holy cow! I was so consumed by grad school the past few years that I had no idea this was even coming! Guess I'll have to get a 3DS now.

I've been searching around for screens and videos since reading this topic and I have to say I'm pretty pleased with what I'm seeing. Shadow Dragon and Radiant Dawn were pretty disappointing entries in the series, but it looks like this game may get things back on track. Really liking the graphics and character art too. Only a month away? Great!
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: January 06, 2013, 04:31:37 PM »

"The only things they're missing"

They're also missing things like game balance, a scoring system, or a difficulty mode that isn't easily broken. Before you ask, yes there were a couple of FEs that had scoring systems.

I can't honestly say though that any FE game has been perfectly balanced; case and point: archers.

But yes, you can easily do things like abuse the DLC chapters for vast amounts of cash, massive quantities of experience, and a veritable mountain of uber weapons a short ways into the main game. At least you don't have to abuse these things to get through the game, even on the hardest difficulty.

And yes, there's no scoring or even a death count like in earlier games. And in regards to the scoring, I can't imagine that working well with a game that lets you build up support levels with virtually everybody to A rank (there's an S rank now which is for marriages and limited to one per). It just creates a conflict of interest like it did in FEs 6 & 7.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 44 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: