Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 30, 2014, 06:28:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329967 Posts in 13522 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Fire Emblem 3DS
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 44 Print
Author Topic: Fire Emblem 3DS  (Read 65030 times)
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: January 25, 2013, 01:10:29 PM »

I've never played a Fire Emblem game before.  I'm considering jumping in with this one, but as I still have my Gamecube does anyone think the FE game on that system is worth the trouble?

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: January 25, 2013, 01:30:48 PM »

I've never played a Fire Emblem game before.  I'm considering jumping in with this one, but as I still have my Gamecube does anyone think the FE game on that system is worth the trouble?

Absolutely. I loved that game it has probably one of the best stories of the series (my favorite of the ones that have been localized so far, although Sacred Stones is a very close second). The Wii sequel isn't as good as the GC one, but it's solid if you end up liking it enough to get a sequel.

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 25, 2013, 01:53:49 PM »

It's definitely worth a playthrough if you have a GameCube or Wii handy and not packed away like me. I haven't touched the Wii version still (oops), but I liked the GC one.

And if not, Awakening is a completely fine place to start - I feel it's newbie-friendly.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: January 25, 2013, 02:14:57 PM »

It's definitely worth a playthrough if you have a GameCube or Wii handy and not packed away like me. I haven't touched the Wii version still (oops), but I liked the GC one.

And if not, Awakening is a completely fine place to start - I feel it's newbie-friendly.

The Wii one is definitely the worst of the ones that have made it to our shores, but still worth it honestly. Go back to it at some point :P

Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: January 25, 2013, 10:14:02 PM »

Absolutely. I loved that game it has probably one of the best stories of the series (my favorite of the ones that have been localized so far, although Sacred Stones is a very close second). The Wii sequel isn't as good as the GC one, but it's solid if you end up liking it enough to get a sequel.

Yea, Path of Radiance is fantastic. The battle animations were a bit on the lackluster side, but story, characters, battle maps, art. Great place to dip your toes into the water, and probably cost effective if you can find it. Radiant Dawn is only okay, and really long. It does have some cool classes that we may not see again though. I personally think that Shadow Dragon for DS is the worst entry that has been released outside of Japan. Too easy, and it oddly rewards players for allowing their units to die as that is the only way to play all of the maps.

In other news, man I'm excited. Have I said that yet?
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: January 25, 2013, 10:54:36 PM »

Shadow Dragon is just for nostalgia, but since we didn't get Fire Emblem until the GBA era, we didn't really have any nostalgia for it, so it was kinda just a dated game without much to redeem it.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 11:05:28 PM by Starmongoose » Logged

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: January 25, 2013, 11:03:04 PM »

Yea, Path of Radiance is fantastic. The battle animations were a bit on the lackluster side, but story, characters, battle maps, art. Great place to dip your toes into the water, and probably cost effective if you can find it. Radiant Dawn is only okay, and really long. It does have some cool classes that we may not see again though. I personally think that Shadow Dragon for DS is the worst entry that has been released outside of Japan. Too easy, and it oddly rewards players for allowing their units to die as that is the only way to play all of the maps.

In other news, man I'm excited. Have I said that yet?

Shadow Dragon is also a remake of the first game which means that even with the updates added to modernize the game its still a 19 year old game at its heart. And to preempt mjrpgfan SD also didn't have any sort of scoring/ranking system which is apparently another major drawback (which, to be fair, does prevent those who play only for score like mjrpgfan from doing so since there's no longer any fixed performance goal to aim for, while those of us who like to play it our own way can ignore the pressure of obtaining perfection).

Radiant Dawn also has its share of clever ideas as well as its flaws. Most notable is the attempt at having you play from the perspectives of both sides of the conflict. The big problem stems from the fact that you spend a third of the game on one group of people, another third on another set of people, and the final third is everybody and their brother getting together to compete for the 12 or so spots on the endgame team with half the cast having fewer than 3 chapters since the first third of the game to catch up with (and some having fewer than 3 chapters of availability total). Still, the maps are quite varied for the most part with all of them having some sort of theme, feature, or alternate objective.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: January 25, 2013, 11:35:36 PM »

I concur that Shadow Dragon is by far the worst of the ones we have gotten so far. I reviewed it for the site when it was released and agree with all the complaints Jimmy outlined. It's probably best for people who aren't very good at SRPG's and want something easy. The story is also very lackluster compared to every other entry.

Kratoscar2008
Wayfarer of forums

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: January 25, 2013, 11:37:34 PM »

Can you (As my unit?) marry with any unit here or you only make cupid work and pair characters?

I shamefully admit this is the only reason im considering this game altough i have played sacred stones and FE 6.

The True Growlanser
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: January 25, 2013, 11:45:08 PM »

I'm willing to forgive the story considering the fact it is a remake of an NES era game. It reminds me a lot of the early Dragon Quest games storywise, and I'm okay with that. They could have fleshed out the characters through support conversations or something though. If they'd done that and fixed some of the other glaring problems it would have been a pretty good game.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: January 26, 2013, 12:41:40 AM »

Can you (As my unit?) marry with any unit here or you only make cupid work and pair characters?

I shamefully admit this is the only reason im considering this game altough i have played sacred stones and FE 6.

You can make the avatar sleep with any opposite gendered character in the game, barring the DLC and legacy characters. This includes children, late game characters, and post game characters among the usual lists of potential suitors. Additionally, whomever you pair the avatar up with will have a little cutscene play out depicting their proposal.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Kratoscar2008
Wayfarer of forums

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: January 26, 2013, 01:15:09 AM »

You can make the avatar sleep with any opposite gendered character in the game, barring the DLC and legacy characters. This includes children, late game characters, and post game characters among the usual lists of potential suitors. Additionally, whomever you pair the avatar up with will have a little cutscene play out depicting their proposal.

awesome im going to get it then.

The True Growlanser
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: January 26, 2013, 02:28:38 AM »

Liking the answers.  I think I'll pick up the 3DS title and try it out.  I only have Devil Survivor Overclocked and LoZ: Ocarina of Time at the moment, so they could use a new friend.  Might try to find Radiant Dawn as well.  There's a couple of Gamestops relatively close by that I can look at.

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 26, 2013, 02:47:22 AM »

If you want to be sure, try the demo. There's actually a lot of people who were won over by it from what I've seen, which is quite the accomplishment given it's an RPG demo.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 26, 2013, 08:20:48 PM »

Yep, my tactician had plenty of options. The proposal was kind of cute and pretty hilarious (you get it at S rank), and it only took me til chapter 12 to get it.

Gotta admit, my tactician and her spouse are pretty badass on the battlefield. I just give them killing edges and watch them go. :')

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 44 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: