Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2014, 11:05:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340847 Posts in 13927 Topics by 2221 Members
Latest Member: alceste007
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Fire Emblem 3DS
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 44 Print
Author Topic: Fire Emblem 3DS  (Read 77324 times)
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #330 on: February 13, 2013, 10:11:28 AM »

:3 feels good to be right.

You get access to a shop around Chapter 4, I think. If you think Lunatic is bad, after you beat Lunatic, you unlock Lunatic+ which is even worse. The difficulty in Fire Emblem games is not about demonstrating your awesome tactical prowess. To win you basically have to turtle, turtle, turtle. Ultra-defensive, with the abuse of every mechanic available. I honestly suggest restarting on normal difficulty. Permadeath is enough of a challenge already.

Yeah, Dice. The DLC map is quite good for the free EXP. You can do it as many times as you want, and the two towns on the free map will give you random items ranging from crap to awesome.

I appreciate the info, but if I just wanted to beat the game without problems, I'd have played on normal. It's not about 'winning for me,' it's about the challenge. Getting frustrated and wanting to smash the game is part of my fun. I'm 10 times more likely to actually beat the game on lunatic than normal, where as soon as it feels easy I will probably lose interest and never play again.

Also I woke up and beat chapter 2 on my first try. Luck, sure, but I'm okay with it.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 10:17:10 AM by Taelus » Logged

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #331 on: February 13, 2013, 10:33:09 AM »

Well fair enough. :) Everyone's different. I've played almost every Fire Emblem except Holy War, and I end up losing heart about half way through them when I try it on a harder difficulty. Stuff like unexpected reinforcements, losing a character very close to finishing the map, an assassin or a sniper getting lucky crits.

I'm just not cut out for it. :P

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #332 on: February 13, 2013, 10:35:27 AM »

The reinforcements is always what gets me on harder difficulties. I'll leave my weaker characters in the back so they don't get demolished and then they'll randomly pop up like 5 units behind you and then they get to move first before you and wipe out everyone I had in the back and I start throwing temper tantrums haha. It hasn't really happened in this game though because I don't have any weak characters in battles since they are all upgraded and whatnot thanks to the DLC maps etc...

(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #333 on: February 13, 2013, 11:13:06 AM »

Thanks for the answer Star!

I actually thought about restarting on Normal because Hard was giving me so much grief. However, I realized that part of it was me being unhappy with MU's strong stat, so instead I restarted on Hard Classic again but this time making the strong stat magic, since I was leaning that way with her anyway. Now she's a beast and one of my highest level characters. I mean, a strong magic user with above-average defense? Yes please!

On chap 5 now, but thinking about doing Florina's DLC fight next for the EXP. After looking at the official character list and this thread, I'm rethinking some of my pairings. The Miriel/Vaike pairing seems cute, but I'm kinda thinking about what Lucca said and leaning towards the Vaike/Lissa pairing. I was thinking Miriel/Kellam might be interesting to see, or maybe Miriel/Lon'qu.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #334 on: February 13, 2013, 11:14:03 AM »

And now you guys know why I went with Hard Casual for my first run through. Nothing like some asshat reinforcements showing up to gank somebody you were trying to keep out of harms way.

Also if we're discussing pairings mine so far have been:

Chrom <=> Sumia
Virion <=> Lissa
Frederick <=> Olivia
Henry <=> Maribelle
Donnel <=> Sully
Kellam <=> Cordelia
Stahl <=> Cherche
Lon'qu <=> Panne
Ricken <=> Miriel
Gaius <=> Tharja
Gregor <=> Nowi

And I'm getting to the point where I'm getting ready to cash in on some of these. I've already cashed in on Cynthia who's now rocking both Aether and Galeforce along with her Pegasus Knight skills.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #335 on: February 13, 2013, 11:33:01 AM »

Err.. people regularly do low turn count runs of FE games on their hardest difficulty. Turtling is not necessary. Awakening in particular is easy to break on any difficulty with Nosferatu tomes, spotpass hires, or DLC recruits/grinding. Look at this screenshot where someone cleared Lunatic+ in under 2 hours.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 11:37:05 AM by mjrpgfan » Logged
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #336 on: February 13, 2013, 11:35:34 AM »

I actually had to restart the game once I figured out some of the rules. My first tactic was giving every healing item to Fred and also giving him a bronze sword. He's pretty much my vanguard until I can get access to the planning screen and DLC maps. I managed to beat chapter 2 last night just before I popped a blood vessel.

It's not exactly the least stressful way to play, I'll admit that, but I'll be damned if the satisfaction at the end doesn't wipe away all the rage. ^^;

Also mrjrpgfan, turtling is most definitely necessary on the first few maps in lunatic. Until you can actually DO nos tomes, spotpass, and DLC, you basically have to cheese the game to win.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #337 on: February 13, 2013, 11:40:25 AM »

Err.. people regularly do low turn count runs of FE games on their hardest difficulty. Turtling is not necessary. Awakening in particular is easy to break on any difficulty with Nosferatu tomes, spotpass hires, or DLC recruits/grinding. Look at this screenshot where someone cleared Lunatic+ in under 2 hours.

These people have memorized the maps to an insane degree. This isn't their first run through, it isn't their first Fire Emblem game ever, which is the case for a couple of people in this thread. It's not the same situation and turtling is very sound advice.

You could show me a screenshot of any amazing feat someone has accomplished in some game, but that doesn't make it easy or something most people want to attempt. This is why such a screenshot is noteworthy.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #338 on: February 13, 2013, 11:47:16 AM »

So my marriage of Lucinda and my unit worked and it's certainly cute, but inside I feel kind of disturbed (you'll know what I mean when you get farther in the story if you are lost). I've been playing on hard classic and have only let 1 character die so far through the whole game and I'm up to chapter 18 (plus I didn't really need the character). I'd say that is pretty good.

mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #339 on: February 13, 2013, 11:49:41 AM »

Also mrjrpgfan, turtling is most definitely necessary on the first few maps in lunatic. Until you can actually DO nos tomes, spotpass, and DLC, you basically have to cheese the game to win.
Nope. Take a look at serenes forest or the gfaqs boards sometime. Here's a sample Lunatic turn count someone posted on a serenes thread:

Prologue - 5
Ch. 1 - 4
Ch. 2 - 6
Ch. 3 - 4

I wouldn't call those counts "turtling".

Yet when I prove "The difficulty in Fire Emblem games is not about demonstrating your awesome tactical prowess. To win you basically have to turtle, turtle, turtle." is a wrong statement, I get unrelated excuses about how some people here are inexperienced players. Ok?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 11:52:06 AM by mjrpgfan » Logged
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #340 on: February 13, 2013, 11:58:33 AM »

Nope. Take a look at serenes forest or the gfaqs boards sometime. Here's a sample Lunatic turn count someone posted on a serenes thread:

Prologue - 5
Ch. 1 - 4
Ch. 2 - 6
Ch. 3 - 4

I wouldn't call those counts "turtling".

Yet when I prove "The difficulty in Fire Emblem games is not about demonstrating your awesome tactical prowess. To win you basically have to turtle, turtle, turtle." is a wrong statement, I get unrelated excuses about how some people here are inexperienced players. Ok?

What exactly are you trying to prove here? All of these people are outright saying luck is a huge factor here. They say numerous times that they've had to restart tons of times to get lucky enough to win the first three chapters. Turtling has nothing to do with how many turns it takes, at least not as I'm talking about it. My turn count for chapter 2 was 6, and I turtled the shit out of the map with Fred. Experience has nothing to do with it, either. It's luck, period. The RNG is god in these games (at least for the lunatic and lunatic reverse modes), and it always has been, and all of these people on this thread you've linked have outright said it. They've also said 'chapter 2 is a nightmare,' which pretty much goes hand-in-hand with exactly what I said. But if it'll make you happy I'll say "oh gawrsh I must just suck at this game and not be as good as I want to be because these guys have managed to finish the map."

EDIT:

Examples!
Iono. Lunatic+ is partially random and luck based. Every enemy has 2 of the random Lunatic+ abilities. So you can get stupid things like a merc with vantage+ and luna+ and then fred who was taking 0 damage get's chunked pretty hard.

EDIT 2:

Also I love that these guys are calling him "Chrome."
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 12:08:11 PM by Taelus » Logged

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: February 13, 2013, 01:47:39 PM »

Eh, I'm playing hard/casual for a mixture of Taelus's and John's reasons. I want a bite to the game, some actual challenge, but I don't go through SRPGs all that often (for some damned reason the only ones I've reliably completed are DISGAEA games) so I'd rather not have OCD kick in when characters die. Just as well, that's a good chance battles end in a blood bath anyway, especially chapter 6.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #342 on: February 13, 2013, 02:47:56 PM »

Don't let him get to you Taelus. Its just his way of playing, and besides, the kind of run he's talking about involves a lot of rescue skipping, save scumming for good sparkle title drops and lucky boss killing crits, DLC hires/shops, Streetpassing an old Avatar into a new game (highly likely in fact), abusing renown bonuses, and heavy leaning on Nosfertanking/S ranked supports/Galeforce shenanigans at the very least.

In fact, the run in that pic most likely involved using a Streetpassed maxed out Avatar by purchasing her (has to be a her since the Avatar cannot get Galeforce any other way) with the funds that the Ultimate Emblem gives you (the maximum amount you can hold) to solo the game while carting Chrom along for seizes and other miscellanies.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #343 on: February 13, 2013, 03:02:41 PM »

Don't let him get to you Taelus. Its just his way of playing, and besides, the kind of run he's talking about involves a lot of rescue skipping, save scumming for good sparkle title drops and lucky boss killing crits, DLC hires/shops, Streetpassing an old Avatar into a new game (highly likely in fact), abusing renown bonuses, and heavy leaning on Nosfertanking/S ranked supports/Galeforce shenanigans at the very least.

In fact, the run in that pic most likely involved using a Streetpassed maxed out Avatar by purchasing her (has to be a her since the Avatar cannot get Galeforce any other way) with the funds that the Ultimate Emblem gives you (the maximum amount you can hold) to solo the game while carting Chrom along for seizes and other miscellanies.

Honestly, I don't know how anyone could find that fun.

mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #344 on: February 13, 2013, 03:25:08 PM »

Umm how do you know that is "my way of playing"? You're making assumptions.

Turtling in a corner is not necessary on Lunatic. If Fred is advancing forward to take on enemies that is not what's usually called turtling. Not a lot of luck needed to get through Lunatic 1-4 if you use an optimal strat. Once you reach Chapter 5 you can access all the highly imbalanced DLC/wi-fi features.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 44 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: