Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 04:44:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319664 Posts in 13044 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Fire Emblem 3DS
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 43 Print
Author Topic: Fire Emblem 3DS  (Read 53313 times)
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #360 on: February 15, 2013, 07:37:44 PM »

Oh wow, Golden Gaffe is insane. Got 30kish gold for completing it which is quite a bit more gold than I had prior to running the map. Back to grinding support without fear of running out of weapons!

I counted 57000 for collecting everything for one run. Granted, due to where I'm at in the game right now, I ended up pissing that away on Second Seals, Master Seals, and the occasional Brave Weapon.

Also, much more efficient than just handing Donnel a Lief's Blade and letting him loose (you may have hit your low ceiling early but you'll always have your farming, gold farming that is).

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Let's see if you bastards can do 90.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #361 on: February 17, 2013, 02:09:45 PM »

You know, the more I play this-- and I'm enjoying it, by the way-- the more it seems to me that the story is utter crap. Events just happen with little or no justification and seem just like setups for the awesome cutscenes. Like
Code:
The arena fight in Ferox? Oh, hi, we just met but u fight for me for my political position?

Also so far, the character conversations haven't been nearly as interesting as anything I've seen in other games with skits. This game gets a bit of a pass, I suppose, since there's so many of them, but at least up to A rank I haven't really felt like I've read anything... interesting, between some of my characters. As a gameplay mechanic they're great and give me SOMETHING to personify the people, but I have to say once I got over the initial awesomeness of the presentation, I feel like I'm reading a Saturday-morning cartoon.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: February 17, 2013, 03:17:20 PM »

Yeah, it's definitely a game you play more for the gameplay than anything else, though the character interactions are engaging enough I guess. Sounds to me like some of the other FE games are better to go to if story's a big deal.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #363 on: February 17, 2013, 03:35:10 PM »

Path of Radiance has probably the best story of a Fire Emblem, and good gameplay too.

This game is like a mix of all the best bits from past Fire Emblem games, but really support conversations are just there to make you get a little bit attached to them so you care if they die. Playing Shadow Dragon or Radiant Dawn was really hard for me without the support conversations. Even if they are just generic little scenes, I welcome them compared to nothing.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #364 on: February 18, 2013, 12:50:22 AM »

For the sake of avoiding spoiling the game I'm going to wrap the rest of this post in code tags.

Code:
To me, the Jugdral games were the best story wise (where one game has you on the losing team for the majority of the game plus the capture mechanic made for more unique situations than other game in the series; Radiant Dawn also tries to have this but bails too quickly on them to focus on the peeps from the last game), although the Emblem Saga games were probably even better provided they ever get finished (which will probably never happen considering the clusterfuck the Emblem Saga games were).

I was hoping that my initial impressions with the plot were more due to the finer points getting lost in translation rather than the actual strength of the plot but I was wrong. The game did have some points I wasn't able to pick up on like Plegia's aggression stemming from Chrom's father's shenanigans, but like many other things with the plot, the game only told and did not show. And yes, the game has a decidedly more 'anime' (for lack of a better term) plot than with other games (well, closer to 6 and 8's plot compared to the others) but the game's power of friendship theme was just as disappointing as I feared. I think though the two biggest problems with this game's plot stems from a) the lack of a decent support cast (discounting the major antagonists i.e. Gangrel, Walhart, Validar, Aversa as well as peeps like Emelina, Flavia, and Basilio, who do you have left? A Ferox border guard? A captain of the local Pegasus Knight wing? Walhart's goons? Say'ri and her brother? Tiki? Virion even?), and b) the fact that, while the game has a broad scope (two whole continents instead of one or part of one), it was seriously lacking in the details (only four nations, which is less than even Magvel had in Sacred Stones).

As for the supports, my problem with them stems from the fact that they're mostly there for the lovers/breeding/eugenics purposes with very few options for those who aren't looking to get into somebody else's (fugly) pants. And while some of them are pretty good a number of them are just "Here's my quirk!" "Why that quirk doesn't really sit well with my quirk." "But when I put my quirk together with your quirk, we make for a quirky pair." "That's so quirky I might just make our quirky pairing permanent. Marry me!".

Now granted, there's more to come from the DLC, but just with the base game's plot and characters, there's quite a bit left to be desired. And this is unfortunate since it means that you have to effectively pay double to get the full monty. But at least the core gameplay is solid enough to make the base game feel like a complete game.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #365 on: February 18, 2013, 01:31:29 AM »

Finished Chapter 7. It took me 7 times to do it, and 3 of those 7 times I got down to 1 or 2 guys and made an oversight that killed one of my dudes. Needless to say, I cursed. A lot. Hard Classic is making me realize that I may have an anger issues.

Anyway, I've been doing some thinking and here are my current support plans:

Chrom - Sumia (already at S)
Vaike - Miriel (caved to peer pressure)
Sully - Donnel (ditto)
Cordelia - Frederick
Gaius - Lissa
Lon'qu - Panne
Virion - Maribelle (their lifestyles seem to complement each other)
Tactician - Gregor (mostly driven by my tastes in dudes)
Nawi - Rickon
Stahl - Olivia
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 01:34:35 AM by (Tunnels) » Logged
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #366 on: February 18, 2013, 01:32:55 AM »

Finished Chapter 7. It took me 7 times to do it, and 3 of those 7 times I got down to 1 or 2 guys and made an oversight that killed one of my dudes. Needless to say, I cursed. A lot. Hard Classic is making me realize that I may have an anger issues.

I havn't touched Gregor since I got him. Same reason.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #367 on: February 18, 2013, 02:23:55 AM »

I ended up pairing my Avatar with Yarne (who is awesome by the way, his battle quotes are hilarious).

Also, I wanna mention that the first postgame paralogue is the same map from the first chapter of the second book of the third game.

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #368 on: February 18, 2013, 06:55:55 AM »

Pairing for my first playthrough:

Chrom- Sumia
Lissa- Henry
Loivia- Donnel
Maribelle- Ricken
Sully- Fredrick
Cordellia- Kellam
Cherche- Virion
Avatar- Lucina(I really hope where the Morgan from this pairing comes from gets some explanation at some point)
Panne- Stahl
Miriel- Vaike(because I just don't care about either)
Tharja- Lon'qu
Nowi- Gregor

A lot of these were just sort of "whatever" choices as I decided midway through my playthrough to not get all supports so I just wanted to get the children paralogues opened up quickly so I could get my first playthough finished. Somewhat dreading my second and third playthroughs atm. Second one will be for getting all female avatar conversations and third will be for getting all supports....pretty much period. The gods of grinding had better be smiling upon me when I get to my third playthough. x_x Not going to get to starting those until nearly all of the Spotpass stuff is out though.

Also so far, the character conversations haven't been nearly as interesting as anything I've seen in other games with skits. This game gets a bit of a pass, I suppose, since there's so many of them, but at least up to A rank I haven't really felt like I've read anything... interesting, between some of my characters. As a gameplay mechanic they're great and give me SOMETHING to personify the people, but I have to say once I got over the initial awesomeness of the presentation, I feel like I'm reading a Saturday-morning cartoon.
Eh some of them are actually interesting, such as Lon'qu and Thraja where you finally learn why Lon'qu has a "phobia" of women. You just have some which are just there for the purpose of being there(such as anything involving Miriel). Also I seem to recall that one of the Fire Emblems had support conversations worse than these.....I want to say it was Radiant Dawn where most of them were basically just generic conversations, but I can't recall for sure.
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #369 on: February 18, 2013, 09:12:20 PM »

I havn't touched Gregor since I got him. Same reason. :P

What can I say; I like 'em bigger, older, and from a fictional world.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #370 on: February 19, 2013, 01:02:40 AM »

Aeolus' summary on romantic quirks was perfect.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #371 on: February 19, 2013, 01:39:37 AM »

Yeah, I think I'm done with this game. Chapter 6, the story is absolute ridiculous nonsense. The dialogue sucks and is full of incredibly awkward jokes that I can only assume are the fault of the translator, and the character interactions are incredibly shallow and meaningless. "ARE YOU SHOCKED BY MY BEAUTY?" "NO BUT YOUR SHIRT IS WRINKLED PLEASE FIX IT". Everyone is an anime trope, and not even a well-done anime trope (TALES OF THE ABYSS WOULD LIKE A WORD WITH YOU, INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS). I can't give a shit about the combat because I don't give a crap about any of the fifty million characters the game keeps throwing at me. Pretty cutscenes, though.

Annubis
Image is from Magical Diary. It's the Deus Ex of VN/Dating sim

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #372 on: February 19, 2013, 03:29:57 PM »

Hearing all the praise about this game makes it very tempting for me to get a 3DS...
That and I could get Zero Escape too...

Gaaaaaaaah! but I hate handheld gaming =(
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #373 on: February 19, 2013, 03:36:51 PM »

Hearing all the praise about this game makes it very tempting for me to get a 3DS...
That and I could get Zero Escape too...

Gaaaaaaaah! but I hate handheld gaming =(

VLR is amazing SO GOOD.

Klyde Chroma
Novice Bulimic in training.

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #374 on: February 19, 2013, 03:48:58 PM »

Yeah, I think I'm done with this game. Chapter 6, the story is absolute ridiculous nonsense. The dialogue sucks and is full of incredibly awkward jokes that I can only assume are the fault of the translator, and the character interactions are incredibly shallow and meaningless. "ARE YOU SHOCKED BY MY BEAUTY?" "NO BUT YOUR SHIRT IS WRINKLED PLEASE FIX IT". Everyone is an anime trope, and not even a well-done anime trope (TALES OF THE ABYSS WOULD LIKE A WORD WITH YOU, INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS). I can't give a shit about the combat because I don't give a crap about any of the fifty million characters the game keeps throwing at me. Pretty cutscenes, though.

I'm having a difficult time with it holding my interest as well, but I was placing the blame on Ni No Kuni-LoL

Oddly enough, I typically eat up cliche anime stuff.... but the "lather rinse repeat" gameplay here is sort of getting to me.... that and I feel very "disconnected" from the mechanics here.... I still don't really grasp a lot of stuff having not ever played a fire emblem.... class advancing, pairing selection et cetera...... I just don't get it (though I imagine as I delve a little deeper it will make more sense or become more thoroughly explained.... I hope). Gotta say though, I love the permadeath! It does force me to pay closer attention and care A LOT more than I would typically... in fact I could easily see me giving up out of boredom if not for classic mode. Additionally I imagine I would be fostering a great deal more enjoyment out of the DLC maps and summoning all these other units to my map if I actually had played other FE's.... I'm grateful none-the-less though... thanks to street pass and these FE historical units my team seems to be trumping the chapter battles without much difficulty or frustration (currently on chapter 8, my avatar is level 21.... group with stahl in battle = untouchable unit!)

In truth, I don't find this to be a bad title by any means.... but I'm certainly not finding it to be as stellar as I expected given the hype.... I still have to reserve judgement until I really see how all this "pairing up" and "having kids" stuff pans out....

.... and yes, cut scenes are ridiculously aesthetic.....

this signature is Blace's fault...
Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 43 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: