Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 08:00:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335212 Posts in 13725 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Fire Emblem 3DS
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 44 Print
Author Topic: Fire Emblem 3DS  (Read 73215 times)
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #570 on: September 30, 2013, 12:04:40 PM »

Today's my birthday, so by proxy it's Robin's birthday!

He got a Superior Jolt for his day, while the female version got an Eirika's Blade.

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #571 on: October 08, 2013, 01:17:05 AM »

Today's Noire's birthday!

She got a Glass Sword... INSOLENCE!

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #572 on: October 08, 2013, 01:38:14 AM »

BLOOD AND THUNDER! Today's Yesterday's Noire's B-day (and I might as well throw in The Avatar's B-day here as well since ACC got a B-day for his and it's as good of a day as any).

Noire, like Owain, Inigo, and Cynthia, cannot inherit the full 9 classes that the other kids can as their class sets come with too much overlap (or in Cynthia's case, none of her non Avatar options do her a lot of good). That said, Noire preferred father is Gaius due to getting her on the Galeforce and the fact that only Nah and Kjelle really want him otherwise (and Kjelle would rather have Donnel first). Gregor, Donnel, and Lon'qu are also good fallbacks for her but Gaius is pretty much the best in terms of skills offering Galeforce, Lucky Seven, Astra, and an inheritance of either Sol, Counter, or Axebreaker. Counter is actually a pretty amusing choice for Noire simply due to her default class being Archer, but like most children, she doesn't really care about her default class (that said, Counter is still pretty useful for Double Duel), but she'd probably want Sol instead since Axebreaker is almost as useless as Bowbreaker is on a non-flier. Her mother Tharja gives her an interesting advantage in that she can pass down Tomebreaker to Noire (if you bothered to level her up for it and not reclass her to something else or bench her entirely), which when paired with Bowknight's Bowbreaker, can enable Noire to take Dark Flier and pick up Galeforce with almost no effective damage to worry about (only Beastkillers and Violent Axes can do effective damage and the latter doesn't really show up at all in enemy hands). This means that Gaius!Noire can have an amazingly solid start and just in time for the main game's endgame.

As for stats, Noire also has an interesting start in that she's in the one class that can fix the biggest problem she inherits from her mother, a lackluster Skill stat. Moreover if Tharja shacked up with Ricken instead, Noire would have the highest possible Magic modifier outside of a Magic specced Morgan (too bad for the Archer tree + Great Knight class overlap, at least she'd get Sage and Paladin out of the deal). Of course Noire will inherit the worst Skill and Luck stat modifiers out of all the kids without help and a Gaius sired Noire will have +1 to Skill and -4 to her Luck modifier while Donnel!Noire will have -1 Skill and +1 Luck. With a properly specced Avatar, Noire!Morgan could wind up having either +10 to Magic, -4 to Skill, or -7 to Luck.

The tl;dr for Noire is that she's pretty self sufficient on her own and hard to fuck up, but with a good combination she can become one of the most solid characters in the game. She really wants to take to the skies though.

As for The Avatar him/herself, aside from running errands for Lord British, the Avatar can basically be anything and do anything (except for Morgan and the other child born from the Avatar's union for obvious reasons). The Avatar can choose to diversify his/her stats betwixt many of the major stats (if the HP build is taken) or to specialize in one particular stat and minoring in two others (every other option), and likewise can the Avatar take a massive hit to stats based on the penalty taken. With the specialty the Avatar can gain a +4 in a particular stat, the only characters who have a modifier that high are children and a few of the post game characters but with the harshest penalty of -3 can Maribelle, Tharja, and certain children with specific parentage can match. No matter the build though, the Avatar will always have a +3 overall stat modifier which is great for a 1st genner but not excellent.

For skills and class access, it'd be easier to name the ones the Avatar doesn't get. The Avatar will always have access to the Tactician and its promotion Grandmaster as well as the Cavalier, Knight, Myrmidon, Mercenary, Archer, Thief, Wyvern Knight, Mage, Dark Mage, and either Priest/Cleric class trees as well as either the Fighter and Barbarian (and Dread Fighter if you include the DLC) class trees or the Pegasus Knight and Troubadour (and Bride if you include the DLC) class trees, and no matter what the Avatar cannot access the the Lord or its promotion Great Lord classes (although Morgan cannot access Lord/Great Lord even if he's Chrom's son but Avatar!Lucina still can), the Villager, Taguel, or Manakete classes, nor can s/he or their progeny can access the Dancer, Overlord, and Lodestar classes. Either way that's 54 skills + either 8 or 10 skills (depending on gender) + up to an extra 6 from DLC, that's anywhere from 62 to 70 skills and a whole shitload of combinations available to the Avatar.

And while Morgan is pretty much straight up superior to the Avatar in class/skill access and stat modifiers, and the DLC/Spotpass characters are basically premade Avatars, the Avatar will always maintain one advantage over these pretenders, and that is the ability to support EVERYBODY (outside of DLC/Spotpass characters; not to be confused with the postgame characters that are unique and aren't just Avatar copies). Regardless of gender, the Avatar can support anybody and everybody, including the characters with only one support option (which is, of course, to the Avatar), and moreover can achieve S rank (and thus marry) anybody of the opposite gender (progeny aside for again, obvious reasons). While this doesn't mean much to the Avatar him/herself, it could mean everything to Morgan who can inherit classes or skills otherwise exclusive to certain characters or locked to their progeny as well as inheriting the boosted stat modifiers that 2nd genners get (as 2nd genners' modifiers are the sum of their two parents and an overall +1 boost to every cap, Morgan's modifiers will be the sum of three parents worth of modifiers plus that overall +1 boost; which unfortunately does not get repeated) netting Morgan modifiers of up to +11 in some stats and/or an overall stat modifier total of +18.

As for in-game performance, the Avatar will immediately hold three advantages over everybody else. First is availability, matched only by Chrom. Second is Veteran providing an accelerated experience growth rate, provided s/he remains paired up with somebody. And finally is weapon advantage holding both means of attacking Defense and Resistance at the same time, as well as a built in ranged option that doesn't deny him/her the enemy phase, plus a means of taking advantage of early game weapon triangle which is usually (although not so much in this case) heavily populated with axe users. Moreover given the Avatar's mission critical status, one could think of the Avatar as a sudo-Lord character with a sudo-exclusive class (as long as you don't look online), however, the Avatar is not a lord and is thus not mandated in any fight save for prologues 1 & 2, and chapters 1, 2, and 23, and thus can be perma-benched. Additionally, the Avatar's overall growth rates kinda suck (made up for the fact that s/he'll have a lot of levels to go through to make use of their nigh unfettered access to the reclass system).

The tl;dr is that the Avatar is more or less the main character and has nigh unlimited options available to him/her at any given time. Once you get to level 10, the doors will fly open the world will become the Avatar's oyster.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #573 on: October 11, 2013, 12:33:29 AM »

And today's Lon'qu's birthday.

He stepped on a Glass Lance and didn't break it. Then he got a...Sweet Tincture?

Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #574 on: October 11, 2013, 04:19:57 PM »

Stay away woman, yesterday was Lon'qu's Birthday.

The game's requisite Myrmidon. At least you don't have to brave the wrath of his Killer Edge to recruit him like most instances of his archetype (looking at you Navarre, Samto, Ayra, Shiva, Fir, Guy, Joshua, and Zihark).

Gameplay wise, he'll be a solid contributor to the team for most of the game should you use him as he has a lot of the better dodging options available to him. Stat wise, he's tied with the Male Avatar and Stahl for highest 1st Gen Male overall stat modifier total in the game of +3, most notable are his Skill and Speed stats at +3 apiece (even Panne doesn't get numbers like that). Speaking of Panne, by pairing with her, Lon'qu's son Yarne will end up with sicknasty Skill and Speed modifiers of +6 and +7 respectfully and with the Avatar's contribution Morgan could wind up with either +10 Skill and +7 Speed or +8 Skill and +11 Speed. Additionally, Lon'qu can pair with Nowi to produce a Nah who can birth a Morgan with the highest possible stat modifier total in the game of +18 (as well as fixing Nah's and Morgankete's Speed issues). Noire and Severa might not dislike having him as a father either but he's not the best choice for either as well.

Skill wise, Lon'qu's problem stems from the fact that his Myrmidon and Thief class trees share the same Assassin promotion and that a lot of children will start with either the Myrmidon or Wyvern Knight class trees (and Yarne starts with Thief). That said, he'll never want for extra avoid or mobility as he has pretty much all of the major Avoid+ skills available to him. Starting with Avoid+10, and he can level for Lucky Seven, Quick Burn, Swordbreaker, and Lancebreaker netting him +95 avoid on the first turn to most melee attacks; he'll only sport up to +70 avoid on Axe users if he has a sword on him (and why wouldn't he if he's toting Swordfaire instead of one of the other skills), but he'll only have +45 on Bows and Magic regardless. Alternatively, he can take Movement+1, Deliverer, and either Acrobat and Pass or take on the Wyvern Lord class to effectively give himself a mount (or his mount a mount), and/or he can also take Astra and Leathality (and Swordfaire if he remains unmounted) to boost his combat effectiveness.

Basically, he'll fill his archetype well, but when there are so many characters who can fill multiple archetypes at once, he loses a bit of his value. And while he's not the best choice for classes/skills, but at least he'll improve his kid's Skill and Speed caps.

Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #575 on: October 17, 2013, 01:19:40 AM »

Poor you if you forgot that today's Cherche's Birthday.

Anyways, Cherche's probably one of the most interesting playable female gen 1 characters in the game role-wise in that she has the highest Strength and second highest Defense of any 1st gen female in the game (outside of The Avatar) but despite that most of her classes ignore these stats or do not play well with them. In a mechanical sense, the game implies that Cherche was meant to become a staff bot or magic user like most of the other females in the game but wound up taming a dragon wyvern instead. On the plus side, Cherche can learn the Valkyrie's Dual Support+ skill to enhance her pair up ability to support others (along with Deliverer), and I guess she can become one of the more viable Bolt Axe/Shock Stick users in the game. On the other hand, most of her skills don't do squat for her. Tomefaire is useless to her outside of the Sage and Valkyrie classes (not even Bride helps with this) let alone needing to max Sage just to get Tomefaire in the first place, and Rallies Magic, Luck, and Resistance are all kinda mediocre (especially Rally Luck) and there are far better Rally Bots than her. Demoiselle is kinda okay and Miracle could be useful in a pinch if she's got nothing else to take. Ultimately though Healtouch, Renewal, and Dual Support+ are the only skills that really interest Cherche when she's not riding Minerva (or Minerva in a funny looking Griffin costume), and she's probably the best character in the game to fork over that Iote's Shield DLC skill scroll to due to lack of useful skills her desire to stay in the air.

Fortunately this isn't as much of a problem with Cherche's son Gerome as it is with her since he will inherit the Barbarian class tree instead of Troubadour/Valkyrie. Unfortunately, Gerome could use some extra help in the class department plus Cherche's stat modifiers outside of Strength and Defense are kinda bad with a hit in everything but Magic and Luck and an overall modifier total of +1. Stahl is actually a fairly solid choice for her as he compliments her strengths with his own in addition to having a high stat modifier total to offset her penalties, plus he offers Gerome a solid set of classes to support his stats with the Cavalier and Myrmidon class trees (and Bow Knight for Bowbreaker I guess). Alternatively, The Vaike wouldn't do much for Charome but he could lead to a Morgan with the highest DPT (damage per turn) potential in the game (and he could inherit two female exclusive class skills if The Avatar, Cherche, and Charome play their cards right) but he might also have the worst Resistance in the game. Beyond that, you might as well play up Cherche's magic heavy portfolio by pairing her up with either Ricken or Henry.

Gameplay-wise, she's alright so long as she stays in her base class tree or swings over to War Cleric since that's the only class that plays well with her initial build. She comes into a chapter practically tailored made for her and her Hammer, but she's also the second to last breedible 1st gen character making her pretty late to the party (and competing with two other fliers), and the Valmese Vacation is going to be packing Wyrmslayers, Beastkillers, Bow Knights, and magic users out the wazoo making it hard to justify using Cherche over an easier to use character.

Ultimately, Cherche tries to be interesting with her skill set and stat cap distribution but it more or less backfires on her, forcing you to either keep her in her starting classes or going to great lengths to fix her problems. Her midgame join time, the upcoming rough waters for fliers and other units with major vulnerabilities, and poor payout makes it really hard to keep her off the bench. Also her personality gimmick is kinda mediocre and doesn't help matters at all.

AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #576 on: October 17, 2013, 02:16:08 AM »

I checked and it's not her birthday yet. You're possibly using New York Time Zone which means, for me, tomorrow is her birthday.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #577 on: October 17, 2013, 02:18:15 AM »

Get a god damn room you two.

The sexual tension in here is suffocating.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #578 on: October 17, 2013, 04:48:54 PM »

Get a god damn room you two.

The sexual tension in here is suffocating.

Unfortunately, our support rank isn't high enough yet. I think we're still working on C rank. :v

And to be fair ACC, if I post on the day of, you only have to wait a day for your update. If I wait to find out from you though, I'll end up waiting 364/5 days for the update.

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: October 17, 2013, 08:59:27 PM »

There's really no need to correct ACC every single time he posts a character's birthday and it looks to you like he's a day off just because of time zone differences. The time zone differences just mean you're both right. Or wrong. Or something.

In any case, ACC always posts before you when it comes to characters, so you don't seem to be waiting 364/5 days. :P

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #580 on: October 17, 2013, 09:12:00 PM »

you don't seem to be waiting 364/5 days. :P

what about 358/2 days?

I'll show myself the door.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: October 17, 2013, 09:51:21 PM »

that is acceptable. Only for you though.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #582 on: October 17, 2013, 10:28:57 PM »

There's really no need to correct ACC every single time he posts a character's birthday and it looks to you like he's a day off just because of time zone differences. The time zone differences just mean you're both right. Or wrong. Or something.

In any case, ACC always posts before you when it comes to characters, so you don't seem to be waiting 364/5 days. :P

That's because I typically don't pay attention to it that much (and 72.8 days is a rather arbitrary number to begin with :v). I guess posting character synopses doesn't require a birthday, but I'd rather not post it all at once since I doubt that would fit two or even three concurrent posts, and I wouldn't even try even if it weren't against the rules since there's 49 characters to cover and a hell of a lot of gameplay info and factoids to remember/recall about each one.

Also it takes me a couple of hours to write one of these so I might end up missing the date even if I was aware ahead of time.

Well either way, my tl;dr is that I don't mean to sound like I'm snapping at anybody, especially since I'm in no position to do so.

AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #583 on: October 17, 2013, 11:52:29 PM »

We're possibly the only two people keeping this game alive in this forum.

Video game caring potential, people.

Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #584 on: October 20, 2013, 03:49:47 PM »

I have a trip coming up and I was going to play the shit out of this game on the plane, but I can't find my copy :-(

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 44 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: