Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 01:36:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327806 Posts in 13420 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Fire Emblem 3DS
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 44 Print
Author Topic: Fire Emblem 3DS  (Read 61780 times)
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #585 on: October 27, 2013, 09:55:18 PM »

So today (or tomorrow, depending on where you live) is Flavia's birthday. I can't quite tell if her name is supposed to be ironic or slightly racist.

Either way though, Flavia's role in the game is to be the endgame crutch character that these games tend to give you. In this capacity she does alright. Unfortunately though, her support options are extremely limited to The Avatar, their kid if they S-Rank each other, and one other, just like other late main game characters (at least she's better off than the post game characters). She also comes with no pre-built supports further placing her behind everybody else in the main game.

Thankfully, her class combination isn't too bad, starting with Hero with access to the Thief and Knight class trees for Pavise, Luna, Dual Guard+, Lucky Seven, and Movement +1 for skills. Her classes all use Swords except for Knight and General (and Bride if including DLC), so she'll probably want to reclass into Great Knight before hitting up either of those two. That said, her stat modifiers don't do her a hell of a lot of good though, as she gets a single point to three of the four big combat stats (Strength, Skill, and Speed), at the expense of a point in Magic and Defense (the remaining big four), leaving her with a total modifier of only +1.

The tl;dr is that she's helpful for when you get her if you need her but she's otherwise just there. She can't breed on her own, she doesn't have anything worth pairing her with the Avatar for, and she has only one support alternative to the much sought after the Avatar (and the Avatar related units). At least she has a large presence in the story for what its worth (even if she really doesn't do a hell of a lot after her introduction).

Sperg Edit: I guess she does deserve bonus points for being the first female Hero since FE6's Echidna (barring reclassing/promoting Cordelia, Severa, The Avatar or his Daughter/Daughters, or the Daughters of Donnel and Gregor; and disregarding Malice, especially FEDS2's 'retconned into a Myrmidon' Malice/Maris; and potentially disregarding Tellus's Nephenee since the Solider/Halberdier/Sentinel were only close approximations to the standard Mercenary/Hero classes which got upgraded to sudo-Lord classes (though she does come prepromoted in FE10)).

Double Sperg: And going even further than Echidna, the only other potential female Mercenaries/Heroes are FE4's Radney, BSFE's Malice, and FE5's Machua, and none of them actually make it to the Hero class (although in Badney's and Manchua's case that's more of an after effect of the Jugdral games not actually having a proper Mercenary/Myrmidon class, instead opting to introduce the Sword Fighter class which could either promote to the massively superior Swordmaster class or the 'only in FE5 can they use Axes and are thus proto GBA era Heroes' Mercenary class (and it depended entirely on who had the class); in Malice's case, she only has the one chapter and no means of promoting anyways).
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 10:28:21 PM by Aeolus » Logged

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #586 on: October 30, 2013, 11:13:28 AM »

I forgot to mention Flavia got a Miniature Lance. As a Kahn, this is degrading.

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #587 on: November 03, 2013, 05:23:27 PM »

And now it's
Code:
Aversa's
B-day.

Out of all the post game characters she is by far the best of the lot. Her greatest advantage is Shadowgift, one of the best skills in the game, and outside of DLC is exclusive to her and her daughter (which actually makes her an attractive mate for a Male Avatar). And while that alone is worth more than anything any of the other post game characters bring to the table, she also sports an impressive set of classes and skills, including her default class and it's level 15 skill Galeforce (additional desirable skills include: Lancefaire, Vengeance, Deliverer, Tomebreaker, Axebreaker, Quick Start, Slow Start, and Lifetaker). Her only drawback is that she doesn't have access to the Sage class to make full use of her magical capabilities (or really any magic using classes outside of Dark Mage/Sorcerer and Dark Knight/Flier; also the lack of access to Bowbreaker for having both airborne class trees, but then she's like the only other character in the game to want Iote's Shield if you got it from the DLC (Say'ri being the other one)). She also has a good spread of stat cap modifiers for a first genner, even if none of them are really worth writing home about aside from the +3 magic (basically, she takes a hit to strength and luck for a minor boost to skill and speed for an overall +2 modifier which is average for a 1st genner and post game character).

The tl;dr is if there is anyone you might want to consider pairing a Male Avatar up with, it would be her as Morgan will be an amazing magic user. She's also not too shabby herself (especially for when she can use magic).

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #588 on: November 03, 2013, 08:32:29 PM »

It's you-know-who's birthday!

She got a Gaius' Confect. Bye-bye young woman figure.

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #589 on: November 13, 2013, 11:58:18 AM »

And today's Henry's birthday! Will he receive a bloody cake?

He got a Celica's Gale (sweet) and a Finn's Lance.

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #590 on: November 13, 2013, 07:44:54 PM »

Quoth the Raven; Happy Birthday Henry.

Henry's a bit of an odd duck in that he's primarily competing with Tharja for a spot on the roster much like Stahl does against Sully (provided your play style incorporates Dark Mages). Whereas Tharja has the better Speed, Henry has better Skill and Luck. Additionally Tharja's classes and skills ultimately work to boost her Accuracy, Skill, and Defense with the Archer and Knight class tree skill sets, whereas Henry's Thief and Barbarian class trees bolster his Speed, Strength, and Critical Rate with their skills and growths, namely Wrath and Gamble. Ultimately, Tharja's skills are the better of the two as Luna is a great offensive skill that can bypass enemy defenses far more effectively than a crit can plus Pavise paired with both Tome and Bowbreaker and her naturally high Defense score can allow her to dodge or tank far more effectively than Henry's Lucky Seven + Tomebreaker will. What Henry does have though is the odd ability to shift gears into a physical powerhouse with Axefaire, Wrath+Gamble, Lethality, and Vengeance, and anyone he smites can become fodder for his sustenance through Life Taker, and his time as a Dark Mage will give him great magical prowess making him one of the better candidates for the one of the two Bolt Axes you get in the game (as far as magic weapons go, Bolt Axes are the best with their much higher power and forgeability). Of course, Henry's biggest problem is transitioning from his Dark Mage class tree since outside of DLC his classes doesn't use tomes and he'd have to go up Dark Knight for an alternate weapon type to train in while not neutering his offense (although Tharja has the same problem, her transition is slightly easier as Great Knight nor Bow Knight are the worst classes to wind up in).

As for stat cap modifiers though, Henry beats Tharja hands down. Henry sports boosts in three of the four major stats (Str, Skill, and Def), plus Mag, and a higher overall stat cap total of +2 (beating Tharja's +1) at the expense of Luck of Res. Unfortunately, unlike Tharja's massive Magic (and dismal Skill and Luck) Henry's modifiers are spread pretty thinly with Skill receiving the highest boost making him unable to stand out in any particular area (outside of his hit to Luck which is in a four-way tie for worst in a 1st gen male not named The Avatar).

And then there's child rearing which lands Henry in a particular vat of hot water. Namely due to the fact that his particular combination of classes somehow shares a class with the default classes of every child in the game not named Lucina (including Cynthia whom he can in fact sire). In other words, no child sired by Henry will have access to the full 9 potential classes a father can bequeath. Thankfully, this is mitigated by his access to the Dark Mage class tree.

However, there is one obstacle that Henry cannot overcome, and that's his iffy availability in the main game. He shows up at the start of Chapter 13, right before Lucina joins, the trip to Valm, and the kids start becoming available, whereas Tharja joins up late in Chapter 9 right after the game's second prepromote Libra joins. That's the better part of four chapters, and that's not including Paralogue 4 or the other 3 Paralogues that might have been put off, or DLC, or random encounters. Anybody you were waiting to pair him up with will end up having to wait that much longer to build to S-ranked Support for, which means even less time for the child when s/he joins.

The tl;dr is that Henry has some great benefits to using him, but his late availability, his competition with a similar character, and slightly underwhelming inheritance offerings put a crimp in his style. Fortunately, if nothing else, he has the option to pair up with Sumia as a last ditch should she find herself as an old maid up unto that point.

AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #591 on: November 18, 2013, 11:03:18 AM »

And today's Panne's birthday!

While she didn't get any carrots, she got a Superior Edge...and a Rift Door.

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #592 on: November 18, 2013, 11:19:04 AM »

Have you ever thought of taking all that character info you write on birthdays and compiling it in a guide or something?
That looks like something I'd use whenever I end up playing this.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #593 on: November 19, 2013, 12:32:27 AM »

Have you ever thought of taking all that character info you write on birthdays and compiling it in a guide or something?
That looks like something I'd use whenever I end up playing this.

I could give you my notes, although they mostly use the pretranslated names instead of the official ones, (and there's probably a couple of errors in there as well plus a bunch of redundant information like growth rates and such). Although if you want to, I am open to going back through and cleaning up my previous posts and putting them up into some kind of document or guide (I know that they tend to be on the long side and that early on I wasn't really mentioning about stat cap modifiers and such plus if they're all in one place I'll have to cut out a lot of the redundant information). Either way, I'm tempted to wait until after hitting up all the characters.

Anyways, today is the Velveteen Bunny's birthday.

The three things Panne has going for her is that she's tied for the highest Speed and Skill stat modifiers with Sumia and a bunch of the ladies including Sumia respectfully plus the second highest stat modifier total of all 1st gen females of +4 (being beaten by Nowi and her +5), she's one of the two non-Avatar/Morgan characters in the game to start with the Thief/Wyvern Rider class combination (the other being Lon'qu), and she's a Taguel.

For modifier maximization, pairing Panne with Lon'qu will sire a Yarne with the highest Skill and Speed stat modifiers possible for a second gen character (namely because Lon'qu can't get it on with Sumia) outside of pairing with the Avatar with a specialty in one of those stats (although even then the Avatar cannot surpass both at the same time, thus only providing equal value at a different distribution of those two stats; provided the flaw taken doesn't impact either stat). Thus when a female Avatar breeds with Yarne with either stat taken as a strength, the resulting Morgan will have either the highest Skill or Speed possible of either 58/55 or 56/57 respectfully (and this is before Limit Break or any other stat boosting skills). Of course, if paired with either Vaike or Gregor, Panne can produce a Yarne who can sire a Morgan with the lowest possible Resistance cap in the game of -6 (and as either a Barbarian, Thief, or Wyvern Rider Morgan will have a Res cap of only 14; although the Resistance +10 skill Dread Fighter learns can fix this as well as Limit Break). Alternative pairings involve Virion, Stahl, and Ricken, each of whom provide a full set of 9 classes to her son Yarne.

For skills and class trees, Panne's combination of Thief and Wyvern Rider class trees provide a rather rare and useful combination of mobility and avoid boosting skills with Movement +1 and Deliverer skills for +3 move (and since there are two pairs of boots in the game that +3 move could look a lot better as a +5 move) as well as Lucky Seven and Quick Start for a massive +28-35 avoid boost at the start of fights (Lon'qu is the only other non-Avatar/Morgan character in the game who starts with this combination as well as Myrmidon for the Avoid+10 skill; I say starts as you can engineer children to sport this combination as well). She also obtains Sword and more importantly Lancebreaker to cover her biggest weakness, her persistent Beast type classification (making Beast Killers a constant threat to her). And speaking of problems, the Taguel class is more of a double-edged sword compared to most classes. On the one hand, it's high base Speed and the bonuses from either variety of transformation stone make doubling not an issue and Beastbane is a constantly useful skill, especially during the Valm subcontinent chapters. On the other, Even Biorhythm is a poor bunny's Avoid+10 skill, Beastbane only works as a Taguel, and the Taguel class isn't nearly as good as the Manakete class with it's 1-2 range attack and greater emphasis on Strength and Defense. Meanwhile the benefit for reclassing Panne is to get skills that aren't limited to one class and to have better base stats and stat caps (as both Taguel and Manakete's base stats and stat caps pale in comparison to other classes), thus reclassing her will have an effect similar to reclassing Donnel out of Villager (actually most unique classes tend to suck compared to promoted classes, they either have low bases and caps or no skills that function outside of said class, if any at all).

The tl;dr is that Panne is a fairly solid combatant and can eventually turn into an excellent dodge tank and ferry for other characters if you decide to reclass her. If not, she'll make for some excellent anti-cavalry. Either way, her son is going to be highly accurate and have some lickety speed on him.

Edit: Well damn. That almost worked. Bravo IntSys for thinking of that contingency too. Looks like another birthday has ended. Too bad not every day can be like this.

(To explain: I decided to put off on cashing in on one of my files' birthday until I could get to it later since I was busy at the time, namely with writing this post, so I entered the Barracks and made sure that the B-Day icon appeared on the screen then closed my 3DS and walked away, and after finally returning to it, Panne walked onto the screen then both her and the B-Day icon disappeared with a loss jingle playing and a pop-up message which I quoted in italicizes above, I'd be pissed if it weren't such a clever and obscure feature.)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 03:24:53 AM by Aeolus » Logged

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #594 on: November 24, 2013, 04:24:15 AM »

Wow ACC missed a B-day as well. And speaking of, today's Sumia's Birthday.

So Sumia, your first Peg Knight and flier and almost firmly locked into the Ceada archetype (except for that Knight reclass option). If you're playing on Normal she'd be the one to introduce you to the Pair Up mechanic. Availability-wise she's solid from chapter 3 onward. Class-wise Pegasus Knight is a really good set to have for Lancefaire, Galeforce, and Speed +2 for that extra oomph in doubling. Meanwhile the Knight class tree goes a long way in fixing Sumia's biggest problem, her crappy Str and Def, with Luna, Dual Guard+, and Pavise access. And Cleric access gives her extra healing power from her Staffs, extra magic power from Tomefaire, and extra longevity with Renewal (which supplants her earlier Refresh). She can also make for a great Rallybot with a combination of Rallies Movement, Speed, Defense, Magic, and either Luck or Love. Gameplay-wise, her best bet is to take her up Dark Flier first for early Galeforce then either follow it up with Falcon Knight for a flying healbot and Lancefaire, Great Knight for Luna and better Strength and Defense growth, or Sage to continue building that Magic and starting on that Staff rank. And stat cap modifier-wise, she sports the standard total of +2 that many 1st genners have, but she has the same Speed and Skill modifiers as Panne, the highest of the first gen females not named Avatar, but it comes at great expense to her Strength and Defense stats (although not as badly as Maribelle's Str and Def). Either way though, Sumia cannot pair with Lon'qu meaning that there are no interesting eugenic options for Morgan from her stat-wise.

In fact, her only options are the elusive Chrom, Frederick, Gaius, Henry, and a male Avatar as she serves as Chrom's counterbalance in terms of pairing options for her gender. Preference-wise, her first choice be the Avatar, but everybody wants into his/her pants and Sumia doesn't really bring that much to the table compared to other options (outside of two kids with the Avatar's massive class set) plus the Avatar might not even be the right gender, so barring that her first proper choice is also her last choice, Henry, due to both his access to Dark Mage and both Valkyrie and Thief being decent backups with good skills as well as offering Cynthia a solid 8 classes plus a little something from his Barbarian class tree. Second would be Chrom who would have her as his first choice assuming The Avatar is elsewhere or male, namely because Aether is just that good of a skill and Lucina would be able to get onto the Galeforce (although both children will have sad Defense modifiers). Third is Frederick as his Wyvern Rider class tree and Paladin access is solid and gives her the Aegis/Pavise combo along with Lance and Swordbreaker skills as well as a +2 modifier total added to Cynthia's modifiers. And finally is Gaius who's Myrmidon and Thief class trees provide a solid offensive boost with Swordfaire, Astra, and Lucky Seven access plus an extra skill from either his Fighter class tree, including Hero's Sol or Axebreaker. The reason for my choice in this close race isn't because of what the father offers the child but whether there's a greater demand for them elsewhere, which in Gaius' case, there is with Tharja and Nowi.

The tl;dr is that Sumia can wear many hats due to her diverse class set and solid Speed and Skill modifiers, but her pairing options are ridiculously narrow and she's the most liable to wind up as an old maid, since unlike Chrom, there's no random maiden to shotgun a wedding with.

AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #595 on: November 24, 2013, 02:41:56 PM »

What? I didn't miss Sumia's birthday.

She got a...Rift Door, and then a Superior Lance.

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #596 on: November 25, 2013, 12:59:24 AM »

What? I didn't miss Sumia's birthday.

She got a...Rift Door, and then a Superior Lance.

Sorry, I got so used to seeing your posts after mine I forgot to check to see if you had mentioned Panne or not.

AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #597 on: December 03, 2013, 01:25:57 PM »

If you haven't gotten Awakening yet, Best Buy is selling it at $15.

FIFTEEN BUCKS, PEOPLE.

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #598 on: December 03, 2013, 09:38:17 PM »

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #599 on: December 03, 2013, 10:02:56 PM »

I debated posting that in the R&APics thread when I saw that this morning.

Meanwhile, in another crossover...

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/12/03/fire-emblem-x-monster-hunter-collaboration-wii-u/

Too bad its only Chrom and Lucina (but at least I could see Chrom running around chopping monsters up then chilling by a campfire feasting on whatever; still needs more Frederick though). Either way, something artful should come out of this soon enough.

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 44 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: