Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 05:16:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335244 Posts in 13726 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Fire Emblem 3DS
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 Print
Author Topic: Fire Emblem 3DS  (Read 73297 times)
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #615 on: January 27, 2014, 12:37:02 PM »

Is Gregor's birthday!

He gets Tiki's Tear and burned Dying Blaze tome.

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #616 on: January 27, 2014, 04:51:13 PM »

Is Gregor's birthday yeah. Is swell day for swell sword.

Anyways, the biggest thing Gregor has going for him is being the only first genner defaulting in the Mercenary class which means instant access to Armsthrift (and given his level, Patience). This means he doesn't have to reclass down to pick it up later like other characters with Mercenary access (although this only really applies to Priam, Cordelia, and The Avatar as Donnel will probably want to bail into Merc ASAP and Flavia already starts as a Hero with both Merc skills). His other classes include the Myrmidon and Barbarian class trees which means that he can end up with both Sword and Axefaire which are his two predominate weapon types, Sol, Astra, Wrath (for all the good this is worth), Vantage (to go with Wrath and Patience), Despoil (to further cut expenses for fielding Gregor), Gamble, Lethality (even if enemies make better use of it), Counter (see: Lethality), Avoid +10, and Axebreaker (not that he needs this because of Sword access but its nice to have while a Barbarian/Berserker).

As for his genetics, if you want the most screwed over child in the game, pair him with Olivia for an Inigo with only the Mercenary, Myrmidon, and Barbarian class trees and whatever his mother decided to pass down to him (if you really don't like Inigo, have her pass down Special Dance or Lancefaire, both of which are entirely useless skills to him). Not only that, but Gregor's emphasis on Strength and Skill, and lesser emphasis on Defense only kinda, sorta addresses Olivia's lack of anything beyond a small amount of Skill and Speed and hit to Defense, but his bottomed out Resistance and overall +1 stat cap modifier total don't play well with Olivia's hit to Resistance and non existent stat cap modifier total. Incidentally, Gregor seems like he'd make for a good fit for his charge in his introductory stage, Nowi, given her massive +5 total stat cap modifier total, solid Strength, Defense, and Resistance cap modifiers, and Wyvern Knight class tree to go with his Bowbreaker (plus Nah will probably appreciate Armsthrift, Astra, and the Hero class in general). Alternatively, Brady, Noire, and Kjelle all have at least some interest in Gregor's genes even if his inheritance clashes with Maribelle's (although the Cavalier tree would appreciate the gesture), doesn't really stack up as well as Gaius's does (even Myrmidon access can't compete with Peg Knight access), or Donnel's (again no Pegasus Knight access, with only slightly better Strength and Speed caps, much better Skill cap, and a far worse Luck cap and slightly worse Resistance cap in exchange). And again, much like The Vaike, pairing Gregor with either Cherche or Panne, then pairing the resulting child with a The Avatar with the lowest possible Resistance total will produce a Morgan with a Resistance cap modifier of -6).

The tl;dr is that Gregor will make for a solid replacement for another infantry unit, but his place at the table may get swiped by Donnel if he gets going before you get Gregor. His parenting options though aren't as swift though, and generally speaking, there will usually be a better choice available, though he makes for a good rebound for a daughter who misses out on either Donnel's or Gaius's Pegasus Knight inheritance.

Also, since we're coming up on the one year anniversary of the game's NA release (or are about to pass it if you're a filthy cannook ), I've double checked my previous posts and noticed that I didn't start writing these write ups until Maribelle's back in the middle of April '012 (and that was hilariously brief), so I'll probably continue unless something happens in the next couple of days.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #617 on: February 10, 2014, 01:39:17 AM »

Yesterday was the walking Tellus reference Priam's B-day.

Anyways, Priam's most notable for being the very last post game character you get in the game. Moreover his stage is the highest challenge the game can put out without DLC (not even the final story chapter is as difficult). That said, he's very much like the rest of the post game characters in that he's nothing too thrilling compared to your regular characters, but he does have a couple of neat things going for him. First is his access to Mercenary, Myrmidon, and Fighter class trees. Mercenary and Myrmidon are solid class trees to have access to with Sol, Axebreaker, Bowbreaker, Armsthrift, Patience, Avoid +10, Vantage, Astra, and Swordfaire. What's interesting though is his free Luna skill which is the most important skill from Great Knight. The free Sword and Lancebreaker skills only means he doesn't have to bother with the Wyvern Rider class tree, but honestly, he would've been better off with Wyvern Rider over Fighter which is practically useless to him due to Hero overlap with Mercenary and Zeal being the only skill that isn't nigh on to worthless. His stat cap modifiers, like every other post game characters' stat cap mods, total to the average +2 with Priam's emphasis being placed on Strength and Defense with massive hits to Magic and Resistance (tying for worst in gen 1). And of course, like with every other post game character, he can only be supported by the Avatar and possibly his son Morgan.

Basically, outside of bragging rights, Priam's only got nearly capped promoted stats in his strong areas, five high end skills for free (i.e. to get where he is when you recruit him, you'd have to take someone up through Hero, Wyvern Lord, Griffin Rider, and up to level 5 Great Knight as well as at least one prepromoted class), and Ragnell plus a free Tomahawk going for him (at least Ragnell's one of the better swords given its 1-2 range, Strength based damage, Defense buff, and not being locked to only the Swordmaster class).

AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #618 on: February 10, 2014, 01:42:33 AM »

Today's Priam's birthday!

He got a Slack Bow. He is insulted.

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #619 on: February 12, 2014, 11:49:02 AM »

Today is Miriel's day of birth.

She has obtained a lackluster Slack Bow, but then she acquired Tiki's Tear.

Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #620 on: February 13, 2014, 01:33:35 AM »

Indubitable consternations! It's Miriel's B-Day already. Such expedience.

Anyways, Miriel is your typical Mage's Mage. High Magic modifier (tying with Tharja and losing to
Code:
Emmeryn
) with a large hit to her Defense (though not as large as Maribelle's) and a small boost to Skill and Speed. As one of the two straight Magus you get in the game, she's straight up the better of the two due to her earlier and much less painful join time, higher emphasis on Magic and Speed growths instead of Strength and Defense, and has a much better class tree set than mister "All my other classes are physical based and one not only sucks but can't use my superior Magic stat". Even without Dark Mage, Troubadour alone is almost enough to rival a Mage with Great Knight access (seriously, Great Knight's Magic cap is hot garbage, no magic user wants that fucker since they'll be limited to their shoddy at best Strength stat).

Anyways, Miriel's best pairing would incidentally be with Ricken since she's unable to confer membership to the Galeforce to her son either way, thus Luna and the highest non Morgan/Avatar Magic stat cap modifier are good picks for Laurent (which a Female the Avatar can use to make a Morgan with the highest possible Magic stat cap modifier of +10). Runner-ups would be Stahl for his +3 overall stat cap modifier total to go with Miriel's +3 overall stat cap modifier total along with Luna, full 9 class inheritance, and higher physical stats to give Laurent something for his Barbarian class tree to run off of, Kellam for access to Priest and Thief for access to every magic using class outside of Tactician/Grandmaster available to males (and more Luna access), and Gaius to improve Laurent's Speed stat instead of trying to compensate for Miriel's lackluster Strength and negative Defense scores.

The long and short of it is that Miriel is a fairly solid if typical Mage and will probably want to end as either a Sorcerer or a Sage to make full use of her magical talents.

Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #621 on: February 22, 2014, 04:47:50 AM »

♪He can cry if he wants to, cry if he wants to, cry if he wants to, be~cause its Brady's Birthday.♪

Anyways, if there's any child character that can be classified as a pure magic user type out of all the 2nd genners (which is no small feat given how many mothers are magically inclined), it would have to be Brady. For starters, his mother Maribelle is tied in having the best Luck and Resistance stat cap modifiers of any gen 1er not referred to as The Avatar and a solid Magic cap as well, but pays for it dearly with the worst possible modifiers for any 1st genner (including The Avatar) in both Strength and Defense. The problem stems from the fact that there really isn't a way to completely fix such massive negatives in such crucial stats with any 1st genner outside of either Stahl (+ inheritance will bring his physical stat cap mods up to 0) or The Avatar with an emphasis on either Strength or Defense and a penalty on either Magic, Speed, or Resistance (one stat will have a +2 in it and the other will be unmodified). Now if Brady had been female, this wouldn't necessarily have been a problem since the female exclusive classes are either magic based or a hybrid, thus expanding his choices, but he's a male and limited to the classes that can be used by either gender. As it is though, his only choices for magic using classes are the Mage, Dark Mage, Priest, Thief (Tricksters can use Staffs), Tactician class trees (and maybe the Myrmidon class tree since it and Swordmaster have higher than average Magic caps, although Brady will probably run off of Levin Swords only which are hard to come by until the end of the postgame chapters) and Dread Fighter (if DLC is an option). And unless Brady is The Avatar's son, the Tactician option is immediately out (and same with Dread Fighter if DLC isn't an option either). On top of that he already defaults in the Priest class and has access to the Mage and Cavalier class trees so the only class trees he's interested in inheriting at all are the Dark Mage and Thief lines. That means that Brady's highest priority for a father will be someone who can pass on those two classes, and it just so happens that Henry is perfect for the job (especially since Henry also sports the second highest 1st genner, non-The Avatar, Magic stat cap modifier, behind Ricken). Seriously, even moreso than Gaius is tailored to Noire, or Donnel is tailored to Kjelle, Henry is the one father who's perfect for Brady. Hell, the only class overlap Henry will have with Brady is in Dark Knight. His alternative options would be Donnel (to maximize his Luck cap modifier for an Armsthrift that needs no Limit Breaker to run perfectly and a Morgan with the single highest chance to activate Miracle in the game, outside of a Chrom sired Morgan with Rightful King), Gaius (for Thief/Myrmidon access and possibly Counter since his damage output is going to suck anyways), and Ricken (to maximize his Magic cap modifier for a Morgan with the absolute highest possible Magic based damage output in the game; and possibly the lowest possible Strength cap modifier if The Avatar takes Strength as her penalty). He can also help you sire a Morgan with the highest possible Resistance cap modifier in the game if Brady's father is Libra (and Brady will at least get Dark Mage out of the deal, so it won't be a total wash), as well as the lowest Defense cap modifier in the game if Brady is sired by either Virion or Lon'qu.

As for skill set up, Brady will hopefully be mothered into the Galeforce, he's guaranteed Tomefaire, Luna, and Aegis, and he can get the all important Aggressor from Dread Fighter (again provided that DLC is an option). With Henry as a father, Brady will have access to Gamble (higher crit rates), Tomebreaker (not particularly useful since fellow magic users will likely have high Resistance), Lucky Seven (for added survivability), Movement +1 (always nice), and Vengeance (stack with Wrath, Miracle, and either Anathema or possibly Counter for comeback hilarity; although the lack of Vantage will make this a one shot wonder).

Basically, Brady IS your goto magic guy for the second gen outside of a Morgan specifically specced to emphasize magic. Of course, this comes with all the usual drawbacks of being a pure mage in the form of being a glass cannon (although the Sorcerer class is no slouch in the Defense department and his growth rate in Defense is higher than his mother's) and being fairly useless against magic users and other high Resistance classes (although Luna will help a lot), but his lopsided nature also makes him a necessary step for building many of the specialized Morgans.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #622 on: February 22, 2014, 04:52:25 AM »

Man, i bet if I told you guys who I paired up with who you would have meltdowns over how inefficient the children are.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #623 on: February 22, 2014, 06:18:06 AM »

Man, i bet if I told you guys who I paired up with who you would have meltdowns over how inefficient the children are.

It's not as big of a deal I tend to write it out to be. Mostly because the kids will always end up better than their parents in the long run due to how inheritance works, and partly because stuffs like stat cap modifiers don't really change a hell of a lot in this game in particular due to how absurdly high stat caps of promoted classes are (if this were a GBA era game or worse, a pre Gamecube era console game, then the impact of stat cap modifiers would mean a hell of a lot more where a high stat would cap out at 30 (or 20 in FEs 1, 3, and 5) instead of 50 (before Limit Breaker which can push a stat up to 60 before cap mods)). At the very best, you can swing a stat cap up to +11 of a class's natural cap or down to -7 (and there's anywhere from 11 to 20 points between the class with the highest cap in a stat and the class with the lowest; not counting the Great Knight's Magic or either the Dancer or Villager).

The tl;dr of inheritance is that kids will pick up access to classes and skills based upon their parents' available classes and skills (give or take gender exclusive stuffs), plus one skill from both parents for free (leading to silliness like Brady inheriting Secluded Lady), in addition to the sum of their stat caps modifiers plus 1 to every stat (although a third gen Morgan does not benefit from this a second time), and the average of their parents' and their own preset growth rates (which is why growth rates are a non-factor for breeding purposes).

And the tl;dr of the above tl;dr is that unless you're planning to doof around with the challenge DLC (and maybe the highest levels of Double Duel), none of this matters at all due to the ease of the game in general.

Assassin Edit: Alternatively; try me...

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #624 on: February 22, 2014, 06:26:29 AM »

Libra x Maribelle.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #625 on: February 22, 2014, 10:27:25 AM »

Today's Brady's birthday!

Fittingly, he got a Katarina's Bolt.

Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #626 on: February 22, 2014, 02:29:52 PM »

Libra x Maribelle.

Not going to laugh. There really aren't a lot of good choices for Libra to pick. Mostly due to the abundant number of magic heavy mothers and the fact that the most magically inclined children are sons who have only four or five magic using classes at most to pick from (Mage, Dark Mage, Priest, Trickster, Tactician, and Dread Fighter). He can fill in a gap or two for most sons, but he can only provide his full seven classes (he cannot pass on the full nine due to class overlap between Mage and Dark Mage's Dark Knight, and Priest and Mage's Sage; and when you think about it, the only thing Mage is really doing in a situation like that is providing the Mage's class skills, Magic+2 and Focus, neither of which are that good) to Yarne (has Thief access), Inigo, and Kjelle (have no magic based classes at all).

Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #627 on: February 28, 2014, 05:52:53 PM »

*Yawn* Today's apparently Tiki's Birthday.

Anyways, Tiki, out of all of the non breeding 1st genners, she's probably the most flexible with up to six support partners (even though all of them ladies outside of a Male Avatar). Anyways compared to Nowi, she trades off Strength and massive Defense for Skill, not garbage Speed, and Luck modifiers and ties for a total +5 to her stat cap modifier sum total. Outside of this, the aforementioned support list with only one possible S-rank match, no child of her own, a much later join time, and slightly different growth rates, she's literally identical to Nowi (which is kinda disappointing for the last born member of the Divine Dragon tribe).

Her class access is Manakete, the Wyvern Rider class tree, and the Mage class tree, with the Wyvern Rider tree having some useful abilities like Deliverer, Quick Burn, Sword/Lancebreaker, and Strength +2. You might as well keep her as a Manakete since she'll have 1-2 range, Dragon effectiveness, and gains experience like an unpromoted unit.

The tl;dr is that if you want a Manakete Morgan with not terrible Speed (or for this other reason), go with Tiki. Otherwise, Nowi's the more interesting choice (statistically speaking).

AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #628 on: February 28, 2014, 09:23:52 PM »

Today's Tiki's millennial birthday!

She got a Miniature Lance.

Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #629 on: March 06, 2014, 01:39:44 AM »

*pfft* A bug flew into my mouth. Where was I? Oh right. ♪Lissa, it's your birthday. Happy Birthday Lissa. Lissa, it's your birthday. Happy Birthday Lissa.♪

Anyways, Lissa. Your first healer. Probably your best one too due to all that extra staff training time over Maribelle, Brady, and possibly Anna. Anyways, Lissa's highest stat cap modifiers are in Magic, Luck, and Resistance, with hits everywhere else but Speed, an overall cap modifier total of +1, and tied for the worst Skill stat cap modifier out of the 1st genners (with exception to an appropriately stat distributed The Avatar), which are all things that don't really help Myrmidon Owain all that much at all.

What does help him is Lissa's access to the Pegasus Knight class tree for membership onto the Galeforce (which she can mother Owain in with). Other classes involve her default Cleric class tree and the Troubadour class tree, leaving Pegasus Knight and Dark Flier as the only classes she cannot use a staff in. Outside of Galeforce, Lissa's best skills are Dual Support+, Renewal, Tomefaire, Miracle, Healtouch, and five different Rallies, including Rally Speed and Rally Movement.

Her best pairing options are with either Virion/Ricken (Mage access for Owain to make use of Lissa's high Magic modifier, plus some useful combat oriented classes, and in Ricken's case, an even higher Magic stat cap modifier for Owain to Levin Sword it up), or Frederick/Stahl (a bunch of physical stat cap modifiers to shore up Owain's physical game).

The tl;dr is that Chrom's sister will probably be your default staffbot, regardless of whether she becomes a Sage or an Axe Cleric, and she will level FAST once Recover and Physic staffs become available due to near constant staff access.

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: