Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2014, 07:42:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331512 Posts in 13574 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Bravely Default: Flying Fairy
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 71 Print
Author Topic: Bravely Default: Flying Fairy  (Read 92774 times)
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: April 04, 2013, 09:06:05 AM »

If this happens to be true I hope they don't release it the same day of SMT IV (or GTAV).
If this game is good, which it seems to be, I hope it surpasses expectation of sales (however ridiculous SE have them nowadays) just so they can see it doesn't have to have a Final Fantasy name on every game they release on the West.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: April 04, 2013, 12:24:50 PM »

Same here. The moment it's announced, I'm going to preorder whatever super giga megma assault battery rapid wizard's companion ultra uber sentinel N7 dragon edition they have.

Meanwhile, that swank FE 3DS I got in February will be seeing a lot of mileage this year (regardless as to whether this pans out or not).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: April 04, 2013, 03:14:32 PM »

Well this was a pleasant pseudo-announcement to wake up to today!

This is, without a doubt, a good time to be a 3DS owner.... now if I can just conquer my aversion to handhelds.

I have been trying to polish off just one 3ds title, but for some reason I just can't commit to handhelds. My completion rate for console games is great (in the last 4-5 years I can count the games I didn't finish on one hand) but geeeee golly do I have a difficult time with my 3ds.

If the SMT titles and bravely default don't compel me enough to finish and break me of this handheld-problem I don't think anything will.

I can't believe no one else has trouble staying dedicated to handheld titles. I REALLY love my games, probably to an unhealthy degree, but I truly have difficulties in this regard! Worst part about it is, with so many stellar titles for the DS and 3ds, my shelf is quickly filling with stuff I haven't even opened yet (all the dragon quests immediately come to mind).

This is one demon in need to exorcise so to speak... if bravely default gets localized and I still have this problem I think something terrible may happen to my psyche...

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: April 04, 2013, 04:01:38 PM »

You're not alone there, Klyde.  I've never been crazy about gaming on handhelds.  My PSP and DS libraries are filled with unfinished games.  I think it's the ergonomics (or lack thereof) that really gets to me.  Leaning over and squinting at some tiny screen for long sessions is not comfortable, and these systems don't exactly feel good in your hands either.

But oddly enough I don't have any aversion to gaming on my Vita.  I seriously love the thing.  I dismissed that as new gadget syndrome at first, but it's been quite a while and I still feel that way.  Must be that big, beautiful screen I guess.  In a lot of ways I prefer it to console gaming since it's much faster to get into the games.  (Instead of having to turn on my TV and sound system, boot up the console, select a game and go through all the loading screens and stuff everytime...)  Now if only it had more games...well, I still play PSP games on it and there are a ton of those.

I haven't gotten a 3DS yet, but I've tried one before and wasn't impressed.  Ergonomically it's pretty much just the same as the DS, and the 3D affect gives me headaches.  Can't deny that the library is looking pretty impressive, though...

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 04, 2013, 04:13:43 PM »

If screensize is the issue (does sound like it for you Kevadu, but no idea which 3DS you used) stick with the XL model, and check out grips for ergonomics. I never cared enough to get grips, but combining those large screens and grips might just make the difference between "unplayable" and "this is pretty nice", especially if you don't force yourself to use 3D when you don't like it.

Also: the XL's 3D screen is about the same size as the Vita's. Will make the large pixels more obvious, but it does seem like if one's fine then the other should be size-wise.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: April 04, 2013, 04:21:51 PM »

Glad they're finally getting around to it.

I find it kind of humorous that of all my anticipated video games that are going to be released in the next few months are all for the 3DS.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: April 04, 2013, 05:07:10 PM »

If screensize is the issue (does sound like it for you Kevadu, but no idea which 3DS you used) stick with the XL model, and check out grips for ergonomics. I never cared enough to get grips, but combining those large screens and grips might just make the difference between "unplayable" and "this is pretty nice", especially if you don't force yourself to use 3D when you don't like it.

Also: the XL's 3D screen is about the same size as the Vita's. Will make the large pixels more obvious, but it does seem like if one's fine then the other should be size-wise.

Well, screen size is an issue, certainly, but it's not the only issue.  What I love about the Vita's screen isn't just the size, or even the resolution, but the brightness, color saturation, excellent viewing angles, and general readability in different lighting conditions.  It's just a really nice screen all-around.  Didn't get that impression from the 3DS screen, and though I admit I haven't tried an XL yet but I don't think the underlying tech is any different.

That said, if I do get a 3DS it will probably be an XL...

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 04, 2013, 05:43:00 PM »

Yeah, you'd probably need to flip the 3D off to at least get close to the viewing angle advantage, and admittedly the IQ IS lower beyond just the resolution difference. Almost makes me wish I could get some sort of OLED 3D screens put in instead, or at least higher quality LCDs.

But I figure JUST for discomfort viewing angles and screen size are the biggest non-ergonomic obstacles, and the XL's covered those so long as you flip 3D off, and grips can likely address ergonimic problems. And if you're not really digging the 3D there's not too much reason to leae it on anyway, not at full blast at least.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 04, 2013, 06:16:12 PM »

Hope it's for real and not affected by the recent upheaval at SE. It'd figure if after a few years they're set to FINALLY release another traditional RPG like I used to rely on them for... only for it to be swept away because Wada bet poorly on XIV and Eidos.

Pretty sure Eidos has been a fair bit more profitable than FFXIV for them... :P

Will be getting this if this is accurate. I need something for my 3DS that's not MegaTen. or FE. Or Virtue's Last Reward.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: April 04, 2013, 09:48:39 PM »

Hope it's for real and not affected by the recent upheaval at SE. It'd figure if after a few years they're set to FINALLY release another traditional RPG like I used to rely on them for... only for it to be swept away because Wada bet poorly on XIV and Eidos.

Try telling that to Squeenix's upper management. :(

Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #250 on: April 04, 2013, 10:44:27 PM »

If there is one thing I've been loving since I gave handhelds a proper chance was that I can really play anywhere. Especially in the end of the day, you're laying down on your bed. Just recently I can't believe how long I stayed up at night some days playing Persona 4 The Golden, and this week with Etrian Odyssey IV.

insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #251 on: April 04, 2013, 11:07:23 PM »

big, beautiful screen

Does the PSV require much touch screen use?
I've tried playing with it at retail displays and it seems like the only way to choose a game is to use the touch screen, and without a stylus I think it would have fingerprints too easily and need cleaning.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 04, 2013, 11:18:22 PM »

It's probably not either or anyway. Eidos was an investment they hoped they'd get money back, but thus far have just been losing it, albeit probably not at too great a pace, and could probably be remedied just by figuring out how to lower budgets but keep sales consistent.

FFXIV, meanwhile, is the fucking Titantic. Even Spirits Within has nothing on that from how it sounds.
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #253 on: April 05, 2013, 11:04:43 AM »

It's probably not either or anyway. Eidos was an investment they hoped they'd get money back, but thus far have just been losing it, albeit probably not at too great a pace, and could probably be remedied just by figuring out how to lower budgets but keep sales consistent.

FFXIV, meanwhile, is the fucking Titantic. Even Spirits Within has nothing on that from how it sounds.

True, but the difference between the two is that SW nearly wiped out Squaresoft wholesale which forced them to whore sell out to Enix to survive, meanwhile Squeenix is still a publishing juggernaut that can fall back on its anime and manga sales no matter how cataclysmal the failure they make elsewhere might be.

I suppose my point here is that if Squeenix were to make a movie like FF:SW like Squaresoft did back in the day with comparable box office results and everything, I'd bet you dimes to donuts that the Squeenix of today would be trying to salvage that shit like mad, trying to crank out sequels that retcon the first movie while being even more bland and lifeless than before, or try to sweep the original movie under the rug with a special release that's redirected/re-edited but still uses all the same assets and performances as before, all while trying to tie the movie and its characters into crossover projects and everything to create a false sense of compatibility with older and far more successful endeavors.

It seems to me that the one enemy greater than Squeenix's own hubris is their own stubbornness.

Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: April 17, 2013, 01:54:15 PM »

Peeeeerrrrrty cool stuff right here!!

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/04/17/bravely-default-flying-fairy-has-an-english-subtitled-trailer/

Looks like Europe gets er' first and it is being published by Nintendo.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 71 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: