Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 02:13:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332739 Posts in 13633 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Bravely Default: Flying Fairy
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 71 Print
Author Topic: Bravely Default: Flying Fairy  (Read 94917 times)
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #330 on: October 09, 2013, 07:06:26 PM »

That's... messed up. It's not even extra content, it's just a way to rip customers off. This is insulting. I've been trying to forgive Square Enix's recent actions in regard to microtranscations, but I'm done. No respect left for them.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #331 on: October 09, 2013, 07:25:47 PM »

I'm gonna play devil's advocate here because ___.

1)  First off, this isn't mandatory, but a perk.  It's completely optional and the game can be played without it
2)  This might be a good feature for people who are either (a) Not good at RPGs (perhaps they're too young or whatever; FFIV was a bitch for me as a kid), or (b) Don't have time to grind because grinding is serious f***ing annoying and tedious, so getting something to help the game along is stupendous (I actually use a Game Genie thing often for stuff like max money --- I hate dealing with lack of funds in a game, usually it's not even a matter of game skill that you have none)
3)  If they're willing to offer it and people are willing to pay for it, that's their own prerogative.
4)  Again, it's optional.  This is a small thing; I'm more pissed when "extra dungeons" and *real* content is withheld for a decent dime.
5)  Who cares?  Just glaze over it and be happy that, given the very warm reception this game has had in Japan, we're getting the "super edition" and trademarks for a 2nd and 3rd game are up (apparently?)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 08:31:38 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #332 on: October 09, 2013, 08:00:23 PM »

The big problem is that once you start adding 'optional' features like this there's suddenly a huge incentive to S-E to balance the game in such a way that it doesn't feel so optional (at least not unless you want to waste a huge amount of RL time grinding...).  And I don't trust S-E enough to believe they'll practice self-restraint in that respect.

Now that might not be the case here since it's a new version of an old game and they're not necessarily going to go in and rebalance everything.  It's just something I would worry about if this sort of thing starts becoming more common...

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #333 on: October 09, 2013, 08:02:48 PM »

The big problem is that once you start adding 'optional' features like this there's suddenly a huge incentive to S-E to balance the game in such a way that it doesn't feel so optional (at least not unless you want to waste a huge amount of RL time grinding...).  And I don't trust S-E enough to believe they'll practice self-restraint in that respect.

Now that might not be the case here since it's a new version of an old game and they're not necessarily going to go in and rebalance everything.  It's just something I would worry about if this sort of thing starts becoming more common...

I can't say I've ever encountered a game where that happens.  If there are, then my foot goes in my mouth.
I know Tales games have the Gald and level boosters, but Tales games aren't terribly difficult and have a difficulty option to even the odds when shit gets shitty.

FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #334 on: October 09, 2013, 08:28:49 PM »

While I do see where you're coming from, Dice, they could solve the same problems by simply including an easier level of difficulty that doesn't require additional payment to unlock.

I'm more worried about the precedent that is being set by this money-grabbing - and Square are certainly not alone in it.

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #335 on: October 09, 2013, 08:41:45 PM »

While I do see where you're coming from, Dice, they could solve the same problems by simply including an easier level of difficulty that doesn't require additional payment to unlock.

I'm more worried about the precedent that is being set by this money-grabbing - and Square are certainly not alone in it.

*shrug*

Whattaya gunna do?  =/

FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #336 on: October 09, 2013, 08:45:43 PM »

Exactly. :P

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #337 on: October 09, 2013, 08:49:47 PM »

I can't say I've ever encountered a game where that happens.  If there are, then my foot goes in my mouth.

See also; Final Fantasy: All The Bravest.

Dice's Foot == Dice's Mouth.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #338 on: October 09, 2013, 08:52:00 PM »

See also; Final Fantasy: All The Bravest.

Dice's Foot == Dice's Mouth.

That game was panned and forgotten/discarded like a week after its release.  I'm talking a game-game, not crap.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #339 on: October 09, 2013, 09:00:49 PM »

I know Tales games have the Gald and level boosters, but Tales games aren't terribly difficult and have a difficulty option to even the odds when shit gets shitty.

A lot of free-to-play games do that -- for instance, in SMT Imagine, you had to pay to teleport, and you'd want to teleport because walking was REALLY slow -- and it's sort of justified in those cases, because there's no other revenue occurring for those games.

The issue is when you get a single player game you actually paid money for, and now it's balanced to force the player to pay for microtransactions.

And that hasn't happened yet but what's there to stop anyone from doing it? Especially if it becomes the new normal?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #340 on: October 09, 2013, 10:08:18 PM »

It kind of did happen with Dead Space 3's microtransactions.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #341 on: October 10, 2013, 02:46:11 AM »

A lot of free-to-play games do that -- for instance, in SMT Imagine, you had to pay to teleport, and you'd want to teleport because walking was REALLY slow -- and it's sort of justified in those cases, because there's no other revenue occurring for those games.

The issue is when you get a single player game you actually paid money for, and now it's balanced to force the player to pay for microtransactions.

And that hasn't happened yet but what's there to stop anyone from doing it? Especially if it becomes the new normal?

Then its time to bring back the arcades because I ain't playin' that shit without being able to show everybody my high score. Bow before the mighty ASS.

Actually, even arcades were never that bad since you could avoid paying out if you had skill/practice (of course you still had to pay up to get that skill/practice), whereas this seems more like "You need a pickax to proceed to the next area; which you can have for the low low price of $1.99 (plus tax).".

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #342 on: October 10, 2013, 04:55:54 AM »

SP can be accumulated in sleep mode, plus there's no guarantee it'll have enemies that can use it too, so we barely have any information to go on from specifically just this system.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #343 on: October 10, 2013, 04:58:12 AM »

wrt microtransactions: fuck everything :(

So I read the siliconera article and I'm confused.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/10/09/bravely-default-sequel-completion-time-lowered-70-30-hours/

Has the game streamlined itself, do you need these micro transactions to complete the game more quickly or is it both?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #344 on: October 10, 2013, 11:08:07 AM »

wrt microtransactions: fuck everything :(

So I read the siliconera article and I'm confused.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/10/09/bravely-default-sequel-completion-time-lowered-70-30-hours/

Has the game streamlined itself, do you need these micro transactions to complete the game more quickly or is it both?
It mostly has to do with the fact that you can reduce the encounter rate of the game and how faster it can be played. You know, just so you don't get to a needless grindfest.

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 71 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: