I'm gonna play devil's advocate here because ___.
1) First off, this isn't mandatory, but a perk. It's completely optional and the game can be played without it
2) This might be a good feature for people who are either (a) Not good at RPGs (perhaps they're too young or whatever; FFIV was a bitch for me as a kid), or (b) Don't have time to grind because grinding is serious f***ing annoying and tedious, so getting something to help the game along is stupendous (I actually use a Game Genie thing often for stuff like max money --- I hate dealing with lack of funds in a game, usually it's not even a matter of game skill that you have none)
3) If they're willing to offer it and people are willing to pay for it, that's their own prerogative.
4) Again, it's optional. This is a small thing; I'm more pissed when "extra dungeons" and *real* content is withheld for a decent dime.
5) Who cares? Just glaze over it and be happy that, given the very warm reception this game has had in Japan, we're getting the "super edition" and trademarks for a 2nd and 3rd game are up (apparently?)