Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2014, 04:41:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331990 Posts in 13599 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Bravely Default: Flying Fairy
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 71 Print
Author Topic: Bravely Default: Flying Fairy  (Read 93986 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #495 on: January 04, 2014, 02:14:12 AM »

People on NeoGAF saying that however that likes the "fanservice" stuff in Bravely Default now is a pedophile because the characters looks (according to quite few over there) like toddlers. That's problably some of the most close-minded comments I've seen on a gaming forum.

That said the censorship does annoy me, specially with how inconsistent it seems to be.

I can understand the need Nintendo has to manipulate content distributed in different regions, but this whole deal with people getting offended/bothered by the "fanservicey" design of the clothes, to me, is *really* dumb in this case.

But hey. Somehow my opinion is always wrong so fuck me I guess.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #496 on: January 04, 2014, 02:33:07 AM »

Eh.  I feel such risqué designs serve no purpose... Of course the majority of the time I'm not the "target audience" of fan service.

I dunno.... With respect to Nintendo's interests, I think they're looking for a broad audience for a new IP, so I see where they're coming from by covering the characters up a little.  The girls aren't being fully-robed in something like a burka, but rather spaghetti string undies are turning into boxer shorts.  We still see like 90% leg.  The designs really don't change too much around with respect to gameplay or any grand narrative.  That, and I'm just kinda sick of such cheap humour.  Making a gag out of how a revealing or not a character dresses is so Anime 101.

...and yeah, something about little people parading around in undies.... it's not really offensive, but just pretty damn silly.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #497 on: January 04, 2014, 10:16:43 AM »

Well, I completely dominated the demo on Hard. I mastered all shortened jobs, hit the level cap (20), obtained all seven rewards, upgraded all village shops, and defeated all bosses.

Putting to sleep hordes of Chompers southwest of the castle to prevent them from "lol I'm running away on first turn" is the fastest way to grind for everything across the board.

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
unsmashable_pumpkin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #498 on: January 04, 2014, 11:19:51 AM »

People on NeoGAF saying that however that likes the "fanservice" stuff in Bravely Default now is a pedophile because the characters looks (according to quite few over there) like toddlers. That's problably some of the most close-minded comments I've seen on a gaming forum.

That kind of accusations are pretty standard fare for fan-service in games with lolis and such, so I'm not surprised (though I don't agree). Personally, I cannot really fathom that anyone would find these chibi-designs titulating. They look cute, but too deformed to really register as human. So to me it's like seeing pikachu in a thong or something. Not particularly sexy, but not offensive, just odd and out of place.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #499 on: January 04, 2014, 12:20:19 PM »

Eh.  I feel such risqué designs serve no purpose...

So to me it's like seeing pikachu in a thong or something. Not particularly sexy, but not offensive, just odd and out of place.

I've seen comments like this before regarding the "fanservicey" costumes and the thing that is clear to me after seeing them, is that Nintendo did the right move to come out and treat their audience like children with content that is not even harmless in the first place.

Even if the censorship is minimal, going all 90's with this kind of censorship on a RPG nowadays is something that I can't really put up with. I'm all for the proper localization of a product, but this lessens the value of a part of the experience for quite a few of people out there and all because there is a group of dense people that like to make a problem out of nothing all for having different sensibilities, and in my book that's not cool at all.
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #500 on: January 04, 2014, 01:10:08 PM »

meanwhile, Senran Kagura Burst, also rated T, censored ages but no character models :P 
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #501 on: January 04, 2014, 01:19:24 PM »

Ages were censored in this, too.  They were raised to 18.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #502 on: January 04, 2014, 02:01:46 PM »

Collage

Bravely Default censored for Western release, Post #1897 / Post #1946
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #503 on: January 04, 2014, 03:45:03 PM »

Thanks for reminding me that I don't like NeoGAF...or really 95% of the internet communities out there. :|

EDIT: Sorry, but I really did find those posts rather depressing to read.

Anyways, I beat the dragon. I think there's more I can do still, but we'll see. I have plenty of reservations with the demo, but most of them come from the fact that it's a demo that exists solely to show off the battle system and Classes. The difficulty spikes way too hard, the best equipment (which you need by the time you get to the tower, is restricted to the Adventure Shop, which thus forces you to go play something else while you wait for the town to build up. I really don't think I could've taken out that dragon without a Mythril Spear, yet no where I did get one outside of the adventure shop), and you have to switch classes a little more frequently than the area really allows for, since nowhere do you get a lot of Ability points outside of those frogs who are a complete pain to take down until the end unless you have multiple maxed-out Black Mages...when I'm at the end of the demo and still getting 5-9 Job Points per battle, it's really frustrating trying to level up these jobs.

But the demo was still fun, and I highly doubt I'll have any of these problems in-game. If nothing else, the demo did its job - the random battles never got dull, and the boss battles were pretty much the best things ever. I can't wait to get this game. Too bad I gotta get the collector's edition from Gamestop...
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 03:54:22 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #504 on: January 04, 2014, 04:11:35 PM »

Anyways, I beat the dragon. I think there's more I can do still, but we'll see. I have plenty of reservations with the demo, but most of them come from the fact that it's a demo that exists solely to show off the battle system and Classes. The difficulty spikes way too hard, the best equipment (which you need by the time you get to the tower, is restricted to the Adventure Shop, which thus forces you to go play something else while you wait for the town to build up. I really don't think I could've taken out that dragon without a Mythril Spear, yet no where I did get one outside of the adventure shop), and you have to switch classes a little more frequently than the area really allows for, since nowhere do you get a lot of Ability points outside of those frogs who are a complete pain to take down until the end unless you have multiple maxed-out Black Mages...when I'm at the end of the demo and still getting 5-9 Job Points per battle, it's really frustrating trying to level up these jobs.
Have Black Mage Lvl. 2 with Sleep on two people, go to the southwest of the castle on the beach area, on first turn spam Sleep with 6 Braves on all Chompers with the fastest party members, eliminate them all one by one while keeping them in their dreams.

Easy 500 money, 240 EXP, and 60 JPs every battle.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 04:13:30 PM by AuraChannelerChris » Logged

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
unsmashable_pumpkin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #505 on: January 04, 2014, 04:47:19 PM »

I've seen comments like this before regarding the "fanservicey" costumes and the thing that is clear to me after seeing them, is that Nintendo did the right move to come out and treat their audience like children with content that is not even harmless in the first place.

Not entierly sure I understand what you are saying here; I'm assuming the double negative is not intended and you find the costumes to be harmless? In which case, we agree.

Even if the censorship is minimal, going all 90's with this kind of censorship on a RPG nowadays is something that I can't really put up with. I'm all for the proper localization of a product, but this lessens the value of a part of the experience for quite a few of people out there and all because there is a group of dense people that like to make a problem out of nothing all for having different sensibilities, and in my book that's not cool at all.

I get that you are against censorship as a matter of principle, which I totally respect. Personally, I just don't feel particularly bothered as long as the alterations are minor/cosmetic. The fact that I thought the censored designs were an improvement aesthetically does not imply that I think censorship was required. I don't get the impression that anyone was campaigning to get this content removed, so putting the blame on people who say they are ok with this seems a bit unfair. As far as I can see this has more to do with Nintendo wanting to maintain its squaky clean kids-friendly image than any pitchfork-waving social-justice campaign.
Apologies if that's not what you were referring to with the section about dense people. I get confused sometimes :P
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #506 on: January 04, 2014, 04:57:29 PM »

Have Black Mage Lvl. 2 with Sleep on two people, go to the southwest of the castle on the beach area, on first turn spam Sleep with 6 Braves on all Chompers with the fastest party members, eliminate them all one by one while keeping them in their dreams.

Waitwaitwaitwait - Sleep actually does something? That's certainly a first.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #507 on: January 04, 2014, 05:02:41 PM »

A good amount of bosses in the game can be affected by status ailments too.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #508 on: January 04, 2014, 05:10:58 PM »

Mhm, I made a point of it in my review. Status ailments matter.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #509 on: January 04, 2014, 05:38:20 PM »

Waitwaitwaitwait - Sleep actually does something? That's certainly a first.
Status effects work nearly all the time on normal enemies in any other RPG. BD is no different.

Except now, bosses can also be affected by certain status effects, but the accuracy rate is low.

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 71 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: