Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 02:42:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319718 Posts in 13046 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Bravely Default: Flying Fairy
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 70 Print
Author Topic: Bravely Default: Flying Fairy  (Read 62720 times)
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #525 on: January 05, 2014, 01:37:48 PM »

Yeah, that is a bit condescending and doesn't particularly help the argument. I don't see what the problem is with being against censorship in general.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #526 on: January 05, 2014, 02:04:58 PM »

What's so inherently bad about censorship that even when it's minimal and cosmetic, it's still automatically bad? That's the part I don't understand. Why can't there be a small but valid acceptable limit to censorship?

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Annubis
Image is from Magical Diary. It's the Deus Ex of VN/Dating sim

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #527 on: January 05, 2014, 02:07:27 PM »

Because, like most things, the moment you allow a bit of it, some will abuse it.
Just think of 'super mario 2'.

Personally, I support both sides in this issue. I think censorship is bad but I can also see that the initial models were pretty tasteless.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 02:09:33 PM by Annubis » Logged
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #528 on: January 05, 2014, 02:26:11 PM »

Because this is something so pointless to censor.  It's clothing.  There's just as much reason to not censor it as there is to censor it. None. Zero. Zilch.

I can see censoring something overly violent and brutal and possibly blatantly sexual, but clothing, even somewhat skimpy clothing?  It's already rated for teenagers and the censoring of ages of characters (this is actually a form of censorship I don't care about at all, despite it being hypocritical of me) already means they aren't minors anymore.  The censorship here is unnecessary no matter how "minimal and cosmetic" it is.  

I wouldn't go as far as to use the slippery slope argument, like Annubis, despite some publishers already going down that path in older forms of literature.

I'm not really one to overreact like those who say they are cancelling their pre-orders, though.  I honestly think this is an argument neither side is going to budge on.  I'm against censorship.  Others are not.  Nothing I say is really going to change anyone's mind.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #529 on: January 05, 2014, 03:20:31 PM »

There's just as much reason to not censor it as there is to censor it. None. Zero. Zilch.

You're wrong.  There's exactly one reason to do that or to avoid it: whether they think they'll make more money if they make this change.  If they think making that change will positively impact sales, they'll make it.  If they think it'll negatively affect sales, they won't.  End of story.

I don't know enough to know if this is the case here, but let's say they feel the Australian censorship boards will refuse to let them sell the game without changing it.  That leaves them choosing whether to localize the game two ways, one for Australia, and one for everyone else, or just to alter the costumes for everybody outside of Japan and save some money.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #530 on: January 05, 2014, 09:34:23 PM »

Because, like most things, the moment you allow a bit of it, some will abuse it.
Just think of 'super mario 2'.

Personally, I support both sides in this issue. I think censorship is bad but I can also see that the initial models were pretty tasteless.

How the fuck was Super Mario 2 censored? They reskinned Doki Doki Panic for brand recognition and didn't release the actual SMB2 here because it kind of sucks a lot.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #531 on: January 05, 2014, 09:42:01 PM »

^Yeah...I was really confused by that. Really threw me off there.

I was gonna have a long and ranty response, but I lost interest after about 10 minutes, and I think Tooker said all that needs to be said on that subject.

Anyways, the Mech Soldier has been kicking my butt pretty hard. I've tried several different party combinations, but nothing's sticking. I might need to just go all Ninjitsu, so everyone is always able to avoid that rocket punch.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #532 on: January 05, 2014, 10:27:23 PM »

And now I have dominated the demo within less time, now sporting 50 villagers! (Though only twenty lucky ones will get promoted to the full version).

It's just so fun fighting the Automaton with Freelancers at Lvl. 20. Two-Handed abilities are nice to have (and possibly breaks the demo even further on actual jobs like Swordsmaster).

Something's off with an egg... ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #533 on: January 05, 2014, 11:03:51 PM »

There's just as much reason to not censor it as there is to censor it. None. Zero. Zilch.

You're wrong.  There's exactly one reason to do that or to avoid it: whether they think they'll make more money if they make this change.  If they think making that change will positively impact sales, they'll make it.  If they think it'll negatively affect sales, they won't.  End of story.

I don't know enough to know if this is the case here, but let's say they feel the Australian censorship boards will refuse to let them sell the game without changing it.  That leaves them choosing whether to localize the game two ways, one for Australia, and one for everyone else, or just to alter the costumes for everybody outside of Japan and save some money.

Definitely this.  It's the studio's (whether Nintendo or the developers) prerogative to make the change.  What the hell can we do by this point?  Money talks, and I'm sure they had "good reason" (ie; whether it was for money, morals, or miscellaneous reasons) to do so.

Again, I'm not carrying a pitchfork around, but I definitely found the original designs a bit tasteless even if I'm not against censorship (but I definitely feel weird about it... I'm an Art History major, so I'm never to sure where to draw the line since the nudity in quite a lot of art throughout the centuries can feel just as pointless sometimes --- BUT IT'S 'ART'!!!!!!  So: Nude or Prude, that is the question. :P ).

EDIT:  Mmm Mmm...dem thighs

EDIT 2x:  I just realized, despite the chubby and somewhat cutesy style for the artwork... the sprites have surprisingly small eyes.  Amen.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 11:19:16 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #534 on: January 05, 2014, 11:25:36 PM »

How the fuck was Super Mario 2 censored? They reskinned Doki Doki Panic for brand recognition and didn't release the actual SMB2 here because it kind of sucks a lot.

I do remember reading something about some parts of Super Mario Bros. 2 being censored. I don't remember the specifics, but then again, probably that whole thing was bullshit (of the game being censored I mean). Who knows.

I'm an Art History major

Oh. :O

So that's why you get all touchy talking about this kind of thing.

...oh well. I'm still against this kind of censorship, though, isn't this situation technically called 'self-censorship'?

#freetheboobies
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #535 on: January 05, 2014, 11:29:15 PM »

So that's why you get all touchy talking about this kind of thing.

Speak for yourself.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #536 on: January 05, 2014, 11:34:17 PM »

Speak for yourself.

Heh. I know you don't like my personality but I didn't mean any harm with my comment.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #537 on: January 05, 2014, 11:49:49 PM »

Speak for yourself.

Heh. I know you don't like my personality but I didn't mean any harm with my comment.

It's not your personality, I just think you're being purposely obnoxious than actually trying to promote or add to discussion.  Me being touchy?  Fine.  But don't sound so proud about a comment like that when you're just as guilty.

Also, sometimes I get the feeling you don't read too well.  I'm torn on the issue of censorship, but I feel like you're seeing me more as a one-sided nag.  The main reason I like the changes is because I like it more aesthetically --- the same way I think skinny jeans look better than bootcut jeans, or the same way I think V-neck shirts are better than Turtlenecks. 

Literally. 

That's it. 

It's me being all girly about fashion.... censorship be damned!

FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #538 on: January 05, 2014, 11:55:28 PM »

I greatly dislike turtlenecks also. That's all I have to add. :)

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #539 on: January 05, 2014, 11:57:25 PM »

Ya'll are crazy. Turtlenecks are awesome.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 70 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: