Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 31, 2014, 04:31:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329992 Posts in 13523 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Bravely Default: Flying Fairy
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 71 Print
Author Topic: Bravely Default: Flying Fairy  (Read 89348 times)
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #690 on: February 11, 2014, 12:24:39 PM »

The Brave/Default mechanic makes some enemies far too powerful. Trying to do the sub-scenario before the Miasma Woods, and those stupid thugs keep doing Brave > Psych Up > Strong Strike to one-shot a party member for anywhere from 1000-2000 damage. Add in the rarity of Phoenix Downs and *still* no Raise spell, and it's just an exercise in frustration. Best part is where Strong Strike only hits about half the time for party monks, for the thugs they don't seem to have any issues hitting their target.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #691 on: February 11, 2014, 01:49:34 PM »

The Brave/Default mechanic makes some enemies far too powerful. Trying to do the sub-scenario before the Miasma Woods, and those stupid thugs keep doing Brave > Psych Up > Strong Strike to one-shot a party member for anywhere from 1000-2000 damage. Add in the rarity of Phoenix Downs and *still* no Raise spell, and it's just an exercise in frustration. Best part is where Strong Strike only hits about half the time for party monks, for the thugs they don't seem to have any issues hitting their target.

I found the lack of funds and items irritating. Add in the strength of enemies and it became infuriating. I decided to stay in a small area, turn on the battles to 100% and steal any compound items from creatures then sell them. The wind temple works great for this. Also night time just outside the city. After upgrading some equipment and Stocking up on a few restorative I had less frustrations.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #692 on: February 11, 2014, 02:04:30 PM »

I was complaining about that area a bit ago.

Basically, the game has some really strange difficulty.  When you finish that area you'll get new weapons and spells and the entire next section will be easy. But you're just underpowered for that section.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #693 on: February 11, 2014, 02:12:10 PM »

Reminds me of FFV where it was this kinda schizo difficulty.

I'm trying to hit 40 peeps!
PM me with FC so I can add you

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #694 on: February 11, 2014, 06:00:31 PM »

I swear to god... Did the writers of the game just make Ringabel a write-off character to beef-up some dialogue? 

Symphonia's Zelos was a "fun pervert" (and it works well because of his sort-of "celebrity-status" in the game).  Rinagebel is just boringly obnoxious under this persona, and the old man in the woods hits the point even harder that makes it seem like the writers just didn't have anything good for their characters to say. 

What bothers me the most is that the dialogue isn't even really funny; womanizers can be amusing (James Bond, Austin Powers, Alfie, Tony Stark, Ryan Gosling's character in Crazy Stupid Love), but this is more "where are the women", "why aren't there any here", "I like women in clothes" and so forth.  Hell, Brock from Pokémon at least talked to the objects of his affection than just just make them the topic of a conversation no one started.

/rant

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #695 on: February 11, 2014, 06:04:31 PM »

I haven't played the game at all and have no idea what/who you are referencing, but that dude sounds like an homosexual pretending he's straight.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #696 on: February 11, 2014, 06:09:12 PM »

I find Ringabel and the Yulyana sage incredibly obnoxious too, but I will say the banter between Ringabel and Edea makes me smile because it reminds me of a far less boring Edge/Rydia.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #697 on: February 11, 2014, 06:41:17 PM »

snip

Honestly, Ringabel's entire character feels like it's smashed to pieces once you hit the Red Mage.  At that point the game is intentionally mocking him and the "womanizer" persona so common in media.

You'll see.

Code:
It's a bit frustrating that he persists after the events, though, all things considered.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #698 on: February 11, 2014, 07:39:16 PM »

snip

Honestly, Ringabel's entire character feels like it's smashed to pieces once you hit the Red Mage.  At that point the game is intentionally mocking him and the "womanizer" persona so common in media.

You'll see.

Code:
It's a bit frustrating that he persists after the events, though, all things considered.

To be fair, that is an optional scenario.

And yeah, a lot of the game's difficulty can be traced to the question of when you get your hands on powerful weapons/gear. Although being in chapter 3, I'm finding that enemies have just become so spongy that even with effective damage in the hands of a powerful damage dealer it'll still take two to three solid hits from them to take 'em down (fortunately, the first chapter 3 dungeon is a total corpse party which means Cura/Blessed Shield spam for Sweeper bonuses).

Edit: #5555thPost
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 07:41:32 PM by Aeolus » Logged

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #699 on: February 11, 2014, 08:22:24 PM »

Chapter 4 has had me regretting being so predisposed to 4x speed. I get impatient watching things happen and before you know it, WHOOPS my whole party ate 4 uninterrupted thundagas and died. Of course, then I switcb my tactics a tad and spend 3 dungeons on auto fight again because I beat the competition (in this case, ninja with 2 falcon knives spamming crescent moon off valkyrie for instant wins). Right up to the Gigas Lich, I've smoked every fight first round....except for the triceratops looking baddies in everlast tower...they've ruined my 1 turn bonus every time. Now I'm fighting a series of dragons around the world map for access to the last class quest and they're ruining my damn life. I've resorted to the cheapest abuse for wins, lots of utsusemi and ramparts. I feel dirty not just plowing through battles with regular hits.

TASTY!
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #700 on: February 11, 2014, 09:27:08 PM »

Now I'm fighting a series of dragons around the world map for access to the last class quest and they're ruining my damn life. I've resorted to the cheapest abuse for wins, lots of utsusemi and ramparts. I feel dirty not just plowing through battles with regular hits.

Not really a spoiler just a really cheap way to beat the dragons.
Code:
You are already using ninja but if you attach swordmaster or the counter skill, you can dodge and counter attack. You don't even need rampart then.

A more legit way would be timing your attacks for every third round and playing defensively the other two. They always seem to do the attack that makes you weak to their element every third attack.

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #701 on: February 11, 2014, 09:29:20 PM »

I found the lack of funds and items irritating. Add in the strength of enemies and it became infuriating. I decided to stay in a small area, turn on the battles to 100% and steal any compound items from creatures then sell them. The wind temple works great for this. Also night time just outside the city. After upgrading some equipment and Stocking up on a few restorative I had less frustrations.

Make sure you're using net friend invites if you don't have access to actual streetpasses. You can buy Phoenix Downs very easily if you upgrade the Norende item shop. If you need money, toss a thief and a merchant into a battle, steal from every enemy, sell the items back to them on turbo. Do that on 200% encounters for a few minutes, and boom, instant funds and items :) I've earned 8k gil in like 15 minutes this way outside of Ancheim.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 09:32:20 PM by Taelus » Logged

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #702 on: February 11, 2014, 10:44:12 PM »

Well, the last boss of Chapter 2 is giving me trouble. The stupid Seep attack is way too OP, even with early access to Abate Water and a Water Charm.

I guess I'll just have to kill those Dora the Explorer dragon creatures in the mountain leading to the pervy sage.

EDIT: It got electrocuted to death. It's amazing what two extra levels can do for you!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 11:29:52 PM by AuraChannelerChris » Logged

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #703 on: February 11, 2014, 11:13:17 PM »

Added everyone who PM'd me! Also haven't made too much progress, around the start of Chapter 1 currently.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #704 on: February 12, 2014, 12:45:59 AM »

Had both my first game crash and ramming of the damage cap while fighting the level 20 legacy boss. Not that the fight itself was hard to redo at my level.

Numbers Edit: Using Bravely Second, I managed to inflict 13426 HP worth of damage with a single attack. The conditions involved my level 34 Agnés as a level 8 Ranger armed with an Angel's Bow, Red Cap, Mirage Vest, and Power Bracers, having set HP +10%, M.Defense +10%, and P.Attack +10% abilities, using the Rapid Fire special with Fire, Flier Slaying, and Poison Touch parts after the previous turn was used to Invigorate up to 150% PAtk and add Haste.

Double Edit: Make it two crashes.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 01:17:52 AM by Aeolus » Logged

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 71 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: