Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 06:23:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341139 Posts in 13942 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Things you can’t bear in RPGs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] Print
Author Topic: Things you can’t bear in RPGs  (Read 37284 times)
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: January 03, 2014, 06:52:39 AM »

With the exception of the Dragon Quest installments they worked on, I've never found Level 5's RPGs to be particularly enjoyable. I'm not sure if it's the weak writing, boring combat systems, or higher emphasis on synthesis/alchemy, but I just can't get into them.
Aww I actually like Level 5.....I mean I can't deny that most of their games are flawed at best. But I still like them. If they could just put in an extra ounce of polish I think they could make decent game. :(
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: January 03, 2014, 09:13:15 AM »

= Redundant menus.  Skyward Sword, what the fuck.  Pokemon, yeah I know I levelled up, and I know that a skill will be lost forever if I ditch it, you don't have to ask me if SUPER-SURE that I want to get rid of it because I've been told of this risk the LAST HUNDRED TIME YOU ASKED. >:(

Speaking of menus...

Burnout Paradise -- not an RPG but I think this applies -- does this really bizarre thing with the main game menu, in that you have about five screens, but you have to flip through them sequentially. So it's like, options, more options, leaderboard, map, DLC store. You open the menu and it goes to the map by default, and you have to hit the shoulder buttons/F1 four times to get to the actual options menu. There's no top-level menu where I can just pick which submenu I want. Also the menus aren't connected circularly, so you can't go map->dlc->options.

Menus you can flip through sequentially make sense if it's the same basic menu being used for different, uh, characters/data/whatever. Doing it for a bunch of totally unrelated menus? Not so much.

I can't actually think of any RPGs that do this and BP was from 2009 so I don't think this is necessarily an emerging trend, but... that is seriously the worst UI design I've ever seen in a game and I need to vent.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

pg.shadowrunner
The Spooniest Bard You Will Ever Meet.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: January 05, 2014, 10:58:12 AM »

With the exception of the Dragon Quest installments they worked on, I've never found Level 5's RPGs to be particularly enjoyable. I'm not sure if it's the weak writing, boring combat systems, or higher emphasis on synthesis/alchemy, but I just can't get into them.
Aww I actually like Level 5.....I mean I can't deny that most of their games are flawed at best. But I still like them. If they could just put in an extra ounce of polish I think they could make decent game. :(

It's cool that you like them. :) I just haven't been able to get into any of Level 5's games outside of Dragon Quests VIII and IX and maybe the first Dark Cloud. It's not for lack of trying, I was really stoked to play Rogue Galaxy for instance, but ended up not wanting to play it after a few hours.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 11:03:28 AM by pg.shadowrunner » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: