Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 11:26:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327848 Posts in 13421 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Ys (IV) Memories of Celceta
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: Ys (IV) Memories of Celceta  (Read 13093 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 11:25:55 PM »

Siliconera talks to Falcom about it. The bit about needing to talk with Xseed's president seems to affirm to me we'll get it, just a matter of when.
Jonathan Ingram
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2011, 07:48:34 AM »

I wonder if Falcom plans to combine both Mask of the Sun and The Dawn of Ys into one game. It`s not quite clear from the interview.
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2011, 11:41:27 AM »

This looks incredible to me. I haven't made it to VII yet (I feel I must play them chronologically even though I know it isn't necessary for this series....) but I'll tell you what, this trailer makes me wanna skip right ahead to it! I adore all the 2-D Y's I have immersed myself in thus far though and a title like this would actually get me to buy a vita..... well I'll end up buying a vita anyhow.... but it is because of titles like this!! We better get this stateside

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
beach1

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2011, 04:59:31 AM »

Not Ys 4 remake news, but the English translation patch for Ys Origin for the pc is out now!!

ADMIN EDIT: If a PC fan translation link is allowed it's not going to be from there.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 05:33:34 AM by Eusis » Logged
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2011, 07:56:10 AM »

What is the actual stance on fan translations here? It's always been a very grey area.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2011, 12:29:02 PM »

Its not the translation, its the ROM it patches into that causes issues.

NOW PLAYING:
Hearthstone: I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Chaos on Deponia: Beat the first one, went straight for the second one, that says a lot.
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin: Seems ok, has mouse issues.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2011, 01:32:18 PM »

Technically, it is illegal to modify code. Although, usually fan translations are aimed at non-locally copyrighted material, which means there is nothing the company can do.

Then there's as you say the issue of applying the patch. On console gaming, there's pretty much no way for it to be legal. On PC gaming, with the game (as opposed to the ROM), the only offense is the one mentioned in the preceding paragraph.

So given that it ranges from grey to illegal, I'm surprised at Eusis' phrasing in his edit, given how strict the rules are here. (and since I feel like somebody may comment on that last bit, I'm fully okay with the rules, their forum, their rules. Simple.)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2011, 05:59:04 PM »

I`m not exactly impressed with the visuals, but I`m still stoked for this! It`s a Falcom game and they (almost)never suck.

Come on, it's a port of an early 90s game, though I don't know whether touched up the visuals from the PC or SNES version or made them from scratch. Presumably they touched up one of the versions? I think it has a certain Suikoden V vibe that I kind of like.

"Touched up" is quite the understatement... And it already can't be a port because of the inclusion of extra characters in addition to Adol. It's a full blown remake, but it may not be that either because Falcom never made their own version of Ys IV. They're finally making their own version of Ys IV, which makes this a lot more exciting than the news of most remakes.

In regards to just the visuals though: They look barely better than PSP... which makes me wonder if this was originally a PSP game before they saw the Vita announcement and decided "fuck it, we'll just port our work up to that."

That, and/or Japanese just suck at graphics nowadays.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2011, 05:43:24 PM »

So given that it ranges from grey to illegal, I'm surprised at Eusis' phrasing in his edit, given how strict the rules are here. (and since I feel like somebody may comment on that last bit, I'm fully okay with the rules, their forum, their rules. Simple.)

Go ahead and talk about the game, just don't talk about where and how to get the fantranslation. Do share how to get the game legitimately though! I know you can mail order from Falcom, but I'd have to dig that out again and that's better for a dedicated thread or something anyway than one for Ys Celceta.

Admittedly that never was really Falcom's forte. They were more about making pleasant looking graphics than mindblowing graphics, and it continues here. You want to be amazed, you're probably better off with Uncharted.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 06:27:40 PM by Eusis » Logged
MonCapitan2002

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2011, 08:14:17 PM »

I`m not exactly impressed with the visuals, but I`m still stoked for this! It`s a Falcom game and they (almost)never suck.

Come on, it's a port of an early 90s game, though I don't know whether touched up the visuals from the PC or SNES version or made them from scratch. Presumably they touched up one of the versions? I think it has a certain Suikoden V vibe that I kind of like.

"Touched up" is quite the understatement... And it already can't be a port because of the inclusion of extra characters in addition to Adol. It's a full blown remake, but it may not be that either because Falcom never made their own version of Ys IV. They're finally making their own version of Ys IV, which makes this a lot more exciting than the news of most remakes.

In regards to just the visuals though: They look barely better than PSP... which makes me wonder if this was originally a PSP game before they saw the Vita announcement and decided "fuck it, we'll just port our work up to that."
That would be my guess. It looks like it's using the same graphics engine Ys Seven uses.  While the engine was fine for a PSP game, its not nearly as impressive for the Playstation Vita.  A part of me was actually rather disappointed with the new game's visuals.  While it won't stop me from buying the game (in fact, it's a system seller for me), I do wish it looked more impressive visually.

Nel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2011, 11:30:33 PM »

Looks fantastic. Bring it on! It'd be great to finally get IV in any form.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2011, 12:27:33 AM »

Admittedly that never was really Falcom's forte. They were more about making pleasant looking graphics than mindblowing graphics, and it continues here. You want to be amazed, you're probably better off with Uncharted.

*shrug*
I dunno.  Sometimes it just feels like the effort ain't really there either sometimes too.  I give credit to the smaller guys trying though.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2011, 09:59:43 AM »

Nobody is expecting uncharted, but maybe something that looks better than a PS2 game at higher frame rate / resolution would be nice.

The sound effects get me in this, sounds like the same slashing sounds from Ys7
Wisamu

初寒

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2011, 05:44:36 PM »

It would be awesome to finally get to see Falcom's take on Ys IV. Overly worked up graphics in RPGs have never really been my cup of tea, so it's great to see Falcom is still sticking to its old pleasant-yet-not-too-pleasant style of graphics. If they ported it, I'm very glad they did.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 01:16:26 PM by Wisamu » Logged

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."
-- Friedrich Nietzsche
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2012, 12:35:16 PM »

Bamping with an update,

http://andriasang.com/con1jl/ys_vita_touch_controls/

or two.

http://andriasang.com/con1k9/ys_celceta_screens/

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: