Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2014, 12:41:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332964 Posts in 13642 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Ys (IV) Memories of Celceta
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Print
Author Topic: Ys (IV) Memories of Celceta  (Read 14448 times)
Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: December 08, 2013, 03:46:32 PM »

If that's the case then what's the rush to get the awards out so quickly?  A lot of people have extended time off during the holidays and would be able to play some of the games they missed, leading towards more accurate opinions.
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: December 08, 2013, 05:32:57 PM »

Six months ago, I owned zero Ys games and hadn't played any of them seriously.  Now I own eight Ys games and have beaten four of them.  New obsession for the latter half of 2013 (first half of 2013 it was Persona 4). 

So I've beaten Ys I, Ys II, and The Oath in Felghana on Steam, plus sunk roughly a dozen hours into Ys vs Sora no Kiseki: Alternative Saga.  I own Ys Origin, Ys Seven, Ys: The Ark of Napishtim (PS2), and Ys: Memories of Celceta.  I don't own a Vita, so Celceta will have to wait, but I want to start on either Origin, Seven, or Napishtim soon.  Which do you suggest? 

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: December 08, 2013, 05:33:56 PM »

Ys will probably get enough mentions during the end of the year awards anyways, at least if its top stuff. I wouldn't worry about it.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: December 08, 2013, 05:39:39 PM »

Six months ago, I owned zero Ys games and hadn't played any of them seriously.  Now I own eight Ys games and have beaten four of them.  New obsession for the latter half of 2013 (first half of 2013 it was Persona 4). 

So I've beaten Ys I, Ys II, and The Oath in Felghana on Steam, plus sunk roughly a dozen hours into Ys vs Sora no Kiseki: Alternative Saga.  I own Ys Origin, Ys Seven, Ys: The Ark of Napishtim (PS2), and Ys: Memories of Celceta.  I don't own a Vita, so Celceta will have to wait, but I want to start on either Origin, Seven, or Napishtim soon.  Which do you suggest? 
I would go Napishtim, Seven, Origin.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: December 08, 2013, 07:10:15 PM »

Six months ago, I owned zero Ys games and hadn't played any of them seriously.  Now I own eight Ys games and have beaten four of them.  New obsession for the latter half of 2013 (first half of 2013 it was Persona 4).  

So I've beaten Ys I, Ys II, and The Oath in Felghana on Steam, plus sunk roughly a dozen hours into Ys vs Sora no Kiseki: Alternative Saga.  I own Ys Origin, Ys Seven, Ys: The Ark of Napishtim (PS2), and Ys: Memories of Celceta.  I don't own a Vita, so Celceta will have to wait, but I want to start on either Origin, Seven, or Napishtim soon.  Which do you suggest?  

Left field recommendation: If you liked Ys 1 and 2, and want to see what Celceta's origins were, Dawn of Ys is great, and also tends to be ridiculously cheap for a PC Engine game (12-15 dollar range).
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 07:16:15 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

neogalahad

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: December 08, 2013, 11:29:36 PM »

Left field recommendation: If you liked Ys 1 and 2, and want to see what Celceta's origins were, Dawn of Ys is great, and also tends to be ridiculously cheap for a PC Engine game (12-15 dollar range).

If you dont feel like playing the game, I think just listening to the soundtrack will put you in the right mindset for Ys:MoC. The music is very well translated to a modern soundtrack and still has that magical 90's synth vibe.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: December 09, 2013, 03:38:56 AM »

I was shocked to find an English version of this in Seoul last weekend.

I was seriously tempted, but it's hard to justify getting a Vita for just one game.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: December 09, 2013, 10:09:56 AM »

Six months ago, I owned zero Ys games and hadn't played any of them seriously.  Now I own eight Ys games and have beaten four of them.  New obsession for the latter half of 2013 (first half of 2013 it was Persona 4).  

So I've beaten Ys I, Ys II, and The Oath in Felghana on Steam, plus sunk roughly a dozen hours into Ys vs Sora no Kiseki: Alternative Saga.  I own Ys Origin, Ys Seven, Ys: The Ark of Napishtim (PS2), and Ys: Memories of Celceta.  I don't own a Vita, so Celceta will have to wait, but I want to start on either Origin, Seven, or Napishtim soon.  Which do you suggest?  

Thanks, but no thanks.  I don't own one, and haven't explored PCE/TGX emulation before.  But more on point, I'd rather play the games I already own first.  I'll consider emulating after I've beaten those first three. 

I was shocked to find an English version of this in Seoul last weekend.

I was seriously tempted, but it's hard to justify getting a Vita for just one game.
I think in mid or late 2014 I'm going to get a Vita for... like four games.  Including Celceta. 

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: December 09, 2013, 11:03:12 PM »

Napishtim has a really slow start, by the way -- I think the first area in the game kind of sucks and really isn't indicative of the experience as a whole at all (you get poisoned a lot and I think it's the only part in the game where you might need to grind. The first real dungeon is also kind of just... big and empty).

And can we just send an angry mob to hurry Sony along and get the Vita TV out in the US?

... wait my TV doesn't support HDMI could I even use a Vita TV?

--- edit ---

BTW I loooove this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrzZSGLFkEM&list=PL885A9D2B400D07D1

It's like Lunar meets Random Access Memories.

--- dit ---

Oh god also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4udktU6rgMA even if I'm more familiar with the song from Jim Powers that ripped that off :3
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 11:14:27 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: December 10, 2013, 12:20:01 AM »

I'm guessing no, but are you able to listen to the original tracks in this like you could in Ys I & II Chronicles?
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: December 13, 2013, 03:26:06 PM »

Oh god also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4udktU6rgMA even if I'm more familiar with the song from Jim Powers that ripped that off :3

Wait, Jim Power the Wrestler or Jim Power the game? Nevermind, the game....and honestly I can hear the similarities, but at the same time, it seems like it changed enough to be a completely different song.

And now I want to play Ys III. I don't even like Ys III, but damn do I like its music. Maybe I'll try the SNES version this time.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: December 13, 2013, 08:42:58 PM »

Wait, Jim Power the Wrestler or Jim Power the game? Nevermind, the game....and honestly I can hear the similarities, but at the same time, it seems like it changed enough to be a completely different song.

Chris Hülsbeck cited it as a direct influence actually !.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: December 13, 2013, 11:19:32 PM »

Did not know that. That is very interesting. I was going to say it felt "Inspired" earlier, but I had no way of proving that. Nice. =D

Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: December 24, 2013, 01:03:43 AM »

Since I can see so much love for the series I'm thinking of asking for an opinion.
I'm traveling right now and I'll be leaving the USA tomorrow and I was playing Ys Origin right before leaving and even thought I haven't beat it yet I can say I'm having a blast with it.
Do you guys think I should invest in Celceta right away?
Of course I want it but I got so many games this trip I'm really considering postponing it.
I got Tales of Xilia, Link between worlds, Etrian Odyssey millennium girl and even pokemon x which I didn't want but ended up getting as a gift.

Basic question, do you guys think Ys of Celceta should skip the long line among those mentioned games?

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: December 24, 2013, 05:41:37 AM »

Since I can see so much love for the series I'm thinking of asking for an opinion.
I'm traveling right now and I'll be leaving the USA tomorrow and I was playing Ys Origin right before leaving and even thought I haven't beat it yet I can say I'm having a blast with it.
Do you guys think I should invest in Celceta right away?
Of course I want it but I got so many games this trip I'm really considering postponing it.
I got Tales of Xilia, Link between worlds, Etrian Odyssey millennium girl and even pokemon x which I didn't want but ended up getting as a gift.

Basic question, do you guys think Ys of Celceta should skip the long line among those mentioned games?

I'll say this much, Xillia should be at the bottom of that list, no question.

Otherwise, tLoZ:aLBW is a great game but a short one, it won't tide you over for more than a week if you play conservatively, or two days if you go flat out and know what you're doing.

EO:MG and PokeX are both good time sinks for their respective genres. But inversely, you'll have to put a lot of time into them before you can finish either.

So Celceta should probably go between aLBW and EO:MG if you want to get through as many games as possible during this trip, or bring EO:MG and PkmnX with you if you're just looking for something to tide yourself over until you get back (plus its always better to travel lighter where possible).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: