Author Topic: Teh Bestest Review Evar!  (Read 12722 times)

Demon_Princess_Kay

• Banninated
    • View Profile
    • My 1up page
Teh Bestest Review Evar!
« on: September 15, 2011, 06:02:04 PM »
Every once in a while you come across something on the internet that's unspeakably stupid. This is one of those times.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/119/1194638p1.html

Whether you're a fan of Gears or not this review is just awful. Here's my thoughts on it.

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9088333

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Teh Bestest Review Evar!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 06:36:51 PM »
I knew before I came in here that it would be from IGN. I knew after reading the first line that it was going to be a bad review. And when I saw you were doing a review of this review, I knew I was in for a good time.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 06:39:34 PM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

CDFN

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 06:49:10 PM »
You know what they say, you can't spell ignorance without ign.
Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 06:57:02 PM »
Quote from: IGN
Epic's epic epic ends epically

CDFN

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 07:01:27 PM »
That really has to be one of the most retarded quotes in the history of gaming journalism.
Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.

Demon_Princess_Kay

• Banninated
    • View Profile
    • My 1up page
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 07:06:20 PM »
I knew before I came in here that it would be from IGN. I knew after reading the first line that it was going to be a bad review. And when I saw you were doing a review of this review, I knew I was in for a good time.

haha thanks though those jokes literally wrote themselves.

That really has to be one of the most retarded quotes in the history of gaming journalism.

I dunno

Gears of War 3 knows exactly what it is: a badass simulator.

is pretty bad too

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 07:10:21 PM »
I actually haven't read into it too deeply, but some of those bits were odd. Guess he wanted to throw in a bunch of bad jokes or something.

Azrael

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 07:17:07 PM »
Honestly, you're review of the review sounds more petty than that review is bad. I don't get why when people decide to use so called "big" words, they are labeled as pretentious, etc. The review read absolutely fine. You may disagree with it, but I honestly read nothing stupid in it. Sure it comes off cheesy at times, but it seems like that was semi-intentional.

Demon_Princess_Kay

• Banninated
    • View Profile
    • My 1up page
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 07:22:30 PM »
Honestly, you're review of the review sounds more petty than that review is bad. I don't get why when people decide to use so called "big" words, they are labeled as pretentious, etc. The review read absolutely fine. You may disagree with it, but I honestly read nothing stupid in it. Sure it comes off cheesy at times, but it seems like that was semi-intentional.

Destroyed beauty, hope runs deep, brothers; to the end. Part poetry, mostly marketing slang, the Gears 3 story continues with what amounts to a blood-drenched tale of woe, suffering, loss and absolution, cathartica that stands out in harsh relief when framed by the '80s era Schwarzenegger-ness of most of the dialogue. Cue the attendant grimaces, bro-vado and non-stop X-TREME one-liners.

Because that's the way professional reviews are supposed to be written? Also i don't disagree with the review i haven't played the game I wont judge his opinion on it. It's the way he wrote it this whole review is just a sloppily written mess
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 07:25:24 PM by Demon_Princess_Kay »

CDFN

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 07:22:56 PM »

Come one, think about that sentence. It's an epic and guess what? It's epic! And it ends epically!!!

Jesus Christ.

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 07:32:04 PM »
That review is basically how I talk online. Especially with the gratuitous overuse of the word 'bro' and really out of place references to Russian literature.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 07:35:30 PM »
So, I've never played any Gears game before and I'm not really sure if I should purchase the third entry. I read the review, but I understood fuck nothing out of it. Maybe there was a strong assumption that I played the two games before in there... a bit.

Demon_Princess_Kay

• Banninated
    • View Profile
    • My 1up page
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 07:40:59 PM »
It would also helpful to know what the fuck bro-motional lump, bro-vado, and well whatever other bro-terms he used meant.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 07:41:35 PM »
Honestly, Kay, I found your critique to be quite childish and unfounded.  Your contempt is obvious, but 90% of what you wrote amounts to little more than heckling.  You fail to present a coherent message.  One minute you criticize the author for using too much slang, and then the next you criticize the author for using 'big words' (that aren't even that big).  You seem to be going out of your way to find things to complain about.  I might note that personally I didn't have any difficulty understanding the author's slang and I'm not even much of a slang user myself.

It's obvious that the writer wasn't going for a "professional journalistic tone", but this isn't a story about international politics.  It's a video game review.  What's wrong with being a little silly?  One shouldn't claim something isn't 'professional' without considering the context and nature of the article in question.  Frankly I enjoy it when a reviewer feels that he or she can be a little more personal with the audience.  Not every review needs to be a dry list of facts.

Come one, think about that sentence. It's an epic and guess what? It's epic! And it ends epically!!!

Jesus Christ.

It's a friggin joke.  It's supposed to sound silly.

P.S.: I hate Gears of War.

CDFN

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 07:47:25 PM »
It's not silly, it's retarded. I don't really care, I didn't even bother reading the whole thing, I just thought that was pretty bad.