Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 03:53:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341180 Posts in 13944 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  5 Ways to Tell You're Getting Too Old for Video Games
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: 5 Ways to Tell You're Getting Too Old for Video Games  (Read 4065 times)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2011, 12:00:21 AM »

im 31 and i never allowed life to go on.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2011, 12:08:05 AM »

im 31

what

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2011, 12:15:57 AM »

I'm 0 for 5.

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2011, 12:30:35 AM »

You and me both, Ash.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2011, 12:47:21 AM »

Honestly, I enjoy gaming more now than I ever have, and I'm old as fuck.  I think it's because I'm a lot pickier about my gaming purchases these days than I was in the days of yore; I'm not gonna pony up $60 for something that I'm not sure I'll like.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2011, 11:04:58 AM »

Honestly, I enjoy gaming more now than I ever have, and I'm old as fuck.  I think it's because I'm a lot pickier about my gaming purchases these days than I was in the days of yore; I'm not gonna pony up $60 for something that I'm not sure I'll like.
Bingo!  I am very careful about what I buy, because my time is extremely limited. I end up playing pretty much only the best games, so it's not so bad really.

BTW, I'm 36 too, Tooker. I've been playing games since I was a kid and see no reason to stop. It just comes to down to priorities. Obviously my wife and son come first. Then there's the job, my garden(HUGE time sink), other family things, etc etc. I'm able to play maybe 3-4 times a week for an hour or so at a time. They typical game takes me forever to get through, but I still enjoy it. I NEED the escape, to be perfectly honest.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2011, 11:18:31 AM »

^Same here.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2011, 12:57:08 PM »

I read through this as a 15 year old (I know, I know, I'm way older than you thought I was) just to compare what I had to say about it with you guys.

I don't care about anything but on the couch multiplayer. If I want to play with people online, I'll play an MMO.
I'm okay with the lengths of games, but I've never played more than a few hours of those several hundred hour games.
Games' storylines are compelling for me now then ever. Except Kingdom Hearts 2's storyline. That was the opposite of compelling once it lost its magic.
I've always said it and I still hold to it, "I don't care if its the biggest ripoff ever; just so long as its a good ripoff, I'll enjoy it."
Games used to be about fun? I'd never have guessed.

As to how much time I get to game... it depends on how much homework I have that week. Some weeks I may have upwards of 10-20 hours to play games, some I may have a total of an hour. Gaming still hasn't lost its appeal to me, the appeal just changed from when I was little (ooh, fun) to what I am now (ooh, storyline).

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2011, 04:01:21 PM »

I feel like a lot of you are misreading the article as "Shit I'm so old video games are no fun anymore" when really the article is saying more "Shit, I'm old and thinking back, video games were fun for different reasons"
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2011, 09:15:22 PM »

I bought a best friend one copy of Resident Evil The Mercs 3D or whatever.  We still haven't played together.  Scheduling is fuck.  Work for 5 days, fit your entire life into 2 days.  wee

Pro tip: don't buy your kids shitty games.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
DTX180

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2011, 01:50:23 AM »

Some of these points really hit me. But i don't like how they are over simplifying things by saying "if you dont like games now, sorry, you grew up". That's practically admitting that console gaming hasn't changed since the 80s/early 90s, which isn't true at all.

I mean would somebody say "all people who don't like today's music just outgrew music"? No. Not a chance.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 01:53:21 AM by DTX180 » Logged
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2011, 01:59:39 AM »

I'm starting to wonder if you guys read the same article I did...

DTX180

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2011, 02:46:58 AM »

I'm starting to wonder if you guys read the same article I did...

how so?
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2011, 03:13:05 AM »

I know it's half satire, but some of those things hit, at least in part; the bit about stories is DEFINITELY due to age since it's way harder to impress an adult than it is a child as I saw with FFIV when replaying it, I don't like the multiplayer focus some games seem to be taking, and the originality bit is... a bit complicated; more ideas are used now then before I suspect, but you mainly see one genre recycled to death rather than 3 or 4, so at least years back it seemed like there was more variety in the hordes of "me too" games and it probably helped give big budget productions a bit more leeway in what to do. Still, game length for RPGs is roughly where it's always been (if anything they may just be denser in content rather than longer) and while shooters ARE on average longer they're also not disgustingly long anyway. That, and fun's in the same position as it's always been: the are efforts to make money, but they're trying to be entertaining because next to no one wants to spend money on something they wouldn't enjoy.

Anyways, I wanted to throw this in too: 5 Crucial Lessons Learned by Watching Kids Play Video Games
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: