Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 26, 2014, 01:21:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327449 Posts in 13407 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Mandatory PS3 update removes right to join class-action lawsuit
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Mandatory PS3 update removes right to join class-action lawsuit  (Read 4896 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2011, 12:23:40 PM »

Is anyone going to bother sending a letter to Sony to opt out?

I am thinking about it.  Not that I was even planning on suing them but it's the principle of the thing.

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2011, 04:47:47 PM »

Man, and I was gonna buy some candy with the $4 I was going to get from that lawsuit. Class actions are useless except to lawyers and the first couple of people to start the lawsuit.

True, but I did get $140 bucks from one before though!

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2011, 03:49:32 AM »

Is anyone going to bother sending a letter to Sony to opt out?

I am thinking about it.  Not that I was even planning on suing them but it's the principle of the thing.

Same. I actually like the IDEA of arbitration, the problem is how will it work in practice? Likely not very well. And the class action thing feels like being kicked while I'm down, because whether or not I send a letter in I'm barred from that.
Darklight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2011, 04:58:53 AM »

You guys been following the Drama since Last year? I'm completely over Sony and their BS, Actually i'm over them since they outsued Liksang. Fact is their console really isn't that brilliant to begin with, added with their unwanted attention since sueing Geohot, etc  It's all just drama now.The stupid pricks can't even do Psone classics properly for Europe/Australia, Basically ignore the PAL community.
DTX180

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2011, 05:12:09 PM »

man remember when the biggest news stories were things like "what was the best game this year: ocarina of time, metal gear solid, or starcraft?"

I read that article that says "everyone who doesnt like todays games are just too old", and realize its a crock of ****. $20 DLC to unlock something on the DVD, companies playing the "who can screw over the consumer the most without walking the plank". Gaming has become waaaaay to "wall street" for me. If thats me getting too old than fine.
SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2011, 10:30:27 PM »

I'm completely over Sony and their BS, Actually i'm over them since they outsued Liksang.

oh yeah, that was lame
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2011, 11:24:38 PM »

On another note, man am I glad I left Sony's ship years ago.

Viva La Nintendo.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2011, 07:28:26 PM »

Sony, we don't need you anymore.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2011, 07:32:54 PM »

The thing that keeps me from wanting to dogpile on Sony is that... well, this stems from the Supreme Court ruling, not just SCEA alone being stupid. It's not improbable the same or similar will happen on XBL and Nintendo's services anyway, meaning you may just be kinda fucked regardless. FAILING that... honestly, each of them has their own advantages/disadvantages, and it'll do us more harm to see Sony go than not. Nintendo's fairly backwards about online functionality, and Microsoft's may be turning into the most antagonistic one towards niche retail releases now that they mandate a minimum 50,000 print run. There's a lot more we don't know about undoubtedly on the developer/publisher side too that may make Sony a favorable choice, though that seems to apply in Japan more than elsewhere.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 07:41:54 PM by Eusis » Logged
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2011, 11:38:38 AM »

IGN actually posted something useful:

How To Opt Out of Sony's Class Action Waiver

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/119/1195833p1.html

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Demon_Princess_Kay
Banninated

AnarchKay
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2011, 11:50:33 PM »

and thus hell has froze over.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2011, 05:03:09 AM »

and thus hell has froze over.

Balanced out by GiantBomb being a bit more useful.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2011, 05:18:16 AM »

*shrugs* Personally, at risk of coming under fire for being too deep in my cave to see the big picture; I think this is a good thing. America (and it's starting to spread outside the borders from what I've heard third hand) is far too much of a litigation culture for my taste. Kids attempting to sue parents, people suing food businesses for either making them "fat" or not warning them hot coffee is hot...it's actually refreshing to see someone say "No, you can't sue us for X."

Also it might actually force consumers to do something useful when they've been legitimately wronged (like the info hack fiasco) aside from running to a lawyer and ultimately causing about as much damage to the company as a gnat on a bull's nose...like maybe...I dunno...actually sticking to a boycott for a change rather than crying "We won't buy!" then doing so once the next shiny comes out?

Just my two coppers anyway.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 05:19:55 AM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2011, 04:12:08 PM »

There needed to be some way to effectively block or at least deter the dumber lawsuits (maybe there WERE effective measures though and the dumb ones got publicized anyway before crashing and burning), but this is an extreme. It basically means if a company royally fucks up, like maybe games en masse vanish on users ala 1984 on Kindle, but with no replacement or consolation offer, no one can really do anything. The threat of the class action lawsuit can help keep these companies inline.

And as I was fearing: It's spreading.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2011, 04:36:24 PM »

And as I was fearing: It's spreading.

If Microsoft doesn't have one already, they will be next.  Ridiculous.

*shrugs* Personally, at risk of coming under fire for being too deep in my cave to see the big picture; I think this is a good thing. America (and it's starting to spread outside the borders from what I've heard third hand) is far too much of a litigation culture for my taste. Kids attempting to sue parents, people suing food businesses for either making them "fat" or not warning them hot coffee is hot...it's actually refreshing to see someone say "No, you can't sue us for X."

Also it might actually force consumers to do something useful when they've been legitimately wronged (like the info hack fiasco) aside from running to a lawyer and ultimately causing about as much damage to the company as a gnat on a bull's nose...like maybe...I dunno...actually sticking to a boycott for a change rather than crying "We won't buy!" then doing so once the next shiny comes out?

Just my two coppers anyway.

This doesn't really stop them from getting sued.  It just attempts to stop a person/organization/lawyer from bringing a case to court on the behalf of a group of people.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: