Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 05:59:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338760 Posts in 13865 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Atlus announces Etrian Odyssey
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Atlus announces Etrian Odyssey  (Read 1966 times)
jj984jj

View Profile

Ignore
« on: September 01, 2006, 01:34:34 AM »

Atlus U.S.A., Inc., a leading publisher of interactive entertainment, today announced the acquisition of the North American publishing rights to Etrian Odyssey, a ground-breaking RPG for the Nintendo DS known as Sekaiju no Meikyuu in Japan.

Directed by Kazuya Niinou (Trauma Center: Under the Knife), with story design by Shigeo Komori (Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner) and sound design by the legendary Yuzo Koshiro (Actraiser, Streets of Rage), Etrian Odyssey is currently scheduled for release in the first quarter of 2007.

“This game revitalizes the classic spirit of exploration and adventure for a new platform and a new audience,” said Nich Maragos, project lead of Etrian Odyssey for Atlus USA. “The hand-drawn map feature along with the lush graphics will make gamers want to get lost in the striking forest world of Etria.”

Etrian Odyssey has not yet been rated by the ESRB; an E10+ or T rating is expected.

About Etrian Odyssey
In a vast and fertile land lies a small town known as Etria, a peaceful village that became famous for a startling discovery. A crack in the vast forest opened at Etria’s edge, leading downward like a gaping maw. It all began there…

Those who hear rumors of the labyrinth of Etria, whether young or old, begin to harbor dreams of exploring it.

Riches… fame… prestige… all that and one more thing does the labyrinth promise: the true spirit of adventure, on the perilous edge of death.

Today, like any other day in the new Etria, a youth walks through the town gates…

Etrian Odyssey Key Features
• Make your own maps with the Touch Screen! Plot your progress through the labyrinth, drawing walls and placing icons to note special events, treasure chests, doors, pits, stairs, and landmarks.
• Nine character classes! Create a woodland survivalist, shield-bearing templar, whip-wielding dark hunter, or any of a half-dozen other types. Populate an adventurer’s guild with up to 20 characters!
• Turn-based strategic combat! Acquire and collect more than 20 battle skills for your adventuring party of five characters.
• All-star production staff! Direction by Kazuya Niinou (Trauma Center: Under the Knife), story design by Shigeo Komori (Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner), and sound design by Yuzo Koshiro (Actraiser, Streets of Rage).
• Beautiful 3D graphics! Say goodbye to the dank, gray corridors of past dungeon RPGs as you step into warm, inviting, forest environments rendered in an original 3D engine.

This was what RPGFan revealed at E3 and had to take down quickly. It was called Yggdrasil Labyrinth then. Seems the final name will be Etrian Odyssey.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 01:57:12 AM »

I like the new name more than the E3 one. Going to look up screens before I comment more.

Edit: Found the official site. I had to dig around a bit, but I found a small handful of pics in one of the selections on the third tab down. Maybe this will be the game Deep Labyrinth hoped to be?
jj984jj

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 02:36:13 AM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
I like the new name more than the E3 one. Going to look up screens before I comment more.

Edit: Found the official site. I had to dig around a bit, but I found a small handful of pics in one of the selections on the third tab down. Maybe this will be the game Deep Labyrinth hoped to be?
Given the developer is Atlus this time I think it'll be a lot better than Deep Labyrinth. But it'll also be a completely different type of game, this game will use the two screens more than the touch-screen, and the battles are turn based.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 02:37:34 AM »

Well, I meant in that whole hardcore dungeon crawling thing.
Extwin

imlzeronx
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 05:11:08 PM »

Lets just hope it doesnt turn out to be god-aweful like Deep Labyrinth (or so I'm told). It looks to be pretty anyway

Mostly lurks, with good reason
Obviously, I'm a genius...The Darkrider said so
Me: So, Mom, where are you going in the U.K.?
Mom: Ware
Me: Yeah, where?
Mom: No, Ware.... W-A-R-E
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 05:33:34 PM »

Yuzo Koshiro has me interested.  Streets of Rage has awesome music.  

And I am digging the more outdoorsy foresty dungeons.  I'm not a fan of dank corridors.  Even in PSO, my favorite dungeon to crawl/explore was the forest.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 05:35:10 PM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
And I am digging the more outdoorsy foresty dungeons.  I'm not a fan of dank corridors.  Even in PSO, my favorite dungeon to crawl/explore was the forest.

I also attributed it to the fact that had the most unique design. The others were largely similar rooms connected by similar corridors, but their was more varity to each room in the Forest.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006, 06:03:48 PM »

that, and forest dungeons feel a lot less claustrophobic than ruins and worse, sewers.  And trees are more interesting to look at than sand (I loathe desert dungeons.)

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Crusader

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2006, 01:24:37 AM »

All this talk about dense, dark dungeons makes me think of Vagrant Story and its never-ending amounts of it.

I'm a big Atlus fan, as probably any true RPG fan is, so this is good news, especially since the DS is still low on quality RPGs. This should follow nicely to Rocket Slime. And I wonder how good Spectrobes is going to be...
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: