Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 06:39:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318973 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  1Up: Why Japanese Games are Breaking Up With the West
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 1Up: Why Japanese Games are Breaking Up With the West  (Read 2138 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« on: September 13, 2011, 02:45:53 PM »

Didn't know where to put it, putting it here. This actually has a lot of good points.

http://www.1up.com/features/japanese-games-breaking-west

Admin Edit: Removed Fulltext of the article.  1UP, like RPGFan, and every other website on the internet, functions because of ad revenue.  Don't strip them of that by posting the entire article here.  They wrote it, not us.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 03:44:27 PM by KeeperX » Logged

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 02:53:30 PM »

I liked the one comment: Japanese games seem to serve a somewhat niche nowadays (I'm not talking about the bigger developers... hell, Capcom is more West than East lately... and kinda sucking for it), while NA has this crazy obsession for FPS (and zombies).   Very general article, and it does have a few points, but, I think it still missed a few things.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 03:17:43 PM »

This is a very interesting article, and I learned a lot from it. It still makes me sad that Japanese console games are so limited in their appeal, but reading why does my heart some good.

Also, this article reminds me why I gave up being a real-life "Weeaboo" - there's no way I could keep up with life in Japan. 13 hour work-days on a regular basis would kill me.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 04:51:37 PM »

Very general article, and it does have a few points, but, I think it still missed a few things.

Such as?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 04:55:43 PM »

I think another thing that's hurt them, or rather jrpgs specifically, is hardware competition. Competition's supposed to be good, but in this case I think it really isn't. They lean a bit more towards handhelds, but really they're 5 systems and they're all over the place. If you have a ds you're missing out on psp games and vice versa. Same for PS3 and wii. Xbox isn't competing directly save for some earlier exclusives, but it's still competing for a spot under your tv in general.

The market's split, most developers don't have the money to cross platform and most players don't have the money for 5 systems. Everyone had it a lot better when it was just 'buy a ps2 and you're set'.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 05:01:48 PM by Raze » Logged
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 05:12:30 PM »

a high-ranking and well known producer played the game for thirty seconds, declared, "This game feels cheap," dropped the controller on the desk and walk away without another word.

I lol'd.
Interesting article. The industry is constantly changing though, it might be completely different 5 years from now. But yeah, japanese gamers seem to be fine with the current state of the industry and japanese developers can't ignore their own market. As long as the good games keep reaching the West (can you imagine a world where Persona 5 only exists in japanese?) it doesn't bother me. I've mainly bought western games this year but games like Catherine or Atelier Totori still give me my fix of moe lol.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
invinciblegod

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 08:46:45 PM »

Okay, I played peace walker so I'm very curious. What is the claw control scheme?
Annubis

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 09:33:34 PM »

Okay, I played peace walker so I'm very curious. What is the claw control scheme?

don't you know? Google knows everything: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0bzLXnx0k4
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 03:13:11 AM »

don't you know? Google knows everything: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0bzLXnx0k4

Hey, that's what I did to make do some of those annoying jumps in Wild Arms 5 right! You know, the one where you have to move, rotate camera and jump at the same time.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 03:51:17 AM »

Actually, that's HILARIOUS. The painful finger configuration people are using in Japan for their most popular series is being used over here for our most popular series, just with the right hand rather than the left. Was expecting a Monster Hunter video there.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 10:31:37 AM »

Very general article, and it does have a few points, but, I think it still missed a few things.

Such as?

Honestly?  I've gotten so sick of this topic I didn't even bother writing it.   Mostly the view had a slant and all that whatnot. =_=

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 12:26:18 PM »

I can state it simply. 

Western devs decided the "gamer" is no longer people like us(people who appreciate games), and are now focusing on the "drunken frat boy" demographic since there's more drunken frat boys than game enthusiasts.  Thus the hundreds of sub par fps, third person "sandbox" games, and cover and shoot games.

Japanese devs decided to sell to the Otaku market since otaku(not anime fans, I'm talking the scary as shit folk who lost touch with reality) are more willing to purchase anything branded with their fav char.  Thus all the moe games. 

Also Japan's game industry is still working in the sense of "You like this game, accept it" over the West's "Here's our game, I hope you like it".

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
invinciblegod

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 03:00:47 PM »

Hmm that works for a  controller with dual analog but how does it work for psp? The article said they added in faux dual analog for metal gear peace walker so what possible claw configuration could our have been?
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 10:51:05 PM »

Also Japan's game industry is still working in the sense of "You like this game, accept it" over the West's "Here's our game, I hope you like it".

I can see pros for both approaches, though I think it was because of how Hideo Kojima phrased it. Something along the line of just making a game as they see fit, versus trying to address what people want. I can see the former leading to more unique ideas, and the latter to better executed ideas. Of course, there's indie games that REALLY can go freely doing what they want.

And western developers are probably aiming more towards the "drunken frat boy" because there IS overlap, especially with sandbox games. Those seem to be the ones that have both high mainstream success and high enthusiast praise. It's just a shame when aiming towards the drunken frat boy a lot of other genres get pushed to the side unless they can have a high real time action focus.
Alhizzy

Don't Hassle the Hoff!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2011, 12:29:30 AM »

I think a more interesting question might be how the East is accepting games produced from the West.  I've heard that there is a niche of Japanese gamers that dig games like Mass Effect, but that it's less mainstream.  I do wonder sometimes though how other great games that came out of the west fared in Japan though, such as Dragon Age Origins and Baldur's Gate 2.  (bioware brownie points yippee)

The thing I wonder about is why it seems that most RPGs we get from Japan have kind of childish storylines.  One would think that if the style of the games I mentioned were really appreciated over there, then they may start creating games with more mature plots and characters (which is the main reason i'm not as big on JRPGs these days).  That may just be a disconnect in the culture I suppose...

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." ~Ron Paul
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: