Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 12:00:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335181 Posts in 13725 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dragon's Dogma
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17 Print
Author Topic: Dragon's Dogma  (Read 33125 times)
Fyle

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: May 21, 2012, 06:21:52 PM »

I still think it's great that the character you make will have an impact on gameplay.  Make a scrawny lightweight character and you may find yourself struggling to keep your footing during strong gusts of wind.  Make a short character and you may be able to get through passageways otherwise inaccessible.  Make a fat character and you can literally prevent certain enemies from being able to take flight.

Yes. That does sound good.

Lots of original ideas in this one. Wish it came out before D3.

I guess I can pick it up when it gets super cheap.

I was once a pick up artist like you until I took an RPG to the knee.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: May 22, 2012, 10:50:57 PM »

The title theme music is the cheesiest thing ever.  It's not as corny as Save This World, but it's damned close.  Game has been a blast so far at any rate.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: May 22, 2012, 10:55:09 PM »

This game is so my wheelhouse but a stack of 30 something unplayed games is teaching me some rare restraint.

It's a shame, if there's on game I should support it's a nicely executed rpg and a new IP to boot.

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: May 23, 2012, 12:44:04 AM »

You can trick those lumbering, dumbshit ogres into charging off a cliff.  Game of the fucking year.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: May 23, 2012, 12:45:52 AM »

You can trick those lumbering, dumbshit ogres into charging off a cliff.  Game of the fucking year.

I need this in video form to believe it.

x)

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 23, 2012, 01:09:40 AM »

You can trick those lumbering, dumbshit ogres into charging off a cliff.  Game of the fucking year.

I need this in video form to believe it.

x)

We know we have in .gif form the amazing tactic of setting yourself on fire and jumping on an enemy.
Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: May 23, 2012, 05:24:14 PM »

I've been playing this all afternoon... which I do realize is not nearly long enough to become acquainted with a game.... but damn... this really seals the deal for me.... early last week I began to question why I dislike WRPGs and I think I've arrived at the ultimate conclusion.... I just simply do.....

I mentioned in the Amalur thread how I could not place my finger on exactly why, but I wasn't digging it.... this confirms for me that I just simply can't get into these no matter how good they are.... I'm gonna continue with this one for the rest of the week and hope it grows on me but that hope is fading fast....

By the way....Where the hell is the music in these freakin' games anyways!?..... I am, by the way, probably the only one who love the title screen music...very J-Rock-ish!!

NOTE: To anyone reading this... I am not at all taking a stab at this game... quite honestly, for what it is, it seems to be the cream of the crop... which is why it confirms for me that I am just simply a wierdo..... but once again, this is a great game... I am just a highly selective gamer it seems..

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Fyle

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: May 23, 2012, 06:05:37 PM »

Well Klyde,

The big question about DD is - does it at all feel like a WRPG? It seems to an extent that was the purpose, some kind of half breed.

Features like

- character creation
- an open world
- physical differences

Are western based features while JRPGs tend to have the opposites:

- linear or semi-open world
- handing you pre-made characters w/backrounds
- a little anime girl is Superman
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 06:07:25 PM by Fyle » Logged

I was once a pick up artist like you until I took an RPG to the knee.
Klyde Chroma

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: May 23, 2012, 06:22:24 PM »

Well Klyde,

The big question about DD is - does it at all feel like a WRPG? It seems to an extent that was the purpose, some kind of half breed.

Features like

- character creation
- an open world
- physical differences

Are western based features while JRPGs tend to have the opposites:

- linear or semi-open world
- handing you pre-made characters w/backrounds
- a little anime girl is Superman

Yes indeed... it feels as western as western fantasy comes to me... that is also what I took into account when I bought this.... I said to myself, "well klyde, if there is any WRPG your gonna like, it will be a japanese-made one!" LoL

I'm so strange though..... mind you, this is coming from someone who read and re-read every tolkien book I could get my hands on back in high school and used to play table-top.... why I don't have the stomach for the stuff anymore is beyond me..... I like happy, bubbly JRPG goodness is all.... I was seriously considering popping this out and picking my Hyperdimension Neptunia MK2 playthrough back up- THAT IS HOW SICK I AM! hahahaha

EDIT: On a completely different note, for anyone interested, here is a little article on capcoms ambitions in regard to becoming a digital provider....

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2012/05/23/capcom-plans-to-be-1-provider-of-digital-content-by-2022

For those who don't like clicking links..... here is what they say about DLC

"Continue DLC as add-on content for traditional games. While Capcom has set high goals for mobile and PC gaming, they don't expect packaged software sales to go up. However, after factoring in DLC sales, they expect a 26% increase."

Klyde here is bad at math.... but that seems like a BIG increase in profit as a result of DLC now doesn't it?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 06:37:47 PM by Klyde Chroma » Logged

Triscal-Goddess / PSN
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: May 23, 2012, 07:17:01 PM »

Haven't even stepped out of the town yet, but it feels like Divinity 2 with a more actiony combat system.

Camera is a bit too close for my liking, getting some nausea from it...
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: May 24, 2012, 04:36:31 AM »

Are the FPS issues present in the final version, or is it simply a demo problem?
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: May 24, 2012, 09:20:47 AM »

In the first few hours of gameplay, I have seen a few stutters, but not any worse than any other game of this scope.

On PS3 btw.

Biggest annoyances so far, enemies don't seem to be on the mini map, so my pawn will see an enemy and take it down before I can even get my bearings straight. There also doesn't seem to be a lock on button, but for an action game that's understandable.
beLIEve?

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: May 24, 2012, 11:08:55 AM »

every review so far is saying the story is shit so klyde i can't imagine this doing it for you either. so far i'm enjoying the combat and exploration though. i like how the monsters respond to certain actions

Code:
like how i shot a cyclops in it's eye and it swung at my pawns blindly while grasping it's eye
Klyde Chroma

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: May 24, 2012, 04:38:50 PM »

every review so far is saying the story is shit so klyde i can't imagine this doing it for you either. so far i'm enjoying the combat and exploration though. i like how the monsters respond to certain actions

Code:
like how i shot a cyclops in it's eye and it swung at my pawns blindly while grasping it's eye

Well afternoon 2 on Dragons Dogma has left me feeling a little better about it..... but yes the story seems.... well... I can't say much about it, because there doesn't seem to be one.... which I would be able to cope with if they just fleshed out the basic premise a bit better.... like what the hell is the Arisen? And why or how have you become this hero?..... More importantly how is it that anyone recognizes you as such? These are questions only partially addressed before seemingly completely accepted by your hero.... I hope I'm speaking too soon and this is cleared up a bit as I'm still so early on.... Time will tell I suppose....

But as you stated.... its not about that here in WRPG-land.... its about discovery and combat.... which, while typically not what I'm about is proving pretty freakin' addicting thus far.... way more enjoyable than Amalur for me..... Character creation really is top notch as well (I was able to perfectly re-create myself and my D&D buddy from childhood... what til he sees when I post his pawn character on Facebook-lol)

So while dim, hope remains... I can say for sure that I am intrigued enough ATM to put a few more hours in.... who knows maybe I'll get drawn in enough to actually play through this one in easily digestable play sessions amongst some of the other titles I'm tending to right now.... I can't believe I just said that.... wow.....

Triscal-Goddess / PSN
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: May 24, 2012, 05:04:26 PM »

If you're playing this game for an intricate story, you're looking in the wrong place honestly.  For all intents and purposes, this is like a modernized take on the action of AD&D: Tower of Doom and AD&D: Shadow of Mystara released in the arcades and on the Sega Saturn back in the 90s with a fully realized world rather than a series of levels designed to take quarters.  There was a story in those two games as well... but they're about as interesting as the story in Street Fighter games.

I'd say it's more about the experience than anything else.  Compelling narrative is nowhere to be found.  But they nailed the AD&D atmosphere perfectly.  The enemies are straight out of a monster's compendium.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: