Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 09:13:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327769 Posts in 13420 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dragon's Dogma
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17 Print
Author Topic: Dragon's Dogma  (Read 29493 times)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: September 27, 2012, 05:18:18 AM »

now that ive got a hdtv i tried the demo again... wow im impressed its like pso in a midevil setting. translation? its jawsome!

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Tsi Aileron

113308759 TsiAileron@hotmail.com Tsi+Aileron TsiAileron
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: September 27, 2012, 03:55:50 PM »

This has me excited to play this game again. I beat it and got every trophy in 70ish hours or so and just kinda' stopped playing since there was nothing left to accomplish.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 29, 2012, 02:33:01 PM »

Got the game for Christmas and even with it's huge, glaring flaws it's a lot of fun. So long as you can deal with a fairly weak, barebones story and some of the really annoying rough edges it's absolutely worth getting, especially with Dark Arisen on the horizon (I'm expecting that to be a downloadable expansion for us, even if it has a disc release in Japan).
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: December 29, 2012, 04:35:39 PM »

Got the game for Christmas and even with it's huge, glaring flaws it's a lot of fun. So long as you can deal with a fairly weak, barebones story and some of the really annoying rough edges it's absolutely worth getting, especially with Dark Arisen on the horizon (I'm expecting that to be a downloadable expansion for us, even if it has a disc release in Japan).

I re-bought this game for myself for christmas as well.... I gave up on it and traded it in over the summer.... but one of my clients kept yapping to me while I was tattooing them about how incredible it was and that, coupled with the siliconera news of the dark arisen, rekindled my interest.....  it also stands as one of my last four backlogged titles.... and I WILL no longer have a backlog in 2013.... no matter how annoying it proves to get through something like this without fast-travel-LoL

I will say one positive thing though... the gameplay here is addicting as all hell.... its been 6 months since I played it (give or take)... returned it... and I still think about how it would be nice to pop in and slay a foul creature or two..... with that said I'm happy to have it back in my library :)

EDIT: I also want to note that despite the bland environments, I really like the character models and customization... See everybody...... I can appreciate a western rpg..... who woulda' thunk it??...... Now if they would just give some concrete details about these pahns maybe I can get a little more immersed in this.... the hardest chunk of the non-existant story to swallow, to me, is these guys.....
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 04:42:20 PM by Klyde Chroma » Logged

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: December 29, 2012, 07:44:11 PM »

None of it will make sense until you've completed the game.  And when I say completed the game, I mean actually completed it.  There are a large number of people who see the credits and think the game is finished when there is a LOT more to do.  It is akin to the epilogue of Lunar 2: Eternal Blue - you are missing out on important content by not playing through it.

I'm actually doing another replay, with the intent of getting all remaining achievements.  There are only two other games I have ever played where I have attempted this.

There is a story in the game.  The narrative however, is not structured or delivered in a manner to hand-hold you through it.  You have to do a mixture of piecing things together yourself, not to mention that it is possible to skip right past various chunks of it due to you actively needing to retread old ground to find updated quest content for certain NPCs, which by missing will give the impression that there isn't a story.  I said the story was terrible before, but I think it's more fair to say that the story is... adequate at best.  Yet another problem is that there isn't a single compelling piece of dialogue in the game, save a certain one-liner said in Aelinore's bedroom during that fucking weird "LENOOOORE!!!!" Edgar Allen Poe sequence.  Most of the voice work is your pawns saying stupid shit to the point that it becomes white noise.

Glaring flaws hurt what would otherwise have been my game of the year.  The gameplay is stupidly addicting, especially when you get into the epilogue portion of the game and you start fighting the really good stuff.

For anyone who's on Xbox 360, my GT is Meicyn.  My pawn is quite well equipped and fights very effectively.  Just add me as a friend and you can recruit him at no cost.  That goes for anyone on your friends list, for that matter.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 07:47:05 PM by Parn » Logged
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: December 30, 2012, 01:38:21 AM »

i played both demo's on ps3 and for some reason i got pso vibes. if MH had DD's combat i might actually like it.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: December 31, 2012, 02:40:18 AM »

I'm playing this again myself.  It's like a mild dose of Dark Souls in terms of tension... it's awesome.

PSN ID is mojotron and my pawn is Zelduh... she always gets 5 stars in appearance... hire her and see why.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Humbert Humbert

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: December 31, 2012, 02:51:51 AM »

I don't understand why this whole pawn rating system is in place. Isn't the only difference between pawns their appearance and a few rudimentary AI adjustments, or am I missing the bigger picture?

The PSN demo taught me fuck all about this game.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 02:54:17 AM by Humbert Humbert » Logged
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: January 01, 2013, 01:43:10 AM »

Well, there's also skill selection, but that's the gist, yeah.

You'd be surprised how much of a difference the AI adjustments can make, though.  For example, if you're a mage or sorcerer, you'd think you'd want a fighter pawn with guardian as a trait, but that is actually a bad thing.  The issue is that the fighter pawn will draw aggro, but will stay close to you at all times.  This puts enemies in your immediate area which is NOT a good thing at all.

My fighter pawn has scather as primary and utilitarian as secondary.

It's worth noting that if you are concerned about getting five stars, make sure your pawn is female.  Gaming is filled with horny males, after all.

Anyways, finished getting all achievements.  Third game I've ever done that for.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 01, 2013, 02:02:56 AM »

It's worth noting that if you are concerned about getting five stars, make sure your pawn is female.  Gaming is filled with horny males, after all.
Yeah, I immediately got my pawn sent back with some high level stuff, and I think that's partially because I made a female one. Especially as all the gear was skimpy, haha.

I should look into the AI stuff more, I made mine aggressive and I kind of wonder if that's a bad thing for a strider, but it SEEMS to be working fine for me so far.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: January 01, 2013, 11:47:22 AM »

You want your ranged attacker as aggressive.  There's an NPC in the encampment by the rift stone that sells potions that adjust the AI.  I think they're called challenger elixirs, but they are IMO the best to give strider because that makes striders emphasize killing ranged and magic attackers first.  In hard mode, a bandit ranger can one-shot you easily with ten-fold flurry.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 01, 2013, 11:14:13 PM »

Thanks, given the crap I get from ranged attackers (especially with that knock back from some arrows) that's definitely and improvement I needed.

I actually decided to take a look at the wiki page on inclinations after that post, this would actually be a fairly simple, intuitive AI system if you could manually tweak it more or had better explanations (assuming I didn't just miss them anyway), though I think I can see what they were trying to accomplish by having it influenced by your answers to questions and behavior in battle.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: January 02, 2013, 06:15:55 PM »

It really is a poor man's gambit system.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: April 25, 2013, 10:58:50 PM »

Bumping because the Dark Arisen expansion is out.  I've purchased the expansion on PS3 for the sole purpose of not only replaying the entirety of the game for a third time, but to have 100% completion on both Xbox 360 and PS3.  If you want to rent my pawn, add Meicyn on PSN, or if you don't like me but want to use my pawn, search for my pawn also named Meicyn.  He wrecks shit pretty effectively.

For those that are not aware, Dark Arisen is basically Dragon's Dogma - Game of the Year Edition, featuring the original game, all the DLC that was released for the core game, plus a brand new dungeon that adds about 20 hours of gameplay to an already large game.

Action-RPG combat system of the generation, easily.  Nothing is more satisfying than successfully landing Mighty Bend into a cyclops' eye - that's when you know you're a pro.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: April 25, 2013, 11:43:52 PM »

Is this a retail release or digital?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: