Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 10:36:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334689 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dragon's Dogma
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 Print
Author Topic: Dragon's Dogma  (Read 32493 times)
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: May 15, 2013, 05:05:00 PM »

I don't mind the minimalistic story approach as long as the gameplay is fun and there's at least some story that you can find in some sort of fashion that drives things forward.  Sometimes those kind of games where you can just log on and do fun things without things like story getting in the way are the ones I play the most.

I really miss game rental shops.  Might just have to man up and buy it because it does look interesting.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: May 16, 2013, 01:26:06 AM »

I don't mind the minimalistic story approach as long as the gameplay is fun and there's at least some story that you can find in some sort of fashion that drives things forward.  Sometimes those kind of games where you can just log on and do fun things without things like story getting in the way are the ones I play the most.

I really miss game rental shops.  Might just have to man up and buy it because it does look interesting.
Gamefly is your friend, sir.

TASTY!
Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: May 16, 2013, 04:30:55 PM »

I think my problem with gamefly is I always say, "nah there's just one or two games I want to play. it wouldn't be worth it."  But really if I think about it, there probably are quite a few I'd like to play just for a little bit (like Deus ex HDR... but I'd rather play that on PC).  Either that or I would keep one game out for a long time because I was only playing it on weekends or something like that.

Regardless I ended up buying it for PS3 after work today.  Didn't get very far, but character customization is surprisingly awesome.  Didn't expect that many decent choices.  Combat seems fun too, but I've barely touched the surface.  Need to delve into it more this weekend but I can see why people like it.

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: May 17, 2013, 12:53:23 AM »

just picked up arisen and havent played the original yet should be fun.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Royal

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: May 21, 2013, 09:24:09 AM »

I wonder why the expansion was not reviewed by someone who already played the original game. Now I do not know if it is worth buying it if I own and finished the original. Which I enjoyed especially for 2H greatsword combat and nice heavy armor sets later in the game.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: May 21, 2013, 06:58:52 PM »

They had someone different review it likely because the reviewer for the original game hated it.  Neither reviewer liked the game, it happens.

You loved the original, so I recommend the expansion.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: May 21, 2013, 09:38:37 PM »

My character is now 115. I dragon forge the ultimate daggers, short bow, and paladin mantle, plus a bunch of other gear. She (yeah I made a chick) kicks ultra ass.

TASTY!
Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: May 22, 2013, 04:02:02 PM »

They had someone different review it likely because the reviewer for the original game hated it.  Neither reviewer liked the game, it happens.

You loved the original, so I recommend the expansion.

Curious.  If I hire your pawn (or any pawn for that matter), what will it do to the difficulty of the game if the pawn is much higher leveled?  Do you scale down or will he just wreck shit everywhere until I get somewhat close to your level?

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: May 22, 2013, 07:13:45 PM »

He will wreck shit, and you suffer an experience penalty.  Until you get to the expansion content anyway.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: May 23, 2013, 02:59:17 AM »

So I just ran through the speedrun mode and beat the seneschal in like an hour and 15 minutes...only to realize I forgot to talk to him again before using the godsbane and COMPLETELY fucked myself.

What a waste of time. Couldn't even retry.

TASTY!
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: May 24, 2013, 11:31:37 PM »

just started the game and i now think its very over rated. the amount of times ive died so far is just unacceptable to me. first it was the bandits on the way to the witch. then i got to grand soren and switched to mystic knight then went in some basement with a tentacle boss and had to die about 10 times before i realized you cant win and are supppsed to run away. and even that was a chore since i had to be a dick to my pawns and frequently hit select to restore my stamina.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: May 25, 2013, 02:06:54 AM »

Make sure you're actively replacing your pawns. They do not level up with you. Honestly, get a high level pawn off a buddy and be done with it if you're really having trouble. The exp penalty is garbage if your pawn is 2 shotting stuff for you. Personally, I avoided mage based classes like mystic knight, but I've read that they are crack in a tin can. I still prefer my sexy assassin.

If anything, level up vocations just for the assortment of abilities. Autonomy is awesome later on when running solo isn't scary, and couple it with other stat boosters and you get ludicrous damage boosts. The game does the math in a newfangled way, rather than a boost of 10% and 20% giving you 30%, it boosts your stat first by 10%, then boosts that result by the next bonus of 20%, essentially giving you a much higher bonus. Autonomy, clout, vehemence, and bloodlust give a ludicrous boost to my damage when I'm alone at night, multiplying my base damage by almost 5 times. Autonomy and Bloodlust also boost magic, so it's great for mystic knights. Both are assassin skills iirc. If you want a good warrior, you could always take my pawn. He's big and bloated, but he hits like a dump truck and is level 128 I think now.

TASTY!
wenchwogg

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: May 25, 2013, 08:14:02 PM »

Really surprised about Rob's 2 hour rant about this game on the podcast - I think it's brilliant. Maybe 20 hours in and loving it.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: May 25, 2013, 10:06:31 PM »

just started the game and i now think its very over rated. the amount of times ive died so far is just unacceptable to me. first it was the bandits on the way to the witch. then i got to grand soren and switched to mystic knight then went in some basement with a tentacle boss and had to die about 10 times before i realized you cant win and are supppsed to run away. and even that was a chore since i had to be a dick to my pawns and frequently hit select to restore my stamina.

The amount of times you die is directly proportional to your skill at the game, much like in Dark Souls.  If you don't like dying, then you need to ask yourself WHY you are dying all the time and address it appropriately.  As for the tentacle boss, your pawns tell you to flee and are even scripted to start running up the stairs out of the room.  If you decide to hang around and fight, ignoring the advice given, then the problem is you, not the game.

There are definite problems with Dragon's Dogma (the menu system is worse than Mass Effect 1, especially the unsearchable, unfiltered, unsortable menu for item forgeries, good god), but what you've said so far is all your doing.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 25, 2013, 11:13:10 PM »

The irony is how it sounds to me like the item forgeries thing was an "improvement." You could only forge what you had on you IIRC in the base game, but here you can access your full item box... and they did not redesign this to accommodate it. If it went to the same menu as managing storage at the inn it'd probably be OK, still messy with materials but mostly acceptable, but here it's just a clusterfuck.

Gifting items actually did the same it seems, but since that filters out ungiftable items it's not a big deal.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: