Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 09:20:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327321 Posts in 13403 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Square classics NOT hitting PSN today.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Square classics NOT hitting PSN today.  (Read 3491 times)
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2011, 08:41:48 AM »

I have often wondered the same thing. I have both of those games on disc and my PS3 plays PSOne discs so I certainly don't need/want copies via PSN. And I get not everyone still owns copies so PSN option may seem desirable but man EBAY has some deals and if it's zero improvement over originals then why not simply buy the originals.

Everything's Eventual
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2011, 08:59:40 AM »

So these will be the exact same shitty versions i have on disc already? Why don't they just port the SNES versions then? I know I'm not the only one who couldn't stand the load times enough not to play the games.

... They did that, for the VC, and I don't see that happening to PSN unless it was a straight up new release like Radiant Silvergun or anything else on XBLA is.

Yeah i know, but still I find it kind of stupid that they would even rerelease those awful PS1 versions without at least fixing those loading issues.

They're straight ports, changing only as much as necessary for legal/contractual issues. You fix that, you'd have to start fixing all sorts of things with other games, and short of serious glitches (PSIV had its level 99 glitch fixed for VC) that's simply not going to happen. Ergo, you'd need a PSN (and likely XBLA) re-release of the game instead. At least we can be thankful few-to-no newer games are suffering from that, given how so many PSP games run much faster on a stick (even if it's just an install).

I have often wondered the same thing. I have both of those games on disc and my PS3 plays PSOne discs so I certainly don't need/want copies via PSN. And I get not everyone still owns copies so PSN option may seem desirable but man EBAY has some deals and if it's zero improvement over originals then why not simply buy the originals.

While this is the last version I'd recommend people get of those two games (FFIV's a different story), some simply don't have a SNES, GBA/DS, or Wii to get the games on. Personally I think if you want these games you're going to find a ton at least on the DS you'd want so a lite to play them both would be worthwhile, or even the SNES, but you would need to weed through fakes of the GBA version of FFVI and if seriously nothing else interests you then it's a very questionable investment. That, and some people are crazy and don't mind the load times, so they'll stick with the PS1 versions anyway.
Bytor

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2011, 09:14:06 AM »

Oh no, I get the GBA, SNES or DS versions issue. What I meant was if you are getting the PSN versions then you have a PS3, so if no improvements why not simply buy the PSOne copies.

Everything's Eventual
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2011, 09:19:36 AM »

Oh no, I get the GBA, SNES or DS versions issue. What I meant was if you are getting the PSN versions then you have a PS3, so if no improvements why not simply buy the PSOne copies.

Ohhh, right.

... To play on the PSP. Beyond that, it's basically a wash for Anthology and a bit cheaper for Chronicles going by Amazon, some people don't want to go through eBay or whatever, and you can pick and choose which games you want this way, IE FFIV and VI but no V or CT.
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2011, 10:32:25 AM »

There is no reason to not own a DS (which can be found very cheap now) solely for Chrono Trigger. I mean, it's not exactly like there aren't hundreds of good games on that system, either.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2011, 11:16:43 AM »

Why spend time dealing with eBay looking for old long-out-of-print games (and taking a potential risk with used games: scratched discs, etc.) when you can just buy the PSN version?  I don't understand your comments...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 11:19:44 AM by Kevadu » Logged

Bytor

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2011, 11:41:12 AM »

I buy @95% of my games from EBAY, it's just like any other service. Be an educated shopper and you won't get ripped off, and if you do the vast majority of the time EBAY will cover it. In many years of shopping I've had two bad experiences, EBAY covered one and the seller replaced the non-working disc in the other instance. And once again it's all about education, know what you're looking for and you can and will find bargains, it just takes patience and I know not everyone enjoys shopping but I like looking through EBAY for deals, it's like my own personal bargain bin w/o the pesky salesman.

Everything's Eventual
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2011, 07:04:07 AM »

So I guess Square Enix wants to apologize to their fans for "trolling" :P

From ESRB.

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2011, 11:14:19 AM »

From ESRB.

NIPPLES!!! :D

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2011, 01:52:17 PM »

From ESRB.

Now there's the Squeenix we all know and loathe. Chrono Cross is nice at least, but FFO is a joke (well it's version of FFI wasn't completely nerfed yet so I guess it has that going over the other half a dozen FFI+II ports out there).

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2011, 12:01:28 AM »

From ESRB.
Isn't Chrono Cross a gem, though?

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2011, 12:02:56 AM »

Not sure what Square has to apologize for, Sony was the one who made the mistake of saying CT and FFVI would be out this week.

Chrono Cross on my PS3 would be awesome.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2011, 03:39:23 AM »

Isn't Chrono Cross a gem, though?

It depends who you ask. For all I care Chrono Cross is big a mess with a nice soundtrack, others can say to you that is the best thing ever or that it was (and still is) a very important game in the history of Square to remain neutral about the whole thing.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 04:07:42 AM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2011, 05:44:44 AM »

I think Chrono Cross is easier to appreciate with age. Quite a few still hate/dislike it, and there are areas where it feels notably weaker (or just DIFFERENT) from Chrono Trigger, but I enjoyed it and it's definitely ambitious. Where it really kicks in with the appreciation with age bit though is how Squaresoft's input changed early in the PS2 days and when they became Square Enix. They were very experimental in the 32-bit days, and you don't see as much of that now. If you do, it's either in the context of FF or something like The World Ends With You, most of the other games that'd qualify recently stayed in Japan.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2011, 05:53:29 AM »

Might have more to do with the fact that I played Cross first; but I always found it to be a better game that Trigger (it's sheer popularity is one of those things I never understood alongside DQ's; must've had to have lived it upon original release I guess). The sheer amount of recruitable characters, the Elements system, the music, the scenery...just all sort of hit my sweet spots. Funny thing is I've never been able to replay it in full for some reason. Might have to do what I did for FF8 and just buckle down and do it once it hits PSN.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: