Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 04:37:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327437 Posts in 13407 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Wizardy III: Legacy of Llylgamyn bestiary
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Wizardy III: Legacy of Llylgamyn bestiary  (Read 1107 times)
MacGyver

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: September 23, 2011, 11:45:51 AM »

Here's another bestiary, hot off the presses, that I just finished up this morning.  It's for the Super Famicom port of Wizardry III: Legacy of Llylgamyn.

http://kramwartap.fortunecity.com/wizardry3_bestiary.html

If you're unfamiliar with the Wizardry series, it's a hardcore 1st-person Dungeons & Dragons knockoff that was popular both here, and even more-so in Japan, in the 1980s-90s.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 09:06:51 PM »

I'm making a Wizardry 8 mod right now, that speeds up the in game animations immensely.

Also the SNES port of 5 was stylish as fuck

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 12:04:21 AM »

It'd be nice if Wizardry could pop up on GOG, but I half expect that the IP is in Japanese hands now, and they can be kinda bullheaded about stuff like this. Well, at least Xseed brought over the PSN game.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 12:29:16 AM »

Pretty sure whoever got the rest of SirTech's IP owns Wizardry now I guess.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 12:35:24 AM »

Pretty sure whoever got the rest of SirTech's IP owns Wizardry now I guess.

Undoubtedly a Japanese company here, it's the only place where Wizardry remains relevant at all. I'd assume Acquire, but it looks like someone else developed the PS2 game rather than them.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 08:29:59 AM »

I'd love another game like the PS2 one. The PSN release was fun, but was more like a modern W1 than tales of the forsaken land.
Jonathan Ingram
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 09:32:48 AM »

I'd assume Acquire, but it looks like someone else developed the PS2 game rather than them.

The PS2 has seven Wizardry games developed by different companies. Racjin`s Busin 0: Wizardry Alternative(known as Tales of the Forsaken Land in the West) and Busin 0: Wizardry Alternative Neo are the best of the bunch by far followed by Team Muramasa`s Wizardry Xth 1 and 2. The rest are Wizardry Empire III by Starfish and Wizardry Gaiden and Wizardry Summoner by Taito. Acquire hasn`t made a Wizardry game for the PS2 to my knowledge.

The latest installment in the series(if we can even call it a series anymore given how unrelated the games are), Wizardry Online, is being developed by the people who made Radiant Historia.

I have no idea who owns the rights to the Wizardry name these days, but it doesn`t look like acquiring them(no pun intended) is all that hard considering how many different companies have produced games under this label for the past 15 years.

I'd love another game like the PS2 one. The PSN release was fun, but was more like a modern W1 than tales of the forsaken land.

Well, the PS2 game did get a direct JP only sequel called Busin 0: Wizardry Alternative Neo which I already mentioned above:

It refines and expands the ideas of the first title, but otherwise it`s the same game, so if you`ve beaten Tales of the Forsaken Land, you`ll feel right at home in this one, language barrier or not. I`ve played it to completion without knowing a lick of Japanese and I can`t recommend it enough to anyone who liked TotFL. And there`s a rather helpful faq for it on Gamefaqs.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 02:39:33 PM »

Strategy First has the rights to Jagged Alliance now. Wonder if they have or ever will pick up wizardry.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 08:02:30 PM »

Acquire hasn`t made a Wizardry game for the PS2 to my knowledge.

While this is true, they developed the PSN title, so they did one for the PS3 instead. Two I think actually, but those were bundled into a single retail release in Japan later on.
MacGyver

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 10:42:05 AM »

After many more nights of staying up until 2 a.m., accumulating horrendously high dead monster body counts and small mountains of magical artifacts, I present to you my bestiary for Wizardry II: The Knight of Diamonds:

http://kramwartap.fortunecity.com/wizardry2_bestiary.html

This particular Wizardry game is still my favorite out of the four I've played.  Not sure exactly why, but I really like the concept of searching down and taking out pieces of a legendary suit of animate armor, which your characters can then equip upon themselves (it's a more interesting foe than the typical demon lord or evil wizard at any rate.)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 02:24:52 PM by Eusis » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: