Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 10:53:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327639 Posts in 13412 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Guild Wars 2: Were-Vikings, Technomidgets, and Plant-Based Pedobait
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: Guild Wars 2: Were-Vikings, Technomidgets, and Plant-Based Pedobait  (Read 17870 times)
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« on: September 24, 2011, 10:07:44 AM »

I have A Good Feeling about this game.  Of course, the last MMORPG I had A Good Feeling about was Warhammer Online, and you see how that motherfucker turned out.  But that's that, and this is this.

I don't think many people would argue that the average MMORPG formula is stale as fuck.  Talk to an exclamation point, read some shit, go out a kill a dozen wolves/demons/octopi/whatever, take their colons as proof, turn in, repeat forever.  That's why I find it very heartening to see the developers saying things like "Questing?  Too old."  God, I hope that ain't just PR speak.  The best thing about the aforementioned Warhammer Online was its public quest system, and if ArenaNet can pull off making the ENTIRE PvE game in a similar fashion, then I will never stop playing it.  Literally never.  I will have that shit with me in the nursing home and they will pry my keyboard out of my dead hands when the time comes.

Of course, even though a whole zone of players running a train on a boss mob will be a lovely spectacle, you can also get a little more personal.  Storytelling straight out of a single-player RPG, with choices that have actual consequence?  Sign me the fuck up.

It wouldn't be Guild Wars without PvP, and that certainly doesn't appear to have changed any.  While I'm not too big on PvP myself (and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info on it at the moment, anyway), I'm sure there will be plenty of meat for PvPers to chew on.

The classes should generally look familiar to you if you've played the first Guild Wars.  They will undoubtedly be a little different from their GW1 counterparts, mainly because the developers have outright said that they don't want anything to do with that "tank/healer/dps" bullshit.  No more channel spam for a healer in order to take care of business?  I'll take that.

I could go on and on.  I've already spent way too much time typing all this on a work day like today. :P  I don't normally get hyped up over shit, but the minds behind Guild Wars 2 are saying exactly the sorts of things I want to hear.  I really hope it delivers.

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 05:56:27 PM »

Pretty much playing SWTOR and this.  With the lack of a monthly fee, there really is no reason for anyone NOT to pick this up.  At a minimum, the game will offer an experience comparable to a single-player game with lots of MMO content alongside it.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 11:41:18 AM »

Some long gameplay footage.

An undead pirate ship and flamethrowers.  What the fuck.

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 02:35:03 AM »

Is there a consistent overworld this time? What are the drastic differences between Guild Wars 2 and a commercial MMO?
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 09:47:27 AM »

Yeah, it's a persistent world, not instanced to fuck like GW1 was.  As for what makes it different, you can crawl through those links I provided and get the gist of it, but a few things off the top of my head that make it stand out are:

• Abandonment of the traditional MMO tank/heals/DPS system
  • Strong narrative focus
  • "Dynamic Events" replacing standard questing (think WAR PQ's or Rift invasions, but everywhere)
  • Focusing on player skill instead of gear (mostly by making a gear ceiling that can be reached by anyone)

And so on.  I'm sure I'll come back from work and see that I forgot something important. :P

Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 12:17:31 PM »

Its also supposedly going to continue the "no subscription" model from the first GW. To me that's a major selling point since I tend to get bored of MMOs quite quickly. This way I can pick it up and drop it any time I feel like it without wasting money.

NOW PLAYING:
Hearthstone: I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Chaos on Deponia: Beat the first one, went straight for the second one, that says a lot.
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin: Seems ok, has mouse issues.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 04:59:24 PM »

Yeah, it's a persistent world, not instanced to fuck like GW1 was.  As for what makes it different, you can crawl through those links I provided and get the gist of it, but a few things off the top of my head that make it stand out are:

• Abandonment of the traditional MMO tank/heals/DPS system
  • Strong narrative focus
  • "Dynamic Events" replacing standard questing (think WAR PQ's or Rift invasions, but everywhere)
  • Focusing on player skill instead of gear (mostly by making a gear ceiling that can be reached by anyone)

And so on.  I'm sure I'll come back from work and see that I forgot something important. :P

Yeah this seems pretty interesting.  I like the idea of getting rid of the tank/heal/dps triad personally.  I'm sort of waiting to see what kind of leveling/single player experience there will be before jumping ship, but i'm pretty intrigued.  I like games that reward skill and am pretty curious to see how it turns out.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 05:34:53 PM »

Getting rid of the heal/tank/dps is a pretty good choice. I never really looked at GW1, but checking the video, I'm way more interested in this then SW:TOR. Heck, if it's still buy once then play whenever, who knows, I might get this.
I'm just afraid this game will be packed with PVP jerks like most other PVP games in NA...
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 08:40:29 PM »

Getting rid of the heal/tank/dps is a pretty good choice. I never really looked at GW1, but checking the video, I'm way more interested in this then SW:TOR. Heck, if it's still buy once then play whenever, who knows, I might get this.
I'm just afraid this game will be packed with PVP jerks like most other PVP games in NA...

If you're worried about getting ganked or something, don't be.  The only PvP you'll find here is the structured sort.  Battlegrounds, world versus world, guild versus guild.  No open PvP.

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 03:06:42 PM »

Top 10 reasons to be interested in Guild Wars 2 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBC_ig73aMs.  Pretty much sold on this game now.  Hopefully it turns out well because it seems pretty cool.  The mass realm PVP could be a lot of fun as well.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 04:39:17 PM »

No auto-attacks? Huh, that's pretty slick.
Meaning you have your 2 weapon skills which would be on a sword lets say "slash"  and "bigger slash" and you move around and use those?
Sounds kinda cool.
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2011, 10:57:04 PM »

Top 10 reasons to be interested in Guild Wars 2 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBC_ig73aMs.  Pretty much sold on this game now.  Hopefully it turns out well because it seems pretty cool.  The mass realm PVP could be a lot of fun as well.

Yeah, this video sold me as well. I'm gonna keep my eye on this game. Hopefully these changes will nix most of the problems I have with MMOs.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 02:34:16 AM »

Damn, now I'm really excited for this game...which is nice since there isn't even a release date announced yet. Frankly with all the big gameplay innovations I'm more excited than this than for TOR, heh.
Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 08:49:02 AM »

That video was awesome! The no auto attack thing sounds like how Tera is going to be along with having to dodge things real time. Not sure about the other stuff. I was going to try and do Tera and SWTOR but I might drop Tera and this instead...
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2011, 10:32:04 AM »

Only thing I see is, you want a good connection. If dodging is real time. Lagging just a bit could be pretty frustrating.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: