Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 30, 2014, 12:12:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329971 Posts in 13522 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Guild Wars 2: Were-Vikings, Technomidgets, and Plant-Based Pedobait
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Print
Author Topic: Guild Wars 2: Were-Vikings, Technomidgets, and Plant-Based Pedobait  (Read 18410 times)
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2012, 09:19:31 PM »

Charr are awesome.  I like their look and feel, and my charr engineer is quite fun even at these lower levels.  I can already see that deciding what my first character will be on launch day will not be an easy task. :P

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2012, 12:37:41 PM »

Liking Norns so far myself. Gotta play around a bit more though. There's a lot of hectic movement going on with so many people in the early game. It's hard to figure out kills and the like sometimes.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2012, 07:40:58 PM »

With Xpadder, I've managed to make playing this game with an Xbox 360 controller feasible.  Circle strafing melee combat is infinitely easier with two analog sticks.  This is honestly only feasible with a warrior though.  There just happens to be enough buttons to make it work feasibly.  The game's combat is infinitely more fun when you can circle strafe and get through most 1vs1 fights not taking a lick of damage.

Left stick for movement
Right stick for keyboard turning left/right (there isn't any camera control key binds)
Right stick up for auto-run
Right stick down for map
ABXY for 2-5
Push in right stick for 6 (heal)
D-pad for 7-10
Push in left stick for jump
Left trigger for dodge
Right trigger for 1
Left bumper for F1 (adrenaline dump)
Right bumper for tab targeting
Select for weapon swap
Start for interact

I hope they put in true gamepad support.  They mentioned that they're researching consoles as a possibility, to I remain hopeful.  I shoehorned in a working gamepad solution that isn't perfect, but if they really wanted to, it could definitely be done.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2012, 07:49:29 PM »

Really liking the thief and the necro, but the thief still needs a bit of work.  He dies so fast when facing more than one enemy, while the necro can easily handle three or four without getting touched. 
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2012, 10:15:23 PM »

I'm really enjoying the game, but it's just so ridiculously easy right now. It doesn't feel like any of my tactical choices matter because I either crush enemies or get slaughtered. I think part of the issue is being able to get raised by teammates-- it's awesome, but it also really makes death feel a little less awful.

Also, elementalist is amazing.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2012, 11:49:39 PM »

They will definitely have to be careful with how they balance this game.  The necro absolutely steamrolls everything right now and can handle large groups fairly well.  The thief, on the other hand, does a great job against one enemy of equal or lesser level, but anything higher and they go down fast.  Still, I'm very happy with what I've played so far. 
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2012, 12:33:32 AM »

After a tip on NeoGAF, I found a better way to map my controller using that post as inspiration.  Just a heads up for anyone else who may be interested.
Solstafir

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2012, 04:50:04 PM »

I'll echo how fragile I felt as a Thief. I think I spent most of my time just using dual pistols for the sake of not getting destroyed in all the random PvE stuff I was doing. Which was fine, since dual pistols is pretty fun.

Only did a few matches of structured PvP - seems pretty fun. I could say "x class seems ridiculous" and such, but it would be entirely meaningless considering my limited experience and how I pretty much had no idea what I was doing, haha. I could definitely dish out some damage with dual daggers if I got the chance, though. Just a matter of learning how to do so properly.

Overall, it seems like a cool game. Certainly would like them to fine tune stuff a bit (which I would think they are very much doing), but on paper it all seems great and in practice it was fun.

Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2012, 05:18:49 PM »

I think I spent most of my time just using dual pistols for the sake of not getting destroyed in all the random PvE stuff I was doing. Which was fine, since dual pistols is pretty fun.

They've got a tough act to balance there. I love the idea that melee have viable ranged options and ranged have viable up close options. But then it kind of turns into 'With no tanks, if you can fight safer at range...why wouldn't you?' So how do you make getting up close worthwhile without making ranged inferior by comparison?
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2012, 05:41:43 PM »

I think it's important to stress weapon swapping here.  You can swap between two sets at any time, and the sets have separate cool downs.  Get in close, unleash the fury when feasible, and back off quickly when it gets ugly while switching to ranged.  And never stop moving, ever.

Just to emphasize the no moving part: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHDMD6FNcHk
Solstafir

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2012, 08:22:36 PM »

Oh, I'm aware I was being terrible with [not] moving. Your video speaks for itself on just how important that shit is.

Thief skills use initiative instead of cooldowns, so doing what you said doesn't really... work for that class. I'm sure it's a wonderful plan for all the others, though.

bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2012, 09:07:37 PM »

It works perfectly fine with the Thief. Dual Pistols + Run around mobs = farming. If you set your talents and skills up right you'll have many ways to quickly regenerate your Initiative.

I didn't  have access to the beta but I've seen plenty from my friend play. Currently Mesmer and Thief look most interesting to me. Thief has a ton of stealth/escape options and the Mesmer has clones for diversions and has a few stealth skills. Looking forward to GW2 and thats saying a lot considering I generally dislike MMOs.

As for what race I want to play? Human Noble(Mesmer) or Human Street Rat (Thief). Why? Because I'm a racist and have a strong need to defend the last best hope of humanity against the tide of degenerate races that plague this world. Whats that about GW2 about uniting the races to face a common threat? :P

Behold the Glory of Humanity (Amazing how many think like me, LOL):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v6yB6gos8g&feature=related
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 09:54:24 PM by bigdeath » Logged
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2012, 03:59:44 PM »

I didn't play it a ton, but the mesmer clones didn't do a ton for me.  They either tanked a mob or got one shotted and disappeared.  I'm sure there is still a ton of tweaking left to do, but that was my initial impression at least.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Solstafir

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2012, 01:04:25 AM »

It works perfectly fine with the Thief. Dual Pistols + Run around mobs = farming. If you set your talents and skills up right you'll have many ways to quickly regenerate your Initiative.
I like that Thief has a bunch of stuff to regain initiative. Especially nice for dual pistols that Roll for Initiative rolls you backwards and all, too.

I meant specifically switching weapon sets for the purpose to using the other skills that weren't on cooldown since Thief has no cooldowns on the normal skills.

Admittedly was a pretty worthless/obvious thing to add to my post, but yeah.

bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2012, 03:02:46 AM »

I thought each weapon set for the Thief has their own initiative but you only regenerate imitative with the weapon set your currently using. Which meant that when both your Weapon Sets are full of Initiative, you can spike a lot of damage by switching between them.

Or did that change in the latest beta this past weekend?

I didn't play it a ton, but the mesmer clones didn't do a ton for me.  They either tanked a mob or got one shotted and disappeared.  I'm sure there is still a ton of tweaking left to do, but that was my initial impression at least.

Mesmer Clones seem put to better use just by Shattering them for more Damage or Distortion to protect yourself in melee.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 03:08:06 AM by bigdeath » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: