Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 28, 2014, 01:09:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329760 Posts in 13518 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  bad gaming memory
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: bad gaming memory  (Read 1785 times)
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« on: September 24, 2011, 02:44:30 PM »

I just spent 5 minutes watching Kings Field footage, trying to remember if I played it back then or not.

I vaguely remember playing an old school 1st person dungeon crawler like that.

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 03:23:32 PM »

I think I can name 90% of all the games I've ever played. Most of the ones I can't recall very well are from the Commodore 64 days. I was only 4, maybe 5, when I played those.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 07:54:05 PM »

King's Field is totally bullshit unless you play it with savestates in which case it becomes amazing because you can actually make progress.

Really it's a pretty cool game but for fucks sake why are there so few save points.

But yeah aside from the JP-only Ultima Underworld port, the KF games were the only first-person 3D action-RPG dungeon crawlers on the PSX. And now I want to go play them.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 08:15:52 PM »

Kinda wish save states were something you could do on the PS3/PSP, maybe Sony will support them for the PSVita?

And I never knew Ultima Underworld hit the PS1. Kinda wished it hit over hear until I saw gameplay footage, probably for the best that you'll have to "settle" for buying the two games bundled together on GOG instead.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 08:29:08 PM »

I have been credited for my ability to retain [pointless] information.  I remember *everything* I've played, even the old-ass-blow-inside-it Nintendo games.  I even remember minor nuances to beating parts or getting secrets.  Same goes with movies, I have a pet peeve with people who can't remember if they've seen a flick or not... way to have 2 hours of your life matter absolutely nothing at all. =P

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 08:33:24 PM »

I have been credited for my ability to retain [pointless] information.  I remember *everything* I've played, even the old-ass-blow-inside-it Nintendo games.  I even remember minor nuances to beating parts or getting secrets.  Same goes with movies, I have a pet peeve with people who can't remember if they've seen a flick or not... way to have 2 hours of your life matter absolutely nothing at all. =P

They were living in the moment, Dice! :D

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 10:43:15 PM »

And I never knew Ultima Underworld hit the PS1. Kinda wished it hit over hear until I saw gameplay footage, probably for the best that you'll have to "settle" for buying the two games bundled together on GOG instead.

Eusis the PS1 version sort of replaced the Doom-ish graphics with really, really bad 3D models (if that is what you are talking about). Also I wouldn't be surprised if it removed a lot of the details because I do NOT believe Origin handled the port and the game had a lot of little things that are not apparent unless you either play it extensively or have access to design docs/source.

That and you REALLY need a mouse for that game.

My problem with gaming memory, btw, is sometimes I have memories about playing games, but I can't remember if they're real games or dreams. Sometimes they are from dreams, and really cool games, but I wake up and they don't exist. Other times I play a game later and it ends up being exactly like the ones in my dream. Examples:

- Prior to getting Secret of Mana, I had a dream about it where it was like... a much more nocturnal looking game than it was. There were like weird circuses/carnivals and I think stuff in general had a more SD3ish look to it.

- I have this one memory of a game that's like... there's this jungle area, with big, monolithic bases rising out of it. SORT OF like the fortress age in uru, if you've played it, or Shingrow from SGF, but it's not those. I think it might be Arc the Lad 1 if it's a real game. It was definitely 2D.

- I had this dream about playing Chrono Trigger or something before I got it and then when I got SGF it looked like that dream, except I think I am remembering shit out of order.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 11:16:53 PM »

Well, I couldn't tell you a single thing from seeing Batman & Robin, other than that I actually saw it. It just turned out so awful that my friends and I had a food fight instead.

As for games, I'm pretty good at remembering what I've played. There's a few fuzzy moments, like that one hour of Super Mario 64 before I turned it off after the camera made me nauseous.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 11:37:34 PM »

As for games, I'm pretty good at remembering what I've played. There's a few fuzzy moments, like that one hour of Super Mario 64 before I turned it off after the camera made me nauseous.

I actually still remember that myself.  I didn't get nauseous, though, but I remember what it was like for the first time to "adjust to 3D gaming" and getting weirded out by a rotating camera as I moved.... I walked into walls many-a-time.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 12:00:34 AM »

The only game that remotely came close to giving me vertigo is descent
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 08:18:51 PM »

I replayed Shining Force II recently after first playing it in 1994 or 1995, and while it was still pretty good, it certainly wasn't the game I remember it being. I swore that the very best part of the game was where you fought a series of battles at sea, and you ended up visiting a floating raft town in the middle of the ocean. When I went to back to it there was no raft town, and just one battle against a kraken in a river. I think my nostalgia for it must have morphed memories of other games together.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 08:23:41 PM by DPB » Logged
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 08:46:02 PM »

I can remember almost every game I have played since I was about seven but I can't necessarily name all of them. Especially some of the SNES stuff, I sort of didn't really take note of any titles besides Mario, DK and Megaman. The thing about games, or at least RPGs, is that you tend to invest a lot of time in them and it's hard to just forget all of that. The memories are there, just not the labels! It takes me a while to remember what Shadow Madness is called or which of the Legaia games was the one I played. There was a point in my life when I just *started* a lot of RPGs but didn't necessarily finish them.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 03:32:35 AM »

I have a pretty good memory of a lot of games I've played.  The NES era is a little fuzzy, but I remember playing Star Tropics, Ninja Turtles, Felix the Cat, and the Sesame Street game! I find that little details slip by after years go by. Earthbound is my favorite games and the most memorable part of it for me was having to stand under that god forsaken waterfall for a certain amount of time (thank you Nintendo Help Line!).  There's also plenty games I'd like to forget. Rule of Rose was so demented.  I can't think about it without getting chillls!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 03:34:46 AM by Kstar » Logged

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 06:30:20 AM »

My gaming memory is mostly related to me directly playing the game. Outside of the game itself I'll have almost no recollection but if I start it up there's a good chance I'll remember almost everything that happens. There's only a few games like Phantasy Star IV or Lunar that I remember  completely because I beat them so many times.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: