Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2014, 03:22:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319825 Posts in 13050 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Enchanted Arms
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Enchanted Arms  (Read 2286 times)
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« on: September 01, 2006, 10:42:29 PM »

Hey, I was just wondering if anyone here(with a 360) has checked this game out.  I picked up a copy today and so far it seems pretty good.  It's odd to see a J-Rpg on the 360 but I think From Software has done a pretty good job with it.  The battle system is entertaining as it's sort of grid based, not unlike ..say Arc The Lad: Twighlight.  I'm still not too sure about the music or voice work but i've only played for a couple of hours. The characters are kind of bland(and one is openly homosexual) so far but like I said i'm still just basically starting the story so hopefully things will pick up.  Anyway, that's about it.  I'd be interested to hear any comment and hopefully a review here.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 10:47:15 PM »

Seems to be getting mostly decent scores, but not high enough to warrant rushing out and buying it, espicially with what the reviews say. I'll wait until a price drop.
Shadow Blade

shadowblade_x@hotmail.com shadowbladex8@ao
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 12:31:15 AM »

Most of the reviews are 7ish. Means that it's not great by any means but not bad either. The main negatives are the voice acting and the fact that some places are vacant. Luckily the battle system is great.

What?!
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 05:11:55 AM »

the openly gay charachter is hilarious haha

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=...wmv&pl=game

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Mana Knight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 08:31:03 AM »

When I get an Xbox 360 soon, I will get the game.  A 7 is still a good score to me, since I liked many RPGs that got a 6-7 before.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 10:46:58 AM »

A real RPG review can only be given by a person who has played and finished the game. In my opinion!

Agreed. That's my standard for reviewing RPGs. Hence, why I haven't reviewed the Aht Urhgan FFXI expansion: the storyline isn't completed yet.

Anyway, I've gone ahead and rented this title, seeing if I can clear through it in a rental and review it. Personally, based on what I saw at E3, I'm excited about it. I'm glad that Ubisoft is releasing otherwise-not-going-to-be-released RPGs in the US and Europe.

Ramza

Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 11:57:57 AM »

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2006/1438.html

And now the game is headed for PlayStation 3. Not really suprising, given the sales of the 360 in Japan. Leaving aside the platform issue, the game did not look too impressive to me. Then again, I have never been a fan of From Software's games.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 12:15:41 PM »

I wasn't big into From Software until I discovered THEY made that game with US president in a mecha.

Ramza

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 02:21:36 PM »

Quote from: "Kup"
I'm going to be starting Enchanted Arms first of course and am looking forward to it very much!

Ofcourse? That doesn't make sense to me. Dead Rising is pure zombie awesome on a disc. I have yet to play Enchanted Arms, but I willing to bet Dead Rising kicks it's ass. :P
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2006, 05:03:49 PM »

For the non-Penny Arcade readers:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/09/06

The link to the comic for some reason is broken or something. Click the link at the top.

Hilarity to say the least. I read the review in question and....it just sounds like the guy doesnt really enjoy RPGs anyway.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Shadow Blade

shadowblade_x@hotmail.com shadowbladex8@ao
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2006, 05:07:40 PM »

The Enchanted Arms strip was decent, like most of PA's, but the Disgaea one was awesome.

What?!
Mana Knight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2006, 10:15:50 PM »

Well, I might end up getting the PS3 version also, if it adds anything new.  I definitely can't wait to play the game, but I'm going to wait for it to go on sale (a little broke after just getting a 360).
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2006, 12:57:48 AM »

That PA post by Gabe (should be up right now, "I Review a Review") is a really smart way to look at game reviews. I mean, it's really obvious and simple but it's great in it's simplicity. I don't really rent games too much but it wouldn't be too hard and it would let me play a game for myself, effectively creating my own opinion of the game which I can base a purchase on. It's as simple as that. I don't really know why I didn't think of that before. I used to just read reviews and buy good games based on the reviews but now I think reviews will matter less for me.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2006, 01:32:08 AM »

The problem is practicality in renting games. If you want to rent them enough to get a GameFly subscription, that's the perfect solution. But Blockbuster (and seemingly Hollywood Video) has been aiming more and more towards only the big mainstream titles to carry. You used to be able to get some good RPGs and other minor titles; in fact, I think it was rare that Blockbuster didn't have the game I wanted to rent during the 16 bit era. But they've been a pain about 32-bit games, and have just gotten worse and worse since then thanks to gaming's increasing popularity.

And just to rub salt into the wound, the prices are getting nuts. If I'm remembering right, it's 8 dollars just to rent a damn game. That's like paying for anywhere between a fourth to a sixth of the game - makes it more useful to me for renting games I think I'll also /beat/ within that time frame, espicially when I'm more likely to find those types of games than the ones that'll last me for way longer.

Personally, going by what i'm hearing from other reviews and the like, it sounds like 7's about right - a competently done RPG that's entertaining, but brings nothing new to the table. I'll look into it later, just not right now.

Also, reading up on the other posts, I think a review can be done just fine without beating the game, but it depends on the type of game, and what you're going for. A story can't really be properly scored without at least knowing what all will happen, but I think when it comes to just gameplay most can be safely scored when you're halfway through, espicially more gameplay focused titles like Paper Mario or DQ. Gameplay can take a nose dive at some point, like I've heard happens for Grandia III, but in most games it just seems to have some points where it stumbles for a bit. It could even go in the reverse and rise up higher, but that usually happens after a few hours, and if it hasn't done that by the halfway point then I don't think that's enough to really save an unfun game anyway.

And MMOs seem to be a bit more tricky to me, and I dare say /requires/ being reviewed unfinished. Waiting until they've got all the content out is a noble endeavor, but doing it really late after the release makes it near-pointless for anyone trying to decide if it's worth purchasing or not, and the games are constantly changing and evolving. Even if you had an accurate review of after all the story content is out, there can and will be patches that change the gameplay experince, perhaps enough for a re-rating. What'd probably be a good compromise is an immediate review after a good amount of playtime's been put in, then a re-review after the storyline is complete. Or at the least, a paragraph or two explaining how different it is from the original time of review and when the expansion was fully opened.

But then I don't even playing MMOs, let alone FFXI, so hey. :P

Edit: Oh, and demos can be a good compromise for budget and renting, espicially since you can get them on the PS2 for just 5 bucks, and download them for free on the X360. Problem again is that 15 minutes or however long is usually only enough if replayed a few times, and sometimes a game just has a shitty demo. If I based my purchasing decisions solely on the demo of Xenogears and not the reviews, I would've missed out (or been spared depending on who you asked, but I enjoyed it at the time, so whatever). Hell, RPGs generally don't lend themselves well to demoes anyway; they need to be of significant length (like Lunar and DQVIII's) to be of any value beyond 'Yay a first look!'. SH3's might be the exception, but not because it gave me enough time to play, but rather that it lasted long enough to show me it really wasn't all that different gameplay-wise from SH:C.
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2006, 02:30:41 AM »

You raise a bunch of vaild points, especially with cost concerns. I haven't rented a game in probably around a year, so $8 for a rental is a bit higher than I was expecting. I was considering a GameFly subscription, but then, as you mentioned, there weren't enough games that I wanted to rent at the time. I doubt I will rent a LOT of games (old habits die hard), but rentals will certainly be useful for games like Enchanted Arms that get solid 7's and it would be hard to decide based on reviews or for shorter games where you could beat them in 10-12 hours.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: