Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2014, 09:52:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331523 Posts in 13574 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Rage
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Rage  (Read 4362 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2011, 01:11:38 PM »

The reception the game is getting and what it offers is throwing all of the little interest that I have for this out of the window and confusing me in the process, don't know what to think about the "weak story and characters" that a lot of people have said too.

It looks like a nice game with no "substance" or reason to be other than showing the id Tech 5 engine.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2011, 01:28:17 PM »

It's an id game.  Did people actually expect strong story and characters?

What surprises me is that id is still making tech demos when they're not licensing out their tech anymore...

Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2011, 06:51:28 PM »

Actually the storytelling is pretty decent, and the voice actors are really well done. Remember it's not a full fledged RPG, but what's there is pretty solid. Honestly, all the reviews i've read seem to have this expectation of another Fallout. Basically it's Mad Max the videogame. Your not going to get high prose here. What is there is a beautiful, competent shooter with some solid storytelling and top notch gameplay. While there still remains some technical issues to wrangle through, the game is fun as hell. Fallout bored me to tears, so this is right up my alley.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2011, 08:46:20 PM »

From the footage I've seen I really love how aggressive the bad guys are. They move in a very interesting and unpredictable way. Climbing over things, taking crazy angles, etc.

I will be getting this at some point for sure and I'm sure I'll have a blast.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2011, 01:14:26 AM »

Yesterday I discovered that some people where disappointed with this game it doesn't has RPG elements but Rage was never shown like that type of game, I think that this people created the fact in their heads that a video game with a wasteland is automatically an RPG by default thanks to Fallout 3 and/or Borderlands.

But anyway, I might get this after all in December if I manage to get the money by that month. Brad Shoemaker from Giant Bomb sold the game for me with his review and besides the beta of Battlefield 3 is nice but that game is not really for me... I guess I'll have to use that EA account for NFS: The Run.
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2011, 09:29:53 PM »

I got the game tonight and while I only played a few minutes, I was impressed by what I played. It seemed a bit like Borderlands. Go to new areas, kill enemies, loot bodies. But like I said, I only played a few minutes. Also, this is THE best looking console game I've ever seen. I got the 360 version and it looks like some newer PC games. Pretty unreal looking. Also, the awesome factor went through the roof when I realized John Goodman does voice acting. I hope he's throughout the game, but I have a feeling he dies son as he's probably expensive to get for long voiceover sessions.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2011, 07:02:00 PM »

Why was the PC launch of Rage such a "Cluster!@#$"?
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2011, 05:46:09 PM »

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-rage-face-off

Go with the 360 version if ou have the choice (unless you're going for PC of course). I was wondering how they were achieving rock solid 60fps. They are using dynamic resolution. Ever since wipeout HD was released I've been wondering why it isn't used more often.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2011, 07:54:40 PM »

Played about 4 hours into the game on PC, if you do their recommended steam command lines and force AA on, the game runs solid and is beautiful. One bug so far (jumped into my buggy and was shot a million feet into the air so being the thinking man that i am, I decided that if i was stuck in air in the buggy, why not exit the buggy? I did where upon i then fell for a good 10 solid seconds and hit the ground dying. Best bug ever.)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2011, 01:37:02 AM »

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-rage-face-off

Go with the 360 version if ou have the choice (unless you're going for PC of course).

Well, that's disappointing. This is like Red Dead Redemption or BioShock all over again for me...

I guess I'll have to skip this for the moment because after playing BioShock, Bayonetta and Red Dead Redemption on PS3 I'm sick and tired of buying "the borked version" of multiplatform games. Is just a waste of my time and money.

I'm still enjoying my copies of Portal 2 and DX:HR on my PS3 though.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2011, 06:24:44 PM »

Had a chance to try this out on PC.

The story and setting are very similar to fallout 3, it's a generational leap in terms of visuals though. Strip all the rpg elements and VATS from fallout 3 and replace them with the ability to drive vehicls and extremely satisfying gunplay and you'll have a very good idea of what to expect.
You can combine the loot you collect to create items like in fallout 3. The NPCS are very well designed, all of them are unique and the female characters are hot as hell lol, don't expect to run across the same character model with slightly different colors every few minutes.
Technically the game needed more polish, let's see what updates they release in the future, the underlying tech has potential though, I don't know how mod friendly the engine is but I'm expecting to see some great stuff in the near future.

I played it a bit more and the amount of low res textures is really disappointing, the game can look very good and then look like shit in a matter of seconds. There's no excuse for this on the PC version, what the hell ID?

« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 07:31:11 PM by CDFN » Logged

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2011, 01:17:40 AM »

Just started the game. Controls and moves like a dream and looks stunning. Things look meh close up but there's so much variety in everything you hardly notice.

Just played the 1st "level" and everyone is spot on. It's basically a single player borderlands w/ much better control and aiming. It's worth a look if you find it on sale like I did.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2011, 10:48:45 AM »

Picked it up from the bargain bin and though I still have a long way to go (campaign is supposed to be 15-20 hours depending on sidequests) it's definitely the best FPS of the year for me.
It's a shame the graphics are so inconsistent, when you're in the wasteland the textures on the rock formations are absolutely incredible and you can definitely why Carmack was so excited, but in interiors low res textures are everywhere.
Love the art style and the atmosphere.
Like I said above the gunplay is fantastic, weapons and enemy reactions to your shots feel great.

Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2011, 11:26:28 AM »

How many weapons are there? I was looking in the manual and was sad to see only pistol, assault rifel, and shotgun.

The feeling of the weapons and how they affect the enemies is great though. But a lot has to be said for the way they move. After playing MW3 it's refreshing to fight the baddies in Rage. I love the way they hop all over, try for different cover, and even swing off the ceiling and shit.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2011, 11:29:02 AM »

How many weapons are there? I was looking in the manual and was sad to see only pistol, assault rifel, and shotgun.

There are a lot, you just need to progress more.

The feeling of the weapons and how they affect the enemies is great though. But a lot has to be said for the way they move. After playing MW3 it's refreshing to fight the baddies in Rage. I love the way they hop all over, try for different cover, and even swing off the ceiling and shit.

Yeah I absolutely love that.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: